• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Project P15 just about finished.... offset shroud update...

Hi Jamie, my Darko mag was posted 9 April , the day after ordering, and arrived today 20 April. The tracker only worked in Croatia, and the mag was last shown to have been sent abroad on 9 April. from Zagreb. My 3 sons and I share two P15s, the Darko single shot loader was fitted to one, and the magazine fitted to the other, as usual with the younger generation, no reference was made to instructions, and both were simply loaded and firing in no time. A tin of pellets later between them and finished on a high with some very good groups. The younger son wondered how bad the OE magazine could be, and having failed to load it, asked for the instructions. .... The upshot was that they would like a Darko mag. for each gun, so another order for Darko, soon to be on it's way. The magazines are brilliant, I am sure you won't be disappointed. The only problem we had with one of the P15s was slight, the link pin on the cocking lever began to drop out and fouled the action, so it would not cock, Just pushed it back and all was well. will have to look for a cure before we lose it. 

Hi Jamie, my Darko mag was posted 9 April , the day after ordering, and arrived today 20 April. The tracker only worked in Croatia, and the mag was last shown to have been sent abroad on 9 April. from Zagreb. My 3 sons and I share two P15s, the Darko single shot loader was fitted to one, and the magazine fitted to the other, as usual with the younger generation, no reference was made to instructions, and both were simply loaded and firing in no time. A tin of pellets later between them and finished on a high with some very good groups. The younger son wondered how bad the OE magazine could be, and having failed to load it, asked for the instructions. .... The upshot was that they would like a Darko mag. for each gun, so another order for Darko, soon to be on it's way. The magazines are brilliant, I am sure you won't be disappointed. The only problem we had with one of the P15s was slight, the link pin on the cocking lever began to drop out and fouled the action, so it would not cock, Just pushed it back and all was well. will have to look for a cure before we lose it.

A coiled spring pin works very well. I went to this version a couple of years ago and never looked back. Purposely bought longer than needed, cut to length when installed. Works like a champ.

tWdAfr1.png
[/url][/img]

Darko mags arrive in 9 days and are quite simply superb. Must say ive never neen a fan of anything 3d printed, but his mags are light, slick and and just put the P15 ownership experience where it should be.

Been doing some more mods to the gun over the last couple of weeks. After fitting the longer weihrauch barrel I had to extend the existing shroud to keep the report down. This didnt sit well with me as its compact length was one of its main features IMO.

As there wasnt much room between the barrel and cylinder decided to try my hand at making an offset shroud. Now at this point its worth noting I have limited experience on my lathe, its 80 odd years old and doesnt have auto feed ( so unable to cut threads). This is the solution I came up with....

1588315819_15742717655eabc6ab54fbe2.66497978.jpg

1588315888_13251034895eabc6f0e46717.81700836.jpg

Quite happy how it came out. At 12fpe on an app, which of course doesnt mean much, reading is 58db. I tried a couple of different washers/ baffles in front of muzzle but with limited space it didnt do much. However fitting some carbon filter material from an old dehumidifier changed the tone, which is probably just as important.

1588315940_10135714445eabc724492bf4.71450438.jpg

The tube is 32mm ID and vented at the rear. Although I prefer the look of the bare ali the finish looks better in the pics than it is, so have for now just used some 3d carbon fibre wrap to finish.

Have also removed the buttpad extensions to further reduce the overall length again, originally felt like I needed cheek weld to be behind mag, but having now shot it a fair bit can get comfortable with cheek just in front of mag....

1588317468_6168574595eabcd1c918c42.99558721.jpg

Jamie,

Great work on your P15. The offset moderator is a brilliant piece! Obviously your equipment did not limit your skills.

I have two of the P15's I bought from Krale when they first started to come to light almost two years ago. I have one each in .177 and .22, the .177 has had the most range time and shoots obnoxiously well and the .22 has only had about 200 shots through it, but was also shooting exceptionally well. When I finally get time at the range again I need to give them some use.

Your offset moderator is what I have in mind for my BSA Super10.

Mark

Thanks Crank,

It was the first time id plucked up the courage to use the 4 jaw chuck! Getting more comfortable using the lathe now so may make another with a carbon tube, maybe 35mm ID....

Glad to hear your P15's are both shooting well, from what I have read they really start to come alive above 20fpe so may well put mine on my ticket at some point.

Have you noticed any reg creep in yours over night? I have just fitted a huma in mine which was an immediate fix so (as always with a huma) can recommend.... 

Cant say I have seen an S10 with off set shroud before so that would be great, always nice to see people pushing things forwards!

All the best.

Jamie,

Those P15's have held air over a year now and if there has been any regulator creep, I couldn't tell. As for overnight, back when I was initially goofing around with them there didn't seem to be any evidence of creep or velocity irregularity. Both of them are definitely well above FAC levels, so that may be true about being a better performer at higher power levels.

The reason I am considering the offset for the S10, is that it has the factory moderator hanging off the end of the barrel and makes a fairly long package. I am leaning towards a shroud that would provide enough volume and shorten the overall length, rather than shortening the barrel. I'm just still a fan of the S10 and think they still have a lot to offer in today's world. Too many people have relegated them to the dustbin (mentally) as an obsolete design.

Mark

Im with you on that crank, big S10 fan, but have to say I think you made the wise choice in removing the reg/ cigar (on the one in your thread). I had all of mine rebuilt by Bowkett so didnt have any drama's, but understand they can be one of the trickiest out there to dismantle and repair yourself....

Back to the shroud....

I threaded this bit- 

1588349262_12207450855eac494e7192e1.46975725.jpg

....and made it from delrin, made things much easier when playing with exit hole size before committing to ali.... something you may want to incorporate into your design!

Cheers.