Tuning Prod tune

Ken

Start with the MAX stroke (inner screw full counter clockwise). This is not the spring, it is the striking part of the hammer. Counter clockwise brings it in flush with the hammer giving you the longest striking distance. Preload is tightening the spring (clockwise) for more power. Fill pressure is what the gun guage is reading before the shot is taken. MAX fill pressure is what you pump the gun up to at the start. Minimum fill pressure is what the guage reads when you stop and refill the reservoir. 

As the "fill pressure" increases (on any gun) it takes a stronger "hit" from the hammer to open the valve. As the pressure decreases with each shot, the hammer will open the valve more and yield a bigger blast of air, because it is easier to open at a lower pressure. After you reach the "mid-point" of fill pressure the hammer is striking the valve open to the max with each shot, but the air pressure is decreasing from use. This will cause the blast (feet/sec) to start decreasing. This is known as the typical "bell curve" all UNREGULATED guns will have. With a good tune, your feet/sec will increase for the first "third" of your shots, then level out for the middle "third", and decrease for the last "third.

Most mods on unregulated guns are a trade off between speed and number of shots, but the" bell curve" is a little steeper with maxing out the mods. This means your first few shots and your last few shots will be slower than the middle (peak) shots. There are different ways to correct or help this delima.

1) fill to a slightly lower "max" pressure, maybe 2800psi

2) stop shooting and refill at a slightly higher "minimum" pressure, maybe 1700 psi

This lowers the shot count but keeps the speed more consistant. As you become more comfortable with working on your gun the Bstaley mod will help flatten the curve and keep the shot count higher. Getting 800fps with Crosman 14.3 gr pellets is quite doable with the mods I have already mentioned.

Look up more "posts" on P-ROD tuning. Many have pictures of all the different steps. Videos are ok, but sometimes the posts have more information and simpler explanations. Don't give up. It's really not that hard. If all else fails, PM me and I'll give you my cell number and we can talk. 

Awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to help me understand all this! I got my chrono yesterday so now I will be able see just what is going on and work from there. My first shot string: Shot count: 14 shots Low: 603 Hi: 640 Avg: 624 Spread: 37 STD Dev: 13.3
I should have continued shooting because the last 3 shots were 640. When I am shooting targets I usually get 32 shots before they start dropping. Might be able to do more testing today. Thanks again!

Mr. Ken

I can't believe this post has this many responses and nobody has told you about the "BSTALEY MOD" yet. Do yourself a favor and google bstaley mod. There are tons of info on it on the web and if you follow the instructions and do it properly you will be rewarded with a 24 shot 16 FT/LB airgun with an incredibly tight ES. I messed around with mine and have it shooting 16 grain Predator Polymags at 675 FPS for 24 shots.
Thanks

Ray

FPS isn't the end all be all. I've got rifles a lot more powerful. But my Woodswalker prod is what I grab. The carbine form factor is utilitarian. Polymags and Hades @ a pedestrian 613 with 3fps std dev are tree tiger kryptonite to 40. dime sized groups and 4 magazines. Squirrels are not wearing Kevlar last it checked.

Mine has huma, RAI, fold stock dump, etc. 

Crosman should make a regulated semi auto carbine version.... Capable of pedestrian sub 700fps Skip the pistol all together. Nobody uses the prod as a pistol. If the haven't figured that out they are idiots. just price below $800..

I spent a ton making my bolt action prod a super consistent carbine. Corpsman could get all that margin up front...

Love my PRod, got my Huma reg coming. Put an air stripper on, but have a TKO ldc too. Power valve machined and honed, transfer port at .110 and exhaust.
66604050-BAF9-4B52-8C9A-2802BCE1356E.1625786362.jpeg
DDC8CA68-6450-4FF9-AFE8-80F4D003536B.1625786362.jpeg

Does anyone know what the stock tune is supposed to be (hammer spring and hammer strick)? 

Also, can anyone help me or point me to a post with a tuning guides? Mine shoots great with h&n field targets at 30 yards, but I get mixed results with 14.3 crosman domes and hollowpoints. I'd love to shoot these pellets better without reinventing the wheel on tuning this gun.

Thanks gents!!!