• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

problem with break bbl rifle

Hey y'all. This is my first and primary reason for joining post.

My son's air rifle, a Ruger model*, was having some of the screws work loose. So I took it out of the stock, something I have done a number of times with my air rifles before, with no problems resulting.
But, there's a problem THIS time!
When you break open the barrel, it makes a horrendus noise like the spring is being drug around a corner of something. Now I have not previously taken apart or have any technical knowledge of the innards of an air rifle before and not knowing anything about them figured it was time to call on some folks that did know about them to see if I could get some help. Hopefully, this is the place. Hopefully too, I have picked the correct forum.
* Manufactured by UMAREX under license from Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. 

So, is this a do it yourself fix (I hope)?

Thanks all in advance.

Just for the record, the rifle is out of warranty, of course.

I don't know why you would have this problem just from taking off the stock? But make sure the linkage that cocks the gun is in alignment and connected correctly. Did you dry fire the gun at all. If all that is good then maybe you have a broken spring. I would look on you tube at how to disassemble a break barrel rifle. Fairly simple but you must be careful because even though it is not cocked the spring is under pressure and can hurt you if your not careful. You can definitely do it but do some research first. Also I don't know how much the gun is worth and how old it is. So after pricing out the parts needed, i would consider a new gun if if close in price. What gun model is it exactly??

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I thought about checking out You-tube but figured I'd best sound wiser heads first. I have fouled up other things ere this because I didn't and that even recently for all I know better. There's the safety on that 9mm... But, wrong site for THAT problem.

Anyway- the rifle in question is only a few years old but out of warranty. It's a Ruger Airhawk manufactured by UMAREX under license from Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. It was my son's birthday gift. I nice looking and shooting rifle so we want to repair and keep it as long as it doesn't cost more than new to fix it..

I can't imagine any connection between removing it from the stock and this problem either but, it never malfunctioned before that and started immediately I put it back. I also double checked and tried diferent tensions on screws in case there actually was some connection. Nothing fixed it so, here I am.

We are careful not to dry fire these air rifles. (I have more sons and we all have air rifles and some pistols) and neither do we leave them cocked.

I hope this sheds some lighton the situation.

If you tried to break it open without the stock to guide the cocking linkage you bound where the linkage hook into the piston. This dented the guide between the piston and spring. I did the same thing with mine. I opened mine without a spring compressor just leaning on it on a workbench while removing the trigger pins. Use an apropriate sized socket and a hammer to smooth out the dent. You may as well order a new piston seal and some Krytox before you start and go ahead and tune it.