• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Problem with Hw98

Got a HW98 .22 off a member here at a good deal. Shot it and discovered it was shooting at 12FPE. I also noticed it was shooting between 520-648 fps at extremes but mostly around 595-630 with Crosman 14.3 grain HPs.So I thought it had a bad seal and 12 fpe spring?
I just installed a Vortek PG4 in a .20 cal HW95 so I took the factory seal and spring from it and dropped it in the 98.
Well same old problem I’m still at 12-13 FPE? I kinda don’t understand where to look now. The tube looks good the piston good, seal in good shape and the spring was doing 16fpe in the HW95 .20 cal? Any ideas how to up the FPE?
And the gun is and has been really accurate at 25 and 35 yards the entire time.

Got a HW98 .22 off a member here at a good deal. Shot it and discovered it was shooting at 12FPE. I also noticed it was shooting between 520-648 fps at extremes but mostly around 595-630 with Crosman 14.3 grain HPs.So I thought it had a bad seal and 12 fpe spring?
I just installed a Vortek PG4 in a .20 cal HW95 so I took the factory seal and spring from it and dropped it in the 98.
Well same old problem I’m still at 12-13 FPE? I kinda don’t understand where to look now. The tube looks good the piston good, seal in good shape and the spring was doing 16fpe in the HW95 .20 cal? Any ideas how to up the FPE?
And the gun is and has been really accurate at 25 and 35 yards the entire time.
It could be the breach seal. I would try testing it by laying tissue paper over it to see if there's any air escaping when shot.

I got to figure like in the uk they must have a way in the receiver to help prevent someone making a non fac gun in to full power fac. If it was as simple as a spring they have a lot of illegal guns to contend with. Could be like daid above short stroke the piston or some other means.

Now i himg is if you did have a uk low power gun that should be stamped on the receiver designating that as a non fac gun.

Now being you had it apart for tuning you thoughly cleaned out the old lube and degreased the tube and wisk like a pipe cleaned in the transfer port incase somthing maybe causing some blockage and choking it ? Then when you fit the seal of fiyted too tight will bog one down to lower fps

I got to figure like in the uk they must have a way in the receiver to help prevent someone making a non fac gun in to full power fac. If it was as simple as a spring they have a lot of illegal guns to contend with. Could be like daid above short stroke the piston or some other means.

Now i himg is if you did have a uk low power gun that should be stamped on the receiver designating that as a non fac gun.

Now being you had it apart for tuning you thoughly cleaned out the old lube and degreased the tube and wisk like a pipe cleaned in the transfer port incase somthing maybe causing some blockage and choking it ? Then when you fit the seal of fiyted too tight will bog one down to lower fps
There is nothing sophisticated about the compression tube to make a 12fpe gun. It's the spring and that's it (in most especially HW's), in fact to keep things under 12fpe it is even cautioned to be sure to use a caliber specific spring in a .22 vs a .177 because even that can push a gun to be 12fpe+.

Yea I cleaned the compression tube, and piston. Relubed and put back together. I’m unsure about the tightness of the piston I don’t remember, unlike my 77 and 97 this one you can’t push in with your hand and thinking back I pushed it with a wooden dowel and it may have been tighter? Great point!
Guess I’ll take it back down .
There's your trouble. That sounds way too tight

I havnt had a chance to work on the 98 yet but…… last night I thought of this;
My TalonSS the only way to increase velocity after the power wheel is maxed is to install a longer barrel.
So the 98 has about a 3 inch shorter Barrel than the 95 and same power plant, is this part or all of the reason for the lower velocity?
Springers are completely different animal from a PCP! After about 18 inches of barrel you start to see the speeds slow down from drag in the barrel. And everything bellow that length will stay about the same! Everything I've read here so far tells me your piston seal is way to tight!
I suggest you order a 26mm seal from vortek and your problems will most likely be solved.

Last edited:
If his seal is too tight why not refit the seal he already has if it aint chewd up ? The new seal maybe as tight anyway...so? Plenty of how tos around or guys here to help.
No fitting required with the vortek seal.
Put it in and shoot it! And if it's a newer HW factory seal there pretty poor quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pea-shooter O.G.