• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Problem filling my Avenger

My Avenger won't fill past 1000 psi after degassing to turn the regulator down. I am using the Air Venturi nomad 2 compressor. I've had this Avenger for 2 years and adjusted it plenty of times without problems. Its been sitting for 24hrs and is still holding 1000 psi so Its not leaking. I dry fired it multiple times and it still wont fill. Its not the compressor. I pulled out my Marauder and it filled properly. Any one ever experienced this with an Avenger? (By the way I did cock the lever)

Based on your description, it sounds like a stuck check valve in the Foster fitting. Over the years I've seen plenty of check valves that developed a leak but never one that would fail to open. So some questions...

Do both gauges on the gun read 1000psi?

The compressor...how high did its pressure build when you attempted to fill the gun?

Very unusual combination of factors. Like heavy-impact said, the compressor's gauge would have quickly climbed if the gun's check valve were stuck closed.

That suggests there was a leak while filling. For example if there were a poor fit between the Foster coupler and fill nipple, the O-ring may have extruded into the gap at 1000psi and from that point forward, the compressor would have just been working in vain. And because a compressor is noisy, there would have been no way for you to recognize it had sprung a leak.

My advice is to remove and inspect (or replace) the O-ring in the coupler. And check the end of the fill nipple on the Avenger with the aid of magnification and make sure it isn't damaged.

If you have calipers, measure the diameter of the tip of the fill nipple on both your Avenger and Maruader. There is a surprising degree of variability among different brands. If the Avenger is a few thousandths smaller, that's a red flag to the scenario I described above.

I'm assuming you don't have another fill source like a hand pump or a tank, otherwise I would start by attempting to fill the gun from something else to isolate the issue as being either the gun or the compressor.

Ok guys Todays report. I was prepared to take everyones advise and start diving in but thought I would degass and test one more time. I took a soft handled screwdriver and rapped all around on the fill tube then hooked up the nomad 2 .... and was pleasantly surprised when it filled past 1000psi. Took it up to 3600psi, shut it off and waited. Tested with soapy water ... no leaks. Shot a few mags and all looked good. Decided to press my luck and degassed again. This time I filled to 4000psi and let it sit. Still holding after several hours. I will update as this progresses.

Reactions: jmohme
My Avenger won't fill past 1000 psi after degassing to turn the regulator down. I am using the Air Venturi nomad 2 compressor. I've had this Avenger for 2 years and adjusted it plenty of times without problems. Its been sitting for 24hrs and is still holding 1000 psi so Its not leaking. I dry fired it multiple times and it still wont fill. Its not the compressor. I pulled out my Marauder and it filled properly. Any one ever experienced this with an Avenger? (By the way I did cock the lever)
I just had the same problem I was stuck at 2000 I had to turn the Regulatoe screw to a Higher Setting The least I could get the Reg to set was 1900 then the gun would Fill