EDgun Project Leshiy 2 “RatFLEX”

weevil

Dec 19, 2022
Utah
My last winter (re)build/project involves my L2, which was a simple 177/250mm REPR that was used for pesting/plinking in the yard and backpacked for hiking and skiing. It was made redundant by my Huben GK1 and I wanted to repurpose it as a dedicated ratter. The goal is to shoot small Zan 177 slugs out to 100y accurately and quietly - two things that the L2 isn’t particularly good at, at least relative to other, bolt-action 177 slug guns.

I first tried upgrading to an Alfa 450mm barrel to juice up the shooting to 20-25fpe. Accuracy was pretty good with Zan 10 and 13 grain slugs, aside from the odd flyer. In terms of sound, it was a bit louder than I’d favor, using a variety of mods. Overall, it didn’t meet my goals but I did learn that a favorable combination of traits was to (1) retain the dog bone and collar for a very tight ES, and (2) running a high reg pressure with large jets produces a quiet, efficient and snappy shot cycle (producing good slug accuracy).

I then decided to try the Flex approach using a Huma adapter and FX liner/barrel sleeve and shroud. I used a 177 500mm heavy liner that came from Europe that I already knew to have stellar performance with the little Zan pills in my M3.

IMG_0729.jpeg

Initial testing was made with 150bar reg and 2.2mm total jetting shooting the 10g slugs at 970fps. No doubt, the platform is capable of much more but that’s not my goal here. If I can shoot beyond 80y accurately then I’ll take the quieter, more efficient 10g slugs over their larger siblings.

The first evaluation of this approach , using a standard barrel setup with the liner secured with 2 orings and the FX shroud in place was pretty good. Accuracy was on a par with the Alfa barrel but the fliers were gone. I’d say 1.5-2moa at 80y. However, a big improvement was observed in terms of sound. The FX shroud and an IA1200 mod completely silenced the front end, leaving only the action noise which is pretty mute with the high reg pressure/large jets producing a very snappy cycle. Unquestionably backyard friendly and no louder than popping open a can of soda.

Still, I felt that the accuracy could improve so I set about making the liner and barrel more rigid. First, installed a carbon liner sleeve bonded with silicone and wrapped the ends of the liner with Teflon tape to ensure a snug fit into the FX jam nut and TP adapter:

IMG_0734.png

Then, over a few weeks I tried various methods of making the barrel more rigid. Sparing the details, I ended up using a printed piece to fill the gap between action and shroud. Because the shroud and printed “buffer” might not have perpendicular ends, they were put together using epoxy washers, with the shroud getting tightened down while the epoxy was soft, to create a natural fit. The shroud and action surface were first coated with silicone to prevent the epoxy from sticking, allowing the shroud and buffer tube to be removable. Shot with just the buffer tube on: (ignore orings - they were superseded by the epoxy attachment method)

IMG_0724.jpeg

Following mounting of the shroud, a CF tube with an ID matching the OD of the shroud was slipped over and glued in situ to the printed buffer. Note that this is not working as a tensioner, just a stiffener.

IMG_0727.jpeg

IMG_0728.jpeg

IMG_0726.jpeg

The whole arrangement is very rigid, consistent in POI and increased in accuracy.

8 shots at 80y:

IMG_0730.jpeg

The slugs extracted from the duct seal:

IMG_0731.jpeg

And 8 at 100y:

IMG_0732.jpeg

Pretty happy with this 21fpe performance and I don’t think I could do better with this trigger. Certainly minute of rat out to 100. Will be playing around with jets, speeds and trying out the 13g in the next week.

Last edited:
Wow! You my friend are awesome. I can't wait to read how this develops! I have had good accuracy with the 450 Alpha and the NSA slugs from EdgunWest. This is 8 shots at 50 yards.View attachment 436235
That looks good - better than I could get with the Alfa and Zans. What weight NSA and reg, jet settings etc? (If you don’t mind)

Last year I did a lot of testing with the .22x600 FX conversion and I liked the results much better vs the original x350 AP barrel.
What I could not manage is - a blow by between the mag and the barrel insert. No matter how I am trying to eliminate a micron gap, when I raise the gun against a backlight I can see that little gap....with a magnifying glass...
I got a feel that the barrel clamping hole was bored under slight angle (to get a MOA on the top picatinni rail) and the magazine is not sitting perfectly perpendicular.
This doesn't bother the accuracy but makes a noise.
I was thinking to remove the silver backplate and shim it, but so far I was more lazy I could not bother with.
For a Fall-Winter setup I removed again the FX liner and put back a Russian .22x500 polygonal barrel for a slower speed.
90 bars on REPR, 2x08 jets, produces 810 fps with 16 gn Hades. The gun is acceptable quieter, but the blow by...and btw the shot count is impressive :)

Reactions: weevil
I had a PM regarding my description of an “epoxy washer”. This is just a chunk of resin molded into a donut/washer when it’s partly set. It is then placed between (in my case) the shroud and printed buffer such that the epoxy ends up forming a mating surface between the ends of the shroud and buffer, or the buffer and the action when the shroud is tightened on. Obviously the buffer is printed with a length that is 2mm short at each mating surface to accommodate the buffer.

Here is a shot of the first one I made. I subsequently reprinted the plastic buffer to exactly match the shroud OD so that the CF tube would be snug:

IMG_0725.jpeg

Last year I did a lot of testing with the .22x600 FX conversion and I liked the results much better vs the original x350 AP barrel.
What I could not manage is - a blow by between the mag and the barrel insert. No matter how I am trying to eliminate a micron gap, when I raise the gun against a backlight I can see that little gap....with a magnifying glass...
I got a feel that the barrel clamping hole was bored under slight angle (to get a MOA on the top picatinni rail) and the magazine is not sitting perfectly perpendicular.
This doesn't bother the accuracy but makes a noise.
I was thinking to remove the silver backplate and shim it, but so far I was more lazy I could not bother with.
For a Fall-Winter setup I removed again the FX liner and put back a Russian .22x500 polygonal barrel for a slower speed.
90 bars on REPR, 2x08 jets, produces 810 fps with 16 gn Hades. The gun is acceptable quieter, but the blow by...and btw the shot count is impressive :)
As far as I can tell, I am getting less air escaping with the Huma Flex piece than I was with the Alfa barrel.

I guess I didn’t mention shot count. I’m getting 4 mags from 250-160 with the stock tube. Hopefully, I can squeeze it up to 985 with a small change in jetting.

My last winter (re)build/project involves my L2, which was a simple 177/250mm REPR that was used for pesting/plinking in the yard and backpacked for hiking and skiing. It was made redundant by my Huben GK1 and I wanted to repurpose it as a dedicated ratter. The goal is to shoot small Zan 177 slugs out to 100y accurately and quietly - two things that the L2 isn’t particularly good at, at least relative to other, bolt-action 177 slug guns.

I first tried upgrading to an Alfa 450mm barrel to juice up the shooting to 20-25fpe. Accuracy was pretty good with Zan 10 and 13 grain slugs, aside from the odd flyer. In terms of sound, it was a bit louder than I’d favor, using a variety of mods. Overall, it didn’t meet my goals but I did learn that a favorable combination of traits was to (1) retain the dog bone and collar for a very tight ES, and (2) running a high reg pressure with large jets produces a quiet, efficient and snappy shot cycle (producing good slug accuracy).

I then decided to try the Flex approach using a Huma adapter and FX liner/barrel sleeve and shroud. I used a 177 500mm heavy liner that came from Europe that I already knew to have stellar performance with the little Zan pills in my M3.

View attachment 436117

Initial testing was made with 150bar reg and 2.2mm total jetting shooting the 10g slugs at 970fps. No doubt, the platform is capable of much more but that’s not my goal here. If I can shoot beyond 80y accurately then I’ll take the quieter, more efficient 10g slugs over their larger siblings.

The first evaluation of this approach , using a standard barrel setup with the liner secured with 2 orings and the FX shroud in place was pretty good. Accuracy was on a par with the Alfa barrel but the fliers were gone. I’d say 1.5-2moa at 80y. However, a big improvement was observed in terms of sound. The FX shroud and an IA1200 mod completely silenced the front end, leaving only the action noise which is pretty mute with the high reg pressure/large jets producing a very snappy cycle. Unquestionably backyard friendly and no louder than popping open a can of soda.

Still, I felt that the accuracy could improve so I set about making the liner and barrel more rigid. First, installed a carbon liner sleeve bonded with silicone and wrapped the ends of the liner with Teflon tape to ensure a snug fit into the FX jam nut and TP adapter:

View attachment 436152

Then, over a few weeks I tried various methods of making the barrel more rigid. Sparing the details, I ended up using a printed piece to fill the gap between action and shroud. Because the shroud and printed “buffer” might not have perpendicular ends, they were put together using epoxy washers, with the shroud getting tightened down while the epoxy was soft, to create a natural fit. The shroud and action surface were first coated with silicone to prevent the epoxy from sticking, allowing the shroud and buffer tube to be removable. Shot with just the buffer tube on: (ignore orings - they were superseded by the epoxy attachment method)

View attachment 436162

Following mounting of the shroud, a CF tube with an ID matching the OD of the shroud was slipped over and glued in situ to the printed buffer. Note that this is not working as a tensioner, just a stiffener.

View attachment 436165

View attachment 436164

View attachment 436174

The whole arrangement is very rigid, consistent in POI and increased in accuracy.

8 shots at 80y:

View attachment 436175

The slugs extracted from the duct seal:

View attachment 436176

And 8 at 100y:

View attachment 436179

Pretty happy with this 21fpe performance and I don’t think I could do better with this trigger. Certainly minute of rat out to 100. Will be playing around with jets, speeds and trying out the 13g in the next week.
Your work never ceases to amaze me, keep up the great work!

We can trade places next Dec/Jan if you like, Jace. You can have my frozen swimming pool, skis, machine shop and 30 minutes to UA and I’ll keep up your good work on the iguanas.
I don't think I'd mind that lol, I was stationed in Alaska, Wisconsin, and Michigan so I'm familiar with the cold. And I would love a to have machine shop to make things.

Turned out that the L2 had a 1.2 and 1.1mm jet installed. Switching to 1.1 and 1.0 brought speed up to 980 with the 10grain but the accuracy didn’t change. I then switched to 0.9 and 1.0 and chronied the 13grain Zans at 925fps. Initial testing at 50y looks very good and I’ll take it out to 80 and 100y when the wind drops. The estimated stability with the 13grains out of this barrel is right on the money at my elevation (1.54) and the BC is 0.068 vs 0.048. Still very quiet, so I’ll take it if it works out. ~24fpe.

Turned out that the L2 had a 1.2 and 1.1mm jet installed. Switching to 1.1 and 1.0 brought speed up to 980 with the 10grain but the accuracy didn’t change. I then switched to 0.9 and 1.0 and chronied the 13grain Zans at 925fps. Initial testing at 50y looks very good and I’ll take it out to 80 and 100y when the wind drops. The estimated stability with the 13grains out of this barrel is right on the money at my elevation (1.54) and the BC is 0.068 vs 0.048. Still very quiet, so I’ll take it if it works out. ~24fpe.
Did it work out?