• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Benjamin PROD Power Adjustment?

Yes. Turning the hammer spring adjustment clockwise will increase the velocity. It is on the end of the gun. There is also an adjustment for hammer throw at the same location - smaller head screw. I only saw a difference from hammer throw after I did a bstaley mod - put O-rings around the valve stem. The O-rings reduce hammer bounce against the valve to help flatten the velocity curve and give more shots. Other things you can do are to increase the transfer port size and put in a hammer spring wound with thicker wire (I use a .042 wire spring). You would only need to use a heavier spring with the O-rings around the valve stem. I drilled my transfer port out to .111 (stock is .080).

If you want to retune your Prod you should get a chronograph. I use inexpensive chinese made ones that are about $20 on aliexpress or about $30 on Amazon. Not a major expense. They will let you see where you are and the change you can make by just winding in the hammer spring. Stock is about 4-5 turns on the hammer spring, effective maximum is 7. If you only want a little more power you could just do that.

Mine was tuned to about 13 fpe as received and it is now about 17 fpe. I can get 20 fpe but the shot count is really low, less than a magazine. I have 20 good shots with relatively low velocity variation in the tune I use and 24 very usable shots.

Reactions: FF112173
A chronograph is indeed on the list of purchases. I did not try to shoot the entire match on a single fill, however, I did shoot 30 shots on a single fill. I know that was a mistake.
Cool. When you get one, be sure to establish a standard for distance from the muzzle to the first light strip so you get consistent data. About 2-3 feet back is a good range. If you have the muzzle too close when testing it can give you funky results. Mostly an issue with co2 guns but pcps will do it as well.

Yes youll need to chrono and see what you are running for the first 20 shots then decide where you want the low power cutoff to be.

Stick to external adjustments to start. No need to go into porting and all that as a beginner and especially for a target gun. You will only run the risk of causing leaks if you take it apart and thats no fun for an entry level experience. Hammer spring tension and a good idea of where the power drops off will likely get you where you want to be for match shooting.

chrono=good idea ..i got my prod up a good 100 fps by installing a larger transfer port and just cranking the hammer spring tighter .. the tp i got at hill airguns if i remember correctly, it just needs to be bigger, size isnt critcal, get the biggest one lol, the valve and other things limit it ultimately ... the spring will only tighten so far before it negatively affects the trigger pull, just back off a bit from there .. youll be in the spot heheh .. those simple mods wont affect shot count noticeably, but gives it a bit more punch ..

Contrary to most owners manuals, Crosman PCP manuals are some of the best. If you don't have one for your P Rod you can download it on Crosman's website. It shows multiple ways to adjust not only the power, but also the trigger.

If you don't understand the steps detailed in the manual, leave the adjustments to an experienced airgunner.

Last edited:
Hey bud I would ask what pellets you are shooting first. You can pick up decent energy just by shooting a heavy pellet. A gun making 13 ftlbs with a 14.3 grain pellet will make a good 3 ftlbs more energy with a 21.14 grain pellet with no modifications to the pistol. That’s what mine does anyway.
I will look that up when I get home. I’ve only tried one type of pellet thus far. I need to get more anyway.

If you only shoot one distance you can get dialed in regardless of velocity but I think the Prod is better suited to lighter pellets. You will run out of elevation adjustment pretty quickly trying to sight in with heavy pellets. Mine likes copper plated H&N Field Target Trophy (FTT) pellets best but shoots Crosmans pretty well.

I shot an entire 30 yard challenge target on one fill. 24 shots. I shot a 192. Not my best but not bad.

Mine shoots JSB 14.35 grain at 649 fps for 13.47 ft lb. It also shoots H&N 14.66 good. Last year I shot over 200 pigeons with my PROD.
These are the pellets I used. I was able to source them from my local Walmart. They shot really well and, for my skill level, pretty accurately.

IMG_4918.jpeg