• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Problem with aea xp max .45

Hi folks.
Got my hp max a couple of months ago, maybe less, shot around 20 slugs, filled the rifle a few times with manual pump and all was ok. Took the rifle this evening that i left fully in pessure and found that the air tank was completelly empty. I tried to fill it but noticed that there is a leak from the filling port: after pumping a bit, when i remove the probe, i hear the air leaking just from where i insert the probe. Ideas before shipping the rifle back to Spain (yep, eu model with 2 gauges)?
Cheers.

Reactions: mil
I’ve had that problem with my HP Max guns as well. There is a small screw inside the tank that can be tightened to fix this. Didn’t work for me but some users have been able to fix the probe area leak. There is a video by bin Tac on YouTube showing how to do this. Good luck…. My 357’s both had leaks multiple times in different areas and I had to send them back.

I’ve had that problem with my HP Max guns as well. There is a small screw inside the tank that can be tightened to fix this. Didn’t work for me but some users have been able to fix the probe area leak. There is a video by bin Tac on YouTube showing how to do this. Good luck…. My 357’s both had leaks multiple times in different areas and I had to send them back.
thanx mate will have a closer look to this screw and probably will try with a few drops of oil hoping it's a matter of "dirt" even if the rifle is brand new. But i'm afraid it will have to go because i prefer not to mess with it and risk to lose the warranty.

Those guns were among the sketchiest products I have ever purchased. I know many people have had better luck with them, but for me it was three in a row. Here is my sad story: First .357 max leaked after a few weeks of shooting. I was walked through various repairs that did not work. I sent the gun back for service, and when it returned, it was still leaking. Sent that gun back, was sent a new replacement gun. It was leaking when it arrived, and after that leak was stopped (at the full probe), the sealing ring for the poppet failed. Replaced that but it didn’t last long maybe 100-150 shots before breaking again. So I decided to try a lower power model of the .25 Hp carbine. I figured maybe AEA just didn’t have a valve design that could handle 100 FPE and maybe a 50 fpe gun would have fewer problems. This one kept jamming pellets from the magazine, and after maybe firing only a half a dozen or so magazines through it the poppet failed, and now it’s sitting on my shelf. Because of a family crisis and moving cross country the gun sat unused so long that I can’t return it at this point, so I guess I’m stuck with a project gun. I know I can get it working and that they work pretty sweetly when they are set up right but it would’ve been nicer just to get a gun that did what it was supposed to.

wow, 3 in a row it's not bad luck, it's the worse quality control/ project mistakes i have ever heard.
I have only another pcp, a cheaper one, a hatsan, that sits in full pressure for months without losing nothing.
Anyway, didn't get an answer from AEA Spain today, hopefully they'll show up tomorrow, but it's already getting annoying because i was hoping for a much faster support, instead had to text them first via whatsapp, then they told me to send them an email......and then nothing. Can't even drop them a call because no number for phonecalls :rolleyes:
I wonder if i can return the rifle and get a full refund: nice rifle but i'm afraid that quality and support are very poor.

I would ask for a refund. If I ever get an airgun that's jenky right out of the box it's going back point blank. Specially at those prices.
at this point i would return the gun without thinking twice, but despite using it very little i already got it a couple of months ago, i think it's quite unrealistic to see my money back, but i'll try to ask

That’s the situation I was in my first one worked at first and then sat for long enough that it was no longer an option to get a refund when it started failing so I took offers for replacements. The whole thing was a huge waste of time and energy. I’m hoping I can get the .25 to function so it would be a complete waste of money as well. feel pretty foolish because I thought these guns were amazing at first.

Ok folks, just an update after waiting so long.
I have been contacted by aea and after explaining the situation they asked me if i could disassemble the tank and have a look at the seals. I didn't like the idea to mess up with a new purchase but the idea of shipping/waiting wasn't very tempting so i had a look into it.
The problem was quite easy to spot: at least one of the seals of the bottle, was damaged. At the beginning they wanted to ship me the whole final part of the bottle, but then they discovered that no stock available so we finally decided that they send me a kit of seals and i would perform the repair. I received a full set of seals, i mean ALL the rubbers that are in the rifle i have a spare now. And a t-shirt.
Swapped parts, got myself an electric pump (my manual broke mean time and the guy from aea even said that using a manual pump can damage the rifle....ok, didn't want to argue but i don't see any reason) and finally today i pumped the rifle and......yes, till now no leaks. I would wait till tomorrow, or even better a copuple of days, to see if there are really no leaks but.....fingers crossed.

Side note: the guys from aea seemed very nice and helpful people that indeed try their best to support, but my only fear is that they are still at the very beginning and if you have a major problem with a rifle, it's very difficult to get parts or assistance. I am pretty sure that things will evolve to better because they are selling a lot, but for someone that is not handy with tools or just don't feel comfortable to perform it's own reapairs, it's something to keep into consideration.

cheers :)

That’s the situation I was in my first one worked at first and then sat for long enough that it was no longer an option to get a refund when it started failing so I took offers for replacements. The whole thing was a huge waste of time and energy. I’m hoping I can get the .25 to function so it would be a complete waste of money as well. feel pretty foolish because I thought these guns were amazing at first.
mate are you in EU? you have 2 years warranty, too late to get a refund but till the end of the second year they are obliged to fix your rifles under warranty.

MrP, these airguns are super basic so you should have no problem fixing it quick. the one downside to the hp carbine is they have to be tuned. they put too much air into the piston that cycles the action which causes jamming and cycling issues. also, some come with washers at the hammer spring and in my exp. they're not needed, I don't think hitting the valve harder is a good idea in these as the poppets are not strong. once you get it squared away you be happy.

Guys, is there a way to discharge the gun without shooting?

Not sure what you mean by "discharge".

Do you mean emptying the air aka "degassing"? If so, slowly loosen the pressure gauge until air starts hissing out. And when you are ready to fill it up again make sure to screw the pressure gauge back in roughly as tight as it was. Not overly tight, just nice and snug, and then another quarter twist.

Not sure what you mean by "discharge".

Do you mean emptying the air aka "degassing"? If so, slowly loosen the pressure gauge until air starts hissing out. And when you are ready to fill it up again make sure to screw the pressure gauge back in roughly as tight as it was. Not overly tight, just nice and snug, and then another quarter twist.
sorry for my bad explanation. I am not referring to the tank but just the hammer spring in case you are ready to shoot but then you change idea.

sorry for my bad explanation. I am not referring to the tank but just the hammer spring in case you are ready to shoot but then you change idea.

Pull the bolt all the way back, and while it's all the way back, pull the trigger and release the bolt forward. That's how you decock most airguns.

Practice this a few times with no ammo in the gun in case you accidentally fire. Make sure the bolt is 100% back before pulling the trigger.

Reactions: santana