problems with Impacts!

From the get go, I never wanted the Impact, & still don't , too complicated for me. I have a Wildcat , two Streamlines & a Royale 400 pre-reg. Never more than a breech seal in anyone of them. Did put a huma reg in one of my Streamlines. I agree, as much at the impact cost, it should not have any problems for a few years of heavy use. They should pay any shipping fees for the first year or so. Don't come out with new models until you have the last model perfected. 

From the get go, I never wanted the Impact, & still don't , too complicated for me. I have a Wildcat , two Streamlines & a Royale 400 pre-reg. Never more than a breech seal in anyone of them. Did put a huma reg in one of my Streamlines. I agree, as much at the impact cost, it should not have any problems for a few years of heavy use. They should pay any shipping fees for the first year or so. Don't come out with new models until you have the last model perfected.

I wouldn't call an Impact complicated at all. I'd say the average 12 year old could take it apart and put it back together just watching the youtube videos. Some of the guns need attention now and then but it's usually no more than a 5 cent o-ring and 30 minutes of your time. I think the price of the gun should be $1400 with no warranty.

I like my Impact.

I was all set to buy an Impact MKII this month, but have decided to wait and see what improvements are going to be introduced when the new Impact MK3 version comes out next year. I don't have any insider info on the subject...I just know that if things go the way they normally do it is inevitable that FX will come out with a brand new Impact MK3...or maybe an MK3 High Power version? The IWA next March will tell us if my prediction is true or false.

I am personally hoping FX will come out with a version of the Impact that gives us the option of ordering it with the current carbon fiber bottle...or with a carbon fiber air tube that holds 480-500 cc like the FX Bobcat does now. And wouldn't it be nice if they came out with an air tube for the Impact MK3 that fills to 300 Bar like the Edgun to allow us to get more shots? 

Anyway I think, that because of the problems people are having with the current line up of Impacts, and the fact that we know every year they come out with new versions of their guns, and the fact that the new year is fast approaching, that a whole lot of people like me are taking a "wait and see" stance before shelling out $2,050.00 for a new pellet gun. I know a lot of guys were lucky enough to get a problem-free Impact, but I am just afraid of being one of the unlucky ones that gets an Impact that has problems. I am hoping the new MK3 solves all the petty little issues like what C3 bumper or delrin washer needs to be used...I feel like for $2,050.00 that should be an issue for the manufacturer to deal with, not me.

I guess I am mostly afraid of getting an Impact that has problems, and getting stuck with shipping it back and forth for repair, like the author of this topic. But I have high hopes that FX is going to reveal a new Impact MK3 that solves all the issues next March at the IWA in Nurnburg, Germany.

All the best, Chuck 

Reading posts like this have convinced me not by an FX product. I do like reading about all the repair procedures and watching the videos, just to have some (a little ) knowledge of how they work. And it truly blows my mind that guys have one with problems and buy a second and third and forth, and have issues with them all, but act like it’s no big deal. I can’t think of another “ hobby” “ sport” what ever you want call this that they shell out several grand and have “ repairs” from the moment or shortly after they receive it, and KEEP BUYING THEM, truly blows my mind. High powered rifles, pistols, bikes, golf clubs, climbing gear ( quality problems here, life threatening ) archery, motor cycles, cart racing etc etc. Companies in these and others, would not stay open long.

Reading posts like this have convinced me not by an FX product. I do like reading about all the repair procedures and watching the videos, just to have some (a little ) knowledge of how they work. And it truly blows my mind that guys have one with problems and buy a second and third and forth, and have issues with them all, but act like it’s no big deal. I can’t think of another “ hobby” “ sport” what ever you want call this that they shell out several grand and have “ repairs” from the moment or shortly after they receive it, and KEEP BUYING THEM, truly blows my mind. High powered rifles, pistols, bikes, golf clubs, climbing gear ( quality problems here, life threatening ) archery, motor cycles, cart racing etc etc. Companies in these and others, would not stay open long.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I have Taipan Veterans, AGT Vulcans, Daystate Regals, Daystate Wolverine -- sold one of them -- an Air Arms S510, FX Royale 500, FX Wildcat x2, and a couple other airguns.

Honestly, I own 3 FX Impacts, and I would not trade them for any other airgun. There is nothing like the FX Impact for versatility, modularity, accuracy and modification potential. These rifles are challenging and exciting for me. For me, FX Impact makes the airgunning hobby something to look forward to in my otherwise boring retirement.

The Impact is number one on my list.

One of the things that's causing me to "wait and see" if next years version of the FX Impact is problem free or not, is the Exchange/Refund policy being used by the dealers and retailers that sell the FX Impact. Here is an exact copy of the pertinent part of one company's policy...

"Exchange/refund policy

• You may return any item in new condition (unused) along with its original packaging and any accessories for a full product refund within 30 days of purchase
  • Please note that shipping charges are not refundable unless the item received was defective. Items which are not in the original packaging or otherwise not in new, salable condition are subject to a minimum 20 percent (20%) restocking fee.
  • Do not attempt to disassemble any items. Attempts to change the appearance or function of any item you purchased from us will void the warranty and your right to return the product for a full refund.
  • All returns must have an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number."

1) So, to return the item for a full refund it has to be in "new condition (unused)"...so that means if I even shoot a few pellets through it to see if it even works right or not, I lose the right to return it for a full refund of my $2,050.00 because it is no longer in new "unused" condition. Seems like a Catch-22 situation to me...

2) And, unless the item is defective the shipping charges are not refundable, and unless it is in new, unused, salable condition I am subject to a 20% restocking fee. That would amount to $410.00 + shipping charges I would lose on the deal. What is the seller's idea of "defective" differs from mine?

3) And, any attempt to disassemble the item to change its appearance or function, such as disassembling it to change the C3 bumper will void the warranty and I will lose my right to return the item for a full refund.

4) And, I am also required to get the seller's permission to even return the product, and if I return it without the seller's permission they may refuse to receive it and send it back to me.

I am just afraid of laying out $2050.00 on a new pellet gun that may have problems and then possibly being forced to take a $410.00 loss if I have to then return it. If I am going to lay out that much of my hard earned money on anything I want to know that I can return it for a full refund with no questions asked, and without having to pay a 20% restocking fee. I truly wish someplace like MidwayUSA or Bass Pro Shops were selling these FX Impacts, because they have a 100% Customer Satisfaction Guarantee. With this kind of return policy it would take all the worry out of getting my money back, or having to possibly sell it on the classifieds for hundreds less than I paid for it just to get rid of it.

All the best, Chuck

I was all set to buy an Impact MKII this month, but have decided to wait and see what improvements are going to be introduced when the new Impact MK3 version comes out next year. I don't have any insider info on the subject...I just know that if things go the way they normally do it is inevitable that FX will come out with a brand new Impact MK3...or maybe an MK3 High Power version? The IWA next March will tell us if my prediction is true or false.

I am personally hoping FX will come out with a version of the Impact that gives us the option of ordering it with the current carbon fiber bottle...or with a carbon fiber air tube that holds 480-500 cc like the FX Bobcat does now. And wouldn't it be nice if they came out with an air tube for the Impact MK3 that fills to 300 Bar like the Edgun to allow us to get more shots? 

Anyway I think, that because of the problems people are having with the current line up of Impacts, and the fact that we know every year they come out with new versions of their guns, and the fact that the new year is fast approaching, that a whole lot of people like me are taking a "wait and see" stance before shelling out $2,050.00 for a new pellet gun. I know a lot of guys were lucky enough to get a problem-free Impact, but I am just afraid of being one of the unlucky ones that gets an Impact that has problems. I am hoping the new MK3 solves all the petty little issues like what C3 bumper or delrin washer needs to be used...I feel like for $2,050.00 that should be an issue for the manufacturer to deal with, not me.

I guess I am mostly afraid of getting an Impact that has problems, and getting stuck with shipping it back and forth for repair, like the author of this topic. But I have high hopes that FX is going to reveal a new Impact MK3 that solves all the issues next March at the IWA in Nurnburg, Germany.

All the best, Chuck

Hey Chuck, what a great post, I admire your patience! there are people who ordered a MKII at the beginning of the year and still dont have one and you are hoping you will get a MKIII if it is ever released! expecting you will see all the faults solved with a new version is like hoping the Pope will convert!

Buy one and accept the pitfalls, or don't buy one! FX won't care they cant fill the orders they have!

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Mr chuck idk why you so paranoid about buying stuff from vendors. If you just buying a new gun, you cant just return it cause you dont like it..duh. it will be used of course. If your gun is broke. Call the seller and tell them your product is broken..they will send you a return number and address. You ship it back to the seller. Some seller will pay for shipping. Some sellers will ask you to pay to ship it to them. Airgun is like another other product. Its cover by 1 year warranty. Anything wrong. Send it back to the vender. They will repair it. If they cant, they will refund full price or exchange a new one..so idk why you acting like its end of the world. Beside, learn to fix these pcp guns..they are bound to leak and break. Not just the impact. Always learn to fix it and have parts available. It's not hard to fix these guns yourself. Watch YouTube, do your research. If you scared to fix your own gun and always ask to ship it back wherever there is a small leak or problem..maybe pcp ain't for you. Just my 2 cent.

From time to time this came up, every like 6 months, my 2 cents:

1- The impact been a 0.177 - 0.30 cal modular airgun is complex to be perfect in all those 4 calibers, and all shoot personalities, some want extreme long distance, others extreme short distance accuracy, other slugs (heavy), other hades (light) ... what I meant is been multi cal is hard to fit all shooting personalities.

2- 0.177 and 0.22 (up to 18gn pellet) are perfectly fine with the stock c3 bumper, and actually a delrin bumper is too much, IMO/E 0.25 and 0.30 NEEDS a c3 bumper. (and IMO FX should add extra C3 on new impacts...those are peanuts!)

3- The impact as today is like an F1 car, all F1 cars needs maintenance, and you have 2 choices, learn how to do it (and fix your problems fast) or send it to an airgunsmith or FX USA (Hate that, not me, no patience for waiting). DIY info is all there online for any of us. You can not expect to buy an F1 car and that car will perform 100% all the time without maintenance 

4- New impacts brings lots of improvements and bigger power, but also will bring new problems. The impact has more o.rings than any other PCP and that means more failure points.

5- I agree that some parts of the impact are not the best (old gauges), if helps IME if you tight the Gauge too much it will be off for sure (not saying that is the only problem)

6- All top airguns have at some point problems top 3: Fx Impact, Daystate RW, RAW have problems also.

On the good side

FX Impact is very modular and if you get into their guts, you can do almost ANYTHING having the right tools

FX Impact is VERY VERY accurate

FX USA always is there for you (IME) sometimes they take a while in getting back to you, but they always do get back! I Buy all in the States (I live mainly in Chile...so VERY FAR) and I have never had got a problem that FX USA had not fixed. [email protected]

LOTS AND LOTS Of info and videos on FX impact, is not a black box for the one who want to learn. And men, if you learn the impact, you are done! all the rest will be easy!

BTW and is important for me to clarify: I am not sponsored or paid by ANYWAY for any company. That is 100% my opinion and experience. I am just an common / regular user. And I have paid FULLY for all airguns I have. 

From time to time this came up, every like 6 months, my 2 cents:

1- The impact been a 0.177 - 0.30 cal modular airgun is complex to be perfect in all those 4 calibers, and all shoot personalities, some want extreme long distance, others extreme short distance accuracy, other slugs (heavy), other hades (light) ... what I meant is been multi cal is hard to fit all shooting personalities.

2- 0.177 and 0.22 (up to 18gn pellet) are perfectly fine with the stock c3 bumper, and actually a delrin bumper is too much, IMO/E 0.25 and 0.30 NEEDS a c3 bumper. (and IMO FX should add extra C3 on new impacts...those are peanuts!)

3- The impact as today is like an F1 car, all F1 cars needs maintenance, and you have 2 choices, learn how to do it (and fix your problems fast) or send it to an airgunsmith or FX USA (Hate that, not me, no patience for waiting). DIY info is all there online for any of us.

4- New impacts brings lots of improvements and bigger power, but also will bring new problems. The impact has more o.rings than any other PCP and that means more failure points.

5- I agree that some parts of the impact are not the best (old gauges), if helps IME if you tight the Gauge too much it will be off for sure (not saying that is the only problem)

6- All top airguns have at some point problems top 3: Fx Impact, Daystate RW, RAW have problems also.

On the good side

FX Impact is very modular and if you get into their guts, you can do almost ANYTHING having the right tools

FX Impact is VERY VERY accurate

FX USA always is there for you (IME) sometimes they take a while in getting back to you, but they always do get back! I Buy all in the States (I live mainly in Chile...so VERY FAR) and I have never had got a problem that FX USA had not fixed. [email protected]

BTW and is important for me to clarify: I am not sponsored or paid by ANYWAY for any company. That is 100% my opinion and experience. I am just an common user.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

What parts are contained in your power kit?

I recently purchased the kit on eBay.

There are a few reasons why the impact is prone to failure, the greater the number of o rings the greater chance of a leak. The greater the number of components the greater the the number of faults. The impact has both.

then there is the design, at first glance the ideas seem brilliant but from an engineering perspective it is not very well thought out.

then there is the end user, the impact seems to draw those who seek power like a moth to a candle, both get burned in the end. To get 100Fpe+ from an impact, look was has to be done, everything has to machined away for maximum air flow, components are stressed to breaking point. There are airguns off the shelf that easily out power the impact. Personally I don’t get the point but if I needed to shoot a 50grn slug at 1000fps, I would choose a RAW, with a few simple upgrades that is easily achieved without anything working particularly hard.

I has said many times mine has been on order for a very long time, if I can’t get the gun, what are my chances of getting spares or repairs if and when it fails.

Bb

There are a few reasons why the impact is prone to failure, the greater the number of o rings the greater chance of a leak. The greater the number of components the greater the the number of faults. The impact has both.

then there is the design, at first glance the ideas seem brilliant but from an engineering perspective it is not very well thought out.

then there is the end user, the impact seems to draw those who seek power like a moth to a candle, both get burned in the end. To get 100Fpe+ from an impact, look was has to be done, everything has to machined away for maximum air flow, components are stressed to breaking point. There are airguns off the shelf that easily out power the impact. Personally I don’t get the point but if I needed to shoot a 50grn slug at 1000fpe, I would choose a RAW, with a few simple upgrades that is easily achieved without anything working particularly hard.

I has said many times mine has been on order for a very long time, if I can’t get the gun, what are my chances of getting spares or repairs if and when it fails.

Bb

What upgrades to the RAW?

The impact is a great gun if the end user knows how to fix the issues that will arise. For someone who wants off the shelf ready without issues, I don’t recommend it. It can be frustrating and shipping and waiting for the gun isn’t fun. I shipped my impact twice to FX USA (all covered by warranty) until I decided to work on it myself. While it has many parts, it’s not hard to fix/replace. Anyone can do it. One thing I will note is you need certain tools. Some tools you will have to customize in order to get the job done and make it easier on yourself. Besides that I’d say it’s a great platform due to its adjustability and size/weight. 

Mr chuck idk why you so paranoid about buying stuff from vendors. If you just buying a new gun, you cant just return it cause you dont like it..duh. it will be used of course. If your gun is broke. Call the seller and tell them your product is broken..they will send you a return number and address. You ship it back to the seller. Some seller will pay for shipping. Some sellers will ask you to pay to ship it to them. Airgun is like another other product. Its cover by 1 year warranty. Anything wrong. Send it back to the vender. They will repair it. If they cant, they will refund full price or exchange a new one..so idk why you acting like its end of the world. Beside, learn to fix these pcp guns..they are bound to leak and break. Not just the impact. Always learn to fix it and have parts available. It's not hard to fix these guns yourself. Watch YouTube, do your research. If you scared to fix your own gun and always ask to ship it back wherever there is a small leak or problem..maybe pcp ain't for you. Just my 2 cent.

2 Fast- take a look at the very recent post on the Impact MK2 with the pellet probe problem, and then re read what you wrote. 

If you spend $$ on a brand new pickup and when it gets to your house you find out the radio doesn’t work, or it didn’t come with fog lights like you ordered, are you gonna bust out your wrenches and fix all that? Is it a good thing for you to take a day off of work to take your car back to the dealer to get it fixed? Are you going to sit in front of YouTube and try to learn how to wire in fog lights? 

When you unbox a high $$ flat flat screen TV that is the latest and the greatest and mount it on the wall, do not you expect it to work? Or are you gonna YouTube that repair also? 

Remember, once you e unboxed the gun, fired pellets thru it, it’s not returnable. Repairable, yes, but your $$ are in someone else’s pocket. 

You need to soak in everything I just spelled out, and ask yourself honestly, what you would do with my given scenarios

then there is the end user, the impact seems to draw those who seek power like a moth to a candle, both get burned in the end. To get 100Fpe+ from an impact, look was has to be done, everything has to machined away for maximum air flow, components are stressed to breaking point. There are airguns off the shelf that easily out power the impact. Personally I don’t get the point but if I needed to shoot a 50grn slug at 1000fpe, I would choose a RAW, with a few simple upgrades that is easily achieved without anything working particularly hard.

Bb

What upgrades to the RAW?

Off topic but, plenum into the bottom blanking plug, short core reg, valve cap extension all for increased air storage, more efficient firing valve, shorter hammer pip, heavier spring guide heavier hammer spring.

even without the increase volume I manage to stress test a .30cal RAW to 135fpe. I also set a .357 RAW to shoot a 165fpe

Your lucky, I ordered my impact mk2 in March, still no sign
1f44e.svg

Bb

Where do you live? There are dealers that have them in stock. trenieroutdoors.com or spaw.com

Uk but the same story in any country in Europe!