• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Problem unscrewing Ares ETR illumination cap

Copy. There are a few ways to skin this cat (cap). I just said to another member I realize I will need two sets of wrenches/pliers. Thanks. S7

Steve,
Would Crosman silicon chamber oil be a proper lube? Probably not, I am figuring. As I said in another thread, I am neither skilled nor handy, nor do I know products well enough to be confident in application. Also, could I damage the scope?
Thanks. S7

That should work ok and just a tiny amount. Then sit the scope so that the lube will seep into the threads using gravity.

Patrick, I am holding off until my plastic-jawed pliers come in. Some good advice, I am sure, has been given about using temperature, but I am a tad reluctant to do so. (But I may do so.)
If the plastic-jawed pliers do not work, which are slated to arrive tomorrow, I think, and neither zip-tie (Steve123) nor something like Naugahyde (jps; first time I heard that one) nor leather wrap work, it could come to that. I want to give those pliers a try, especially since Steve mentioned stopping the travel of the parallax knob. Thank you. David

I have a set of the "plastic pliers" and they are awesome! (forgot to mention that option...)

1673584978672.png

Patrick

I forgot about that.
Steve, Are you saying that because there is an o-ring to not use lube?
Also, even if the travel of the parallax stops the know from turning, that will not avail. It is the illumination knob that turns with the battery housing cap that needs to be stopped. That, and I bought the wrong pliers. I just ordered another pair. Sigh. Thanks. S7

Steve, Are you saying that because there is an o-ring to not use lube?
Also, even if the travel of the parallax stops the know from turning, that will not avail. It is the illumination knob that turns with the battery housing cap that needs to be stopped. That, and I bought the wrong pliers. I just ordered another pair. Sigh. Thanks. S7

The lube might not get to the threads because of the oring so my idea probably won't work??

I see what you mean on the cap. I can't remember which scope had a hard to get off illume cap but going to the end of the travel of the papllax knob worked with it. I suppose the scope just needs to be sent back because this is just a big hassle.

The lube might not get to the threads because of the oring so my idea probably won't work??

I see what you mean on the cap. I can't remember which scope had a hard to get off illume cap but going to the end of the travel of the papllax knob worked with it. I suppose the scope just needs to be sent back because this is just a big hassle.
Well, Steve, that’s why I emailed Athlon. If they don’t offer a guaranteed solution, it is going to them. Thanks. S7

I have a set of the "plastic pliers" and they are awesome! (forgot to mention that option...)

View attachment 322727

Patrick
By the way, Patrick, what is the name of those particular pliers? Can you drop a link if you have one? The jaw configuration looks like it may be a good one for a couple of applications. I did see some pliers on Amazon that could do the job, I think, but they either were too expensive (as in $70.00, more or less) or would not come in for weeks. Thanks. S7

A while back Patrick advised to send this to Athlon. Well, I tried to use the pliers but they slipped and scored the tube in two places. You can imagine how happy I was. As a Christian, I won’t start flat-out swearing. But bombs were going off inside of me.
Back to Athlon it is going. We’ll see how they handle the marked tube.

Signed, I tried. Thanks for everything, guys. S7

Reactions: Ranchibi
A while back Patrick advised to send this to Athlon. Well, I tried to use the pliers but they slipped and scored the tube in two places. You can imagine how happy I was. As a Christian, I won’t start flat-out swearing. But bombs were going off inside of me.
Back to Athlon it is going. We’ll see how they handle the marked tube.

Signed, I tried. Thanks for everything, guys. S7
Did you fill out the form? https://www.athlonoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Warranty-Repair-Service-Form-1.pdf

The Athlon rep I spoke with indicated they did have a problem with older models and the battery cap.
My ETR was sent to Athlon and returned to me in 10 days total. As others have already said "Very good customer service".

Reactions: Ranchibi
Did you fill out the form? https://www.athlonoptics.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Warranty-Repair-Service-Form-1.pdf

The Athlon rep I spoke with indicated they did have a problem with older models and the battery cap.
My ETR was sent to Athlon and returned to me in 10 days total. As others have already said "Very good customer service".
Yes, I filled out the form and sent it to Athlon today. I will let folks know what Athlon does.
I did not know that about the caps. This is helpful information. The rep I am communicating with said nothing about this problem. Thanks for this post. S7

Greetings, Guys.
Well, I sent my Ares ETR 3-18x50 to Athlon, as I said previously, and Athlon sent me back a brand new scope a couple of days ago, with a new box and the standard accessories and all. This cap came off like a breeze, they made sure of that. The service experience was great from start to finish and took about two weeks and a bit from when I shipped it out.
Thanks again for all the good advice.
S7