Tuning Prod Hammer Throw/ Regulator Questions

What exactly will adjusting the length of the hammer do? Will a shorter hammer pick up more inertia hitting the valve harder or is it the other way around? From previous posts and shooting the gun I learned it has bell like power curve. At max pressure (3000) the FPS goes way down then at about 2100 it starts to wake up so to speak. I have yet to try the B staley o ring mod. I'm still new to pcp and enjoying the learning curve. I've read mention in other post about regulators, is there one available for the Prod? The goal is power consistency and air efficiency for the gun. I always appreciate the wisdom of those who know.

generally yes on the hammer adjuster, shorter gives a harder hit but i look at it as fine tune, last thing to mess with ... but alot is going to depend on your usage imo, on how you want the gun set up ... for pesting and hunting the reality is all you need is a couple of full power clips and the gun filled to optimum pressure, say 2500, and it shoots down to 2 pretty consistent on the crest of that bell curve .. the sweet spot .. youll likely want to start with a chrono and dial the hammer spring to get a good power level and speed, say 700, that will stay consistent 2 clips worth, and then of course, you want the gun sighted at the optimum zero to give the longest point blank hold kill zone ...

...now if your on a bench, on the other hand, you can endlessly play with fine tuning, hammer lengths, reduced power, and regs, maybe even tethered and externally regged, to get 6 clips say, of extremely consistent hits on that paper target at 25y .... so thats how i see things myself ..

Thank you for the insight dizzums that's exactly what I wanted to know. SqrlHntr, great articles, that's definitely something to wrap my head around! And thank you again biohazardman, a great help as always. I think before I attempt any mods I'm going to take the advice of the article and get a chronograph first. Any brands or models to look for? I just dropped 200 and change for a Hill Mk5 pump so I'll have to save up a little while. These gas prices and inflation is killing the discretionary funds unfortunately.

I’ve got a couple chronographs and picked this one up just for ease of use and not needing a good light source. It’s the only one I use now. I think I got mine for less than $30 on eBay. It reads right with my Caldwell, but not quite as consistent. You have to convert from MPS to FPS which is a little annoying. A lot of guys have recommended them on here.

Beau

https://www.amazon.com/VIKKA-Precision-Chronograph-Velocimetry-Chargeable/dp/B08DRJ3JW7/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?keywords=chronographs&qid=1648747645&sr=8-18