Problem filling Brocock Bantam Sniper

Awesome! Keep me updated, it's quite unnerving when it happens. My daughters shot the Concept Lite down to 120 bar and the first time it happened I was like... o_O uh...?

If you do need to get the valve out the part you're looking for is known as a "pin wrench/spanner".

No idea if it's 4mm, 3mm, 5mm, etc. I've never measured the ID of it.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6613-Variable-Spanner-Wrench/dp/B000F5JMEA/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=pin+wrench&qid=1598642133&sr=8-1

Dunno if that helps and good luck!

Apparently this happens enough that Brocock now supplies a dedicated tool to remove the fill valve (see pic below). I can get the fill valve itself out using this tool very easily...the problem is, unlike on your Commander the other end of the fill valve is very firmly attached to a round extension piece that prevents you from accessing the other end of the fill valve to get to the o-ring. Since this extension piece is round, its nearly impossible to get a grip on it to secure it enough so that I can unscrew the fill valve to expose the other end it of. Thats why others have said they have to make contraptions out of wood, leather and other things just to get a grip on it.

You can see from the light scrape marks on the dark extension piece below the fill valve that it had been worked on before (it came to me like this, I did not mark those marks today). Really frustrating design.

1598643464_17432847065f495d088c34b4.12502680.jpg

@yenniedn, two pieces of wood as a vise would help. If you have any paddle bits for your drill, drill a hole the diameter of the smooth part you can’t grip into a piece of wood. Cut block of wood in half and use as a block clamp. This is what I use on both my Compatto and Bantam. AOA provides the tool because they should’ve right off the bat... otherwise you needed snap ring pliers? When I had the “issue” your bent on pushing. I was more pissed off at not having the tool for the easy fix. Then the dislodged Oring. It really is an easy fix after watching the video.

1598643905_4223806215f495ec1081d95.12823449.jpeg

Crap, I kind of feel like I took the bait for some Friday fun-trolling now, lol, especially for a marred part that isn't visibile unless there is a problem and is easily removed? I mean, you got a special tool now? Maybe the prior owner was just a ham-fisted dumb dumb, lol.

I think there's a myriad of ways to solve removing the extension without marring it.

Strap wrench.

Electrical tape over pliar teeth.

Leather.

Etc etc.

Legit was trying to help earlier, don't think it's a bad design at all. :)

Crap, I kind of feel like I took the bait for some Friday fun-trolling now, lol, especially for a marred part that isn't visibile unless there is a problem and is easily removed? I mean, you got a special tool now? Maybe the prior owner was just a ham-fisted dumb dumb, lol.

I think there's a myriad of ways to solve removing the extension without marring it.

Strap wrench.

Electrical tape over pliar teeth.

Leather.

Etc etc.

Legit was trying to help earlier, don't think it's a bad design at all. :)

I know you were trying to help earlier . . . not entirely sure what you mean here by taking any trolling bait.

My point is, if you have an o-ring inside the fill valve that is prone to get displaced, why attach it to another smooth, round piece that's damn near impossible to remove? In the video link provided by Airgun Advisor in the second post above, it shows that when you unscrew the fill valve from the COMMANDER, it just comes right out since it doesn't have this round extension piece connected to it. From there, you just unscrew the other end of the valve assembly, take the parts out and re-seat/replace the o-ring. However, on the SNIPER, you have to contend with this round extension piece - and if you're going to have it there at all, why not make it notched so that any dumb-dumb can get a good grip on it with an adjustable wrench? That would make too much sense, right?

I've tried leather around it with pliers and electrical tape using a Bionic Wrench which would otherwise fit it great - but neither is strong enough to hold it without the round part twisting under pressure. L.Leon showed a wooden block clamp he had to make to get his off - which is ingenious . . . but should it really have to come to this if this piece was better thought out in the first place?

Anyhow, I've already wasted about half a tank of air messing around with this stupid issue. I'll try your fill & cocking method later today to see if that will fix it. For now, I'm going to compound my frustration with this rifle by partaking in the purest form of self-inflicted frustration: a round of golf. I'll report back much later tonight on whether the fill/cock method works or not.

Thx again...

Reactions: Ezana4CE
This filling problem just happened to me on a brand new Brocock Sniper Xr .25.Literally,the second fill and then this bullpoop.Now,I also have a bolt action .22 Magnum Bantam from 2019 that has nevr encountered this.So,after contacting AOA,and going through a big ole hassle with the mail and UPS losing half the parts,I finally received the right materials from USPS.(i know,I'm amazed,too.lol) So,last Friday night I took out the fill valve and replaced the oring.And yes,that is a ridiculously stupid design.I hope I don't have to do that again. I have been in contact with Best Fittings in the u.k. about a couple replacement 1/8bsp valves altogether.But Best Fittings,unfortunately,seems to be just another business that doesn't answer phone calls.So,yes this is a known problem with a ridiculous design.But the rifles are excellent other than that.

Thanks for this thread. I’d heard of a leak issue when I bought mine before it arrived. My first impression was that the design is definitely different and doesn’t seem like it was built for the average PCP owner to dissemble to work on. The literature that comes with the rifle encourages users to send the rifle into authorized technicians for maintenance and warranty work. The distributor told me of a leak that had been an issue and even sent me extra o-rings and the removal tool. 

So,after replacing the oring on the piston of my sniper xr,I got about 10 fills before the problem reoccured.So,rather than dick around with that piss poor design yet again,I just replaced the entire valve with one from best fittings.Problem Solved once and for all.Super easy to do,too.Just threaded a new 1/8 bsp Best Fittings fill valve in the hole.Now,I can no longer utilize the magnetic fill port cover,but who cares? I would rather have a rifle that doesnt leak with no fill port cover,than to tinker with that ridiculous design again.I have talked to others that have done this ,and once you use a Best Fittings valve,that is the end of the non sense.Gun is absolute flawless other than that.And for those of you who somehow want to think its your own fault that this happens because you fill to fast,go ahead and believe that if you choose to.I know better.I’m using a TJ 3 sloflo valve from Brancato so I know I wasnt filling too fast,and I refuse to ever believe its somehow my fault that this is a piss poor design that was rushed to market.Anyhow,like I said these guns are good enough that I can easily overlook this nonsense.Best wishes to all!

Piss poor, ridiculous design? Wow! Mine failed once, self induced. Yes, of course using a slow fill would "guarantee you never would induced such a problem... "🙄 This non issue has affect a minuscule amount of Bantam HR, XR Bantam users. Zero problems with the original and why go with a setup where the fill port is exposed to the elements. Why the rant?

Last edited:
Well said!!! Can I ask a favor, could you send me the specific link for the fitting?
https://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shop...ngs-stainless-steel-high-pressure-fill-valve/. Make sure your Brocock has the 1/8 bsp threads atbyour fill valve threads.They tell me a handful of these guns had M3 metric threads,but mine have been 1/8 bsp.You can verify this by removing the fill valve from your rifle.Then,insert the male threads of your foster quick connect extension that came with gun into the hole.That fitting is 1/8bsp.If those threads seem to match,then your gun is 1/8 bsp.I have ordered several of these valves from Best fittings in the U..k (as I own a total of 3 Bantams/Xr’s) From the time I ordered til the fittings arrived in Ohio is about 10 days at most.The reason I dont opt to keep replacing the original oem fill valve orings (and be able to retain magnetic fill cover) is simply because I would rather spend my time shooting than repairing a ridiculous design,because like I said,this had happened twice already and I aint gonna waste my time here anymore.These rifles are amazing everywhere else.Good luck

Reactions: olekz
https://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shop...ngs-stainless-steel-high-pressure-fill-valve/. Make sure your Brocock has the 1/8 bsp threads atbyour fill valve threads.They tell me a handful of these guns had M3 metric threads,but mine have been 1/8 bsp.You can verify this by removing the fill valve from your rifle.Then,insert the male threads of your foster quick connect extension that came with gun into the hole.That fitting is 1/8bsp.If those threads seem to match,then your gun is 1/8 bsp.I have ordered several of these valves from Best fittings in the U..k (as I own a total of 3 Bantams/Xr’s) From the time I ordered til the fittings arrived in Ohio is about 10 days at most.The reason I dont opt to keep replacing the original oem fill valve orings (and be able to retain magnetic fill cover) is simply because I would rather spend my time shooting than repairing a ridiculous design,because like I said,this had happened twice already and I aint gonna waste my time here anymore.These rifles are amazing everywhere else.Good luck
Its not like its a piece of cake to continuosly re-oring these valves and put back in gun.My gun has the ridiculous round housing on it ,too that must begrabbed and marred up with whatever you can make work.If you cant u derstand why I would opt not to **** with this anymore,than you’re not too bright.

Wow - it appears this is a common issue with this rifle! While I was initially impressed with the build quality and fit and finish of this rifle, this faulty design of the fill valve really detracts from that first impression. I would hate to deal with this on a recurring basis!
Which is exactly why I installed a Best Fittings replacement valve on ,y Xr. 25. After I replaced the oring once,and went through that whole shenanigan,I thought the exact same thing as you just mentioned here; “if this happens once more,I’m done”. Well,it happened once more! And so,I installed a Best Fittings replacement valve.Just threaded it right in,and boom! Issue resolved ! Others I spoke to,said once the Best Fittings valve is i stalled ,you can say goodbye to future problems.Now,I did lose the ability to use the magnetic fill port cover,but, thats ok with me.Small trade off that I will gladly accept to not have to dick around with anymore wasted time re-oring the OEM valve.It was not a piece of cake to do that,either!Empty all air from gun,use a spanner wrenchand remove the valve and 2 different dowty seals.Only,then to be facing a round housing that cant be easily accessed.And once accessed,the oring is not easy to get seated.The new Best Fittings valve only has one dowty seal,also.

@Steveguy, between the OP on 8/27/2020 and your post on 8/7/2022. I can see that it's affected less than four people here in two years time, an epidemic for sure... So again, why the rant against a solidly designed gun?
Didnt mean to come off as a rant.And as I have stated,I own 3 of these guns total.The oldest Bantam from 2019 has never had this issue.The other two have and one of those has had the issue multiple times.And I’m just sharing my experience and what I did to best remedy my situation.And I said bfore and will continue to say,these guns are flawless otherwise.If you would have told me this was gonna be the case before I everpurchased guns,I probably would not have changed a thing.(except maybe an oring or two. Lol)

Reactions: L.Leon
You can have the following tool from AOA by simply asking... They also have a revamped foster fill that will solve your particular problems and allow you to use the magnetic cover.... Again why the ranting... ? Brococks are super solid PCPs. Non issue being blown way out of proportion...

View attachment 281723

View attachment 281724
I’ve got the spanner wrench,my friend.Would never have even attempted a fix without that.

Reactions: L.Leon