Problem with a loose reticle in a "SPRINGER RATED" scope: UTG/Leapers SCP-4x32 AO Mil-Dot

Hello everyone,
A friend of mine's got a problem with a brand new, older generation (at least I assume it's an older generation, maybe gen. I or II), UTG/Leapers 4x32 Scope with a Mil-Dot reticle. As I've just stated, it's probably an older generation 4x32 UTG, with the "Leapers" branding on the side of the tube's core, where the turret dials are, instead of the "UTG" branding, like my 3-9x40 True Hunter has. This particular scope is built on the UTG's proprietary "True Strength" platform and has the "Smart Spherical Structure" feature built into it as well. The scope's full designation is as follows: Leapers 4x32 SCP-432AOMDTS

Here's the link to an identical scope, so that you'll be able to see precisely which model/generation it is:

Now let's delve into the problem... The issue with the potentially loose reticle, and I'm using that term quite loosely, because I don't really know a whole lot on how these springer rated scopes are built like (All I know is, that they can withstand the two-way recoil of the springer, without the erector tube loosening up and thus losing zero), occurred to my friend who mounted this UTG 4x32 on his new springer. As he was shooting his new springer, the upper side of the reticle sort of dislodged from the ring, and as he subsequently took another shot, the top of the reticle jumped back into place. It is, as if only the top of the reticle is dancing around. He later on explained to me, that he also shook and tapped on the stock of the rifle a little, to see whether the reticle would in some form or way move again, but he didn't notice it moving anymore, which means that the reticle in the scope only moves, if a swift and sudden impulse affects the scope - i.e. the two-way recoil of a springer, as is the case with shooting break barrel airguns. So, with the explanation of the issue out of the way, I now need some information on how to fix this problem...

As far as I know, scopes can be disassembled by removing the occular/eyepiece or, as is the case with some scopes by unthreading and moving the parallax ring out of the way, to get to the tube, in which the crosshair/reticle lies, in within the brass frame of some kind, with notches that enable you to align the reticle (the video down bellow shows how someone fixed the reticle in this exact way):

This problem in a friends' scope came to me as a surprise, because I've never heard of any such issues from UTG's scopes that are built on their TS platform, and I've also always regarded these scopes to be the undisputed winners in relation to holding their zero to the maximum.

With all of this in mind, is there a possibility to fix such a defect in my friends' scope? The scope was never used before, that's for certain, but it was bought from second hand and it's way out of the warranty period. So what's there to do ?!

I'll appreciate just about any comment on this issue that you folks might give, but I'd really like to know whether it is possible to fix this issue without any specialized tooling. There also aren't a whole lot of gunsmiths who could fix optics in my country, if any at all. Another friend of mine, who is a hunter and a gunsmith himself, doesn't know any such people to start with, let alone would he be willing to go out and search for such people.

I'd like to thank you all in advance, for any info on this matter that you may or can give me.

- Triglav

I’ve never heard of someone repairing their own scope. Since it’s a new purchase maybe the retailer will replace the scope or give him a refund or credit towards a different scope. Leaders/UTG might also have a warranty. Good luck.
Here's the thing, friend bought the scope from some hunter, who got it in a combo with some firearm, in Austria. The guy (the hunter that is), was pretty old he said and is probably going to die sometime soon, and therefore just wanted to get rid of some thing, including the UTG scope. He didn't receive the receipt when he bought the scope, because the guy didn't even have it. My friend simply assumed (and I'd do the same), that just because it is an UTG, it shouldn't have any issues with holding zero, let alone with the reticle lens falling off.

Me and him still don't know what to do at this point... Should we tear the scope down and fix the issue ourselves?!

Doing so will expedite the warranty process and confirm product authenticity, in addition to, confirming the place of purchase is an authorized Leapers dealer.

Could just claim its a china onockoff?

Then
NOTES:
Our warranty does not extend to accidental damages, loss, negligence, misuse, disassembly beyond normal maintenance, or any unauthorized repair or alteration. ..

With that its just get the rma# send it in and hope for the best..

Thing is its broken anyway so even if they say no or ask to charge you for repairs ... You agree to pay or still broken when you get it back ..

So send it in ..why not?

Last edited:
I’ve never heard of someone repairing their own scope. Since it’s a new purchase maybe the retailer will replace the scope or give him a refund or credit towards a different scope. Leaders/UTG might also have a warranty. Good luck.
Well, the thing is, that this friend of mine had already repaired a scope once, it was a cheap 4x20 Umarex. He even installed a more powerful lens in it, so that the scope then had more of an 8x power level, not just 4x. When we spoke again yesterday, he declared that he won't be shipping the scope back, and that he will keep going to see what happens. Later on he even said something about giving the scope to me, should he not be able to fix it, which implies to me that he is planning to fix it himself. I don't really know what he's up to, at this point. However, as others have suggested, I also told him to send it back to UTG.

I had a similar problem with a 4x Leapers brand scope-one crosshair in the wire reticle cracked all the way through in the center of the reticle. The reticle in the replacement scope broke shortly after I got it. I trashed the scope and moved on.
Wow!
So does that mean, that the scope has interlaced wires that make up the reticle, inside the tube then?

I didn't take mine apart. I believe the reticle is stamped from a single piece of thin metal as opposed to the etched glass reticles used on some scopes. I seem to recall reading how someone repaired their broken reticle using actual hair-but then I didn't see it done or pictures, so who knows? I'd advise sending it in to Leapers/UTG and see what happens. Use Pirateship.com to buy your mailing label and save a few bucks on shipping.

As to your buddy fixing it himself-what have you got to lose? It sold for like $40 new anyway. See if you can find some tutorials and enter into the repair knowing the scope could end up as a paperweight.

Reactions: Triglav
Doing so will expedite the warranty process and confirm product authenticity, in addition to, confirming the place of purchase is an authorized Leapers dealer.

Could just claim its a china onockoff?

Then
NOTES:
Our warranty does not extend to accidental damages, loss, negligence, misuse, disassembly beyond normal maintenance, or any unauthorized repair or alteration. ..

With that its just get the rma# send it in and hope for the best..

Thing is its broken anyway so even if they say no or ask to charge you for repairs ... You agree to pay or still broken when you get it back ..

So send it in ..why not?
At this point I don't really know what my friend is going to do, I've suggested to him to send the scope back to UTG, but he says that he's going to keep on going, to see what happens to it... He is stubborn, you can't really change that :(

Thanks for the advice though.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
At this point I don't really know what my friend is going to do, I've suggested to him to send the scope back to UTG, but he says that he's going to keep on going, to see what happens to it... He is stubborn, you can't really change that :(

Thanks for the advice though.
Going where? Beyond repairville ?

Broke is broke may as well send it in and fingers crossed. Or just buy another scope i guess..

Oh well , he knows whats best for him ..

Good luck

Reactions: Triglav
I didn't take mine apart. I believe the reticle is stamped from a single piece of thin metal as opposed to the etched glass reticles used on some scopes. I seem to recall reading how someone repaired their broken reticle using actual hair-but then I didn't see it done or pictures, so who knows? I'd advise sending it in to Leapers/UTG and see what happens. Use Pirateship.com to buy your mailing label and save a few bucks on shipping.

As to your buddy fixing it himself-what have you got to lose? It sold for like $40 new anyway. See if you can find some tutorials and enter into the repair knowing the scope could end up as a paperweight.
I thought so; That, this is the case with the reticles in these more budget kinds of scopes. I think that the story about a gunsmith, who made a reticle for a scope, that's been then mounted on someone's Sharps 1874 rifle, using two black string from a black tornado horse's mane dates back to the mid 1880s'. I heard this story years ago on some firearms website, I think it was from the AmericanRifleman - "I have this old gun" series. Now, as far as my friend's 4x Leapers goes, I don't know yet what he is going to do, but I'm pretty sure he's going to tear it down and try to fix the problem himself... Who knows, maybe he already fixed it, the night is young here in Slovenia. But I got to say, I was certain he pulled a joke on me, as that reticle went exactly on April 1st. However, he still talked about the issue the next day, and that's when I knew he was serious.