Tuning Problems with Airforce Edge

My son bought an Airforce Edge used to use in sporter rifle events. The original tank was leaking so we got all new o-rings and a new top hat. It still leaked. So, I found a new tank and we started setting it up. It thought we had it tuned correctly, but shots can be very inconsistent.

After the initial fill (2k psi), the first 10-15 shots will have 4-6 misfires where the pellets just tumble out. Then it's accurate for 60-70 shots and it has to be filled. The problem is that at a match, there isn't enough time to blow through 15 sighters and hope there won't be a misfire.

I've tried contacting Airforce, but I think they're tired of me. I can't get a call or email back.

Almost sounds like some valve lock happening and once pressure gets down just a bit it's ok I'd try 1900 psi and 1800 psi to me it sounds like hammer is a touch light and not opening the valve enough first few shots try a lower fill pressure I'd try 1900 1800 1700 and so on till you get to correct fill pressure where the shots come out accurate it could be a tad different valve and opening a little harder give lower pressures a try 

Should be simple to fix with an AF gun and i agree with the person who said it sounds like your fill pressure is too high for your hammer and spring. Did these guns have an adjustable power wheel? If so, you may be able to solve the problem by increasing the power level a bit as we

Below is email address of a person who has been very helpful to me, try her out. 

[email protected]

Should be simple to fix with an AF gun and i agree with the person who said it sounds like your fill pressure is too high for your hammer and spring. Did these guns have an adjustable power wheel? If so, you may be able to solve the problem by increasing the power level a bit as we

Below is email address of a person who has been very helpful to me, try her out. 

[email protected]

There's no power wheel on the edge. and the tank is rated to 3000psi. So, I shouldn't have too much pressure. Especially, since it does it at various pressures. The only way to adjust the pressure is to turn the top hat. 

I've kind of given up trying to deal with Airforce. They haven't returned multiple calls, and never replied to an email.

Do you fill with a scuba tank did you try lower pressures while filling you shut off the scuba tank and leave it hook it up to the foster fitting don't bleed the hose and the gauge will read bottle pressure if you bleed the hose then the check valve closed and it won't read just shut off the tank leave pressure in the hose hooked to the foster fitting and it will read bottle pressure unless this gun isn't filled using a foster fitting you said you filled to 2000 psi and first shots just barely come out the barrel and after that you get 60 good shots only thing that makes sense is valve lock or to much pressure on the valve to open it with your hammer setting in the gun so filling to 3000 psi isn't going to help take a picture of the gun and bottle and what you fill with and post it we can try to help you from there so we know what your working with I'm familiar with air force condor and talon but not the edge your hammer spring sounds like it is to weak to open the valve at 2000 psi or more condor and talon tanks can be interchanged so the valve in the tank you got may be different than the other one you had 

Potentially a similar issue here - recent experience at 4H shoot. Rifle was filled to approx. 2800psi prior to match. Wasted a couple shots to settle pressure, then sighters. Got through prone and standing (ten record shots, plus maybe eight sighters, each position). So call it 35 shots, tops Move into kneeling, get through six sighters and six shots, then one just inexplicably drops - and I mean 2" drops. Next four shots are back on the money.

New fill cap (replaced the old one under warranty, which was leaking). Soapy water leak test shows no leaks.

Sorry you are having your issues! AF customer service is some of the best in the industry, and I would recommend that you call during normal working hours if you can't fix with all the usual tricks. It sounds like valve lock to me/incorrect fill to power wheel level (I don't know if the power wheel is on the Edge but I am assuming so). Sadly, the Edge model is one of the least sold models out there (estimating here), so your operating pressure may be lower per the instruction manual than the other hunting models like the Talon/Escape. Does it say fill to 2k?

Best of luck to you,
-Atlas

Air Force sent me a third fill cap, which looks slightly different (material and color). Installed that, leak tested, essentially the same behavior. After talking to several other Edge owners (including a tech at a major airgun distributor), I've given up and bought the new Crosman Challenger. That is a fine piece of equipment.

I'm disappointed that the Edge didn't work out - good reputation, made in USA, looks great, and I like the design. But it just won't shoot. Perhaps someone with more time and expertise can tune this thing up and get it to perform.

I bought a used Edge and fill it to 3000 psi for 10 meter competition and it is very consistent. I have an issue with it shooting low though, I have to max my scope ( scopes are allowed in my club 10 meter shoots ) in the up position, otherwise it shoots really low. Tried all sort of different rings and scopes, same for all of them. I want to check barrel alignment but cant find disassembly instructions anywhere - Airforce site, Youtube etc. Any ideas?