PROD vs Bullpup

I’ve been thinking about a pistol carbine for a while. Front runner would probably be a Prod but have been looking at others. Is my looking I came across a post where the poster said he thought a bullpup felt and handled like a pistol carbine. I had never really thought about a bull pup because most weigh 2-4 pounds more than the pistol carbine. I’ve done some research and people say they feel lighter than a comparable rifle because most of the weight is at your shoulder not hanging out front. Is that true? For example does a 6 lb Flashpup feel comparable to a 4 lb shoulder stocked Prod? I know there are a ton of other differences, advantages or disadvantages between the two but feel and handling are what I am interested if hearing about.

Don't have a Flashpup however aging with neck and shoulder issues we have switched to a rearward bias with Leshiy 2s and bullpups. Six pounds is sill six pounds, it's not the same as a four pound Prod. On a rough day when the Leshiys and the RM5 are painful to shoot the Prod is a joy. It's even more so converted to a bullpup.

Bullpups help keep me in the game by reducing the weight on my support hand. Less polar moment means less effort for general handling, limiting fatigue.

IMG_20220320_180105.1648963660.jpg

Sure...with the "majority" of the guns weight...behind...the trigger, it isn't felt so much in your hands. Unless you get a really...heavy gun like the BSA Defiant. THAT"S a heavy bullpup.

Beside, if you're worrying about a little weight maybe this isn't the hobby for you ? It's "really"...not...a big deal. Don't be so concerned about the "number".

Get an FX Wildcat III, or the new III BT version. They are a very nice, light gun, that are very easy to shoulder, and carry around the back 40. Even the Compact version as been proven to be accurate out to 200 yards (shooter 1720) !

Mike

My FX crown weighs in at 9.5 lbs as it sits, and it feels more like a 7 lb gun to me. Not a bullpup, just simply has an extremely light barrel, so more weight is rearward. Bullpups tend to be a bit snappier, and not as stable for offhand shooting. The same will be true of a lighter gun as well. Main thing bullpup has going for it is that you can squeeze a longer barrel into a shorter package. So, overall will be more manueverable or easier to store. Personally, I would use a heavier moderator to aid stability.

They are `different ,simple as that.A PROD Carbine is lighter,easier to shoot ,a lot less expensive and better for the money.

I love mine,fact its I have a couple of them;Prods can be very accurate and fun....To me that are better than Bullpups.

Out pass 35yds Bullpens have their advantages.

I can make a Prod carbine that shoots 1/2"groups at 25yds and spend less that $500..it.is easy enough to hand pump and parts are here is the USA.....

Plus did I say that a Prod has the ability to have the bolt on the right or left side.

Again they are different ,Get the Prod Carbine,see how you like,if not get a Bullpup.

Look at the Pistol forum here and see all the great Prod carbines guys have made,You see and learn what others have done.

How much is a Marauder pistol nowadays ?

If looking for a pistol carbine I would definitely have a look at this one :

AEAHPSS__09900.1632324602.jpg

more powerful then the Marauder, folding stock for easy backpack transport and semi-auto rather then the crunchy Marauder bolt action,

......disclaimer, I never had one, but I've heard of a lot of people that are extremely happy with it.

The HW is a sweet looking gun but unfortunately out of my price range. As far as getting out of the game if I can’t hold a 9 lb rifle I’ll take a pass on that. Most of the answers about bullpups were as I expected about being better but still not as light as the Prod. I have a Maximus with a Prod trigger group and the skeleton stock but it’s very barrel heavy. I tried it with a AR stock but wasn’t very impressed with the stock. That being said there are a ton of AR stocks to choose from so I may have just picked the wrong one. After market parts and info is almost unlimited for the Prod compared to other pistols available. I have to go past Kittery this week so I might stop at the Trading Post and see if the have a bullpup to shoulder just to put that thought to rest.

The 1358 is a prime example of what my question is about. The $250 price tag jumps out at a person but the 7 lb weight also jumps out. Is the 1358 as easy to shoulder and shoot as a Prod or does it feel like a 7 lb rifle? Albeit the wood stock of the 1358 or Flashpup looks way better than the Crosman skeleton stock or even a AR stock so there is something to be said for that. 

I got to KTP today to shoulder a bullpup. They had the wood Flashpup and another Hatsan bullpup that was real heavy but I don’t remember the name. The Flashpup felt very much like a pistol carbine to my surprise. A wood stock like the Flashpup has on a Prod would be awesome. It was apparent that the Flashpup is designed for a scope by the comb. The trigger was locked so I couldn’t get a feel for the trigger but the location was good. I liked the bullpup feel compared to a Flash QE. They had the Avenger but not a Avenger bullpup to compare the feel. Bullpups are a style I have never considered before thinking they are too action arms based to actually be an accurate shooter. After today I’m not sure that’s an accurate assumption. Obvious advantages are longer barrel and bigger air tube over a pistol. Possible negative is the trigger. I’m already shooting a gun with a Prod trigger group and before that a Challenger trigger group. Tough triggers to match in an inexpensive gun. So to me the question is how bad is bullpup trigger and can I deal with it? I’m ok with Turkish made in that I own CZ/Huglu SxS shotguns and they have been outstanding hunters. I could put a Challenger trigger and a Boyd’s stock on a Prod but that is a $700 gun which moves to another entirely different category of guns . As they say “The plot thickens “. 

I think weight is weight. BullPup will balance better but when your carrying a rifle all day 6lbs is still 6lbs. The issue I ran into was shot count, my PRod would only get about 3 mags(if I remember correctly), I had the PRod converted to .25 cal carbine. It’s an awesome gun in .25. But my Caiman X at 45fpe gets 40 shots & if I tune it down to 20fpe for close work(less than 50yrds) I can get around 200 shots out of it. If I’m going to run the back 40 I’ll grab my Mini-Rod now but if I’m going camping or so I’ll take my Caiman X due to the fact I want have to take an air source since it gets a ton of shots. 

I don’t plan on hunting with what ever I buy just plinking. Enough paper to determine accuracy at various distance or pellet selections. Airgun Depot threw another gun in the mix with a sale on the NP-03. Basically a Prod with a bigger air cylinder and a AR stock. So kind of in between a Prod and a bullpup. Do bullpups need high mounted scopes to get sight alignment? I felt with the Flashpup that the scope would need to be high even with the cheek riser all the way down. 

I don’t plan on hunting with what ever I buy just plinking. Enough paper to determine accuracy at various distance or pellet selections. Airgun Depot threw another gun in the mix with a sale on the NP-03. Basically a Prod with a bigger air cylinder and a AR stock. So kind of in between a Prod and a bullpup. Do bullpups need high mounted scopes to get sight alignment? I felt with the Flashpup that the scope would need to be high even with the cheek riser all the way down.

I have a Kral NP-03 they're ok guns but honestly I've spent more time inside that gun then any of my other guns.

I also have a AEA-HP-SS and it's a better carbine and hasn't required anything but air fills and pellets and I wouldn't hesitate buying another one.

Where I like Kral as a platform, I wouldn't buy another NP-03.

My Prod is the most accurate of my 3 PCPs right now but I like my P35 (Snow Peak) better. The P35 is 5.2 lbs unscoped and mine is 6 lbs 6 ounces with its Primary Arms 4-14 scope. My Prod is about 5 lbs scoped but that is not very fair because it wears a Hawke 2-7 scope - a much lighter scope. But if you eliminate the scope difference the P35 is still a pound heaver. You definitely feel it carrying it but not shooting it. If you want less weight but don't mind a rear location cocking lever the P15 is very similar to my P35 but most of a pound lighter (I think it's 4.4 lbs).

To me a Prod is a 25-35 yard gun due to the very small 66cc air tank. I shoot mine at a little over 700 fps on H&N copper FTTs, I can get to about 800 fps but only for a handfull of shots. I get 30 the way it's tuned now. I don't know how high I can tune my P35 but it's a lot higher and is easily a 50 yard gun. I turned it down recently (it's regulated) because it likes H&N 20 grain FTTs and was shooting them at 900 or a little better. So I turned it down to about 850 fps. It's also accurate with JSB King Heavies but would need the regulator turned up for that. The little FTTs should be fine for 50 yards. As it's tuned it gets over 50 shots on a fill. It might get 70, I haven't really checked it since retuning it. The guts of the P15 and P35 are the same. The P15 is rear cocking and the P35 is mid-cocking. The stock of the P15 is wood, the P35 is plastic - and heavy about 2 lbs.