Pro Sport- It’s beauty is more than skin deep.

crowski

Dec 14, 2020
On, Canada
In the last week + I’ve put Vortek kits in a HW80, HW30 and a TX200. Today I’m diving into a Pro Sport. Pretty well every one knows the Pro Sport is the crème de la crème as far as looks go. After taking it apart I feel the same as it’s internals. This is why it’s so expensive. The beautiful work on the exterior of this gun continues on the internals.
B17C38CF-880E-42EC-88A7-033092D4E6A1.jpeg

‘The Piston and housing are second to none. No wonder this baby was so smooth.
7A762467-62EB-47CF-B068-7B6D506D1934.jpeg

The piston has a synthetic bushing to eliminate friction.
422A108A-58FF-41FB-BB0E-00BEAF583359.jpeg

What a gorgeous set up.
I‘m not an expert of any sort. But I can tell you the quality on this gun doesn’t stop.
45E35174-70A8-4B8D-A118-E0B89C0830BB.jpeg

Totally enjoying this part of the phase.
When ever I shot this gun it always brought a smile to my face, I now know why. Crow

Crow was the 30 your 22 cal and if so did the shot cycle and mechanical sound change.
Gary
Unfortunately it was a .177. When I get another kit I’ll do the .22. Crow
It's been a very long time since I've seen a rawhide mallet.
Mine‘s old but you can still buy them. Easy on the steel. Crow

Reactions: TXRMike
Agree 100% on the beauty--inside and out--of the Pro Sport. It was 95% of where it needed to be right out of the box, and I enjoyed getting it to 100% (with the help of fellow enthusiasts on GTA and here) myself. I had to buy a new compression tube to get every bit of the play out of the cocking movement since the buttons on the tube it came with weren't fitted properly, and I also polished up the trigger mechanism and changed out the spring and top hat. But honestly, working on a gun which, by and large, is very well made has been a pleasure.

Reactions: crowski
Can’t wait to see how your ps turns out. I must agree with you that air arms are of high quality.

I also ordered a vortek kit to try out on my .22 ps. Right now, it’s shooting at 12 ftlbs. I want to get it up to full power so I ordered the high output kit along with the vac seal. My gun loves 18 gr jsbs which is one of the reasons I wanted a higher velocity to minimize the loopy trajectory.

Thanks for sharing

Gabe

I found that my delrin buttons were also loose on pro sport, what I did was drilled a small hole in them and put a screw in there and pulled them out. You could put a small washer in there and put them back upside down Or what I did was made some new ones on my lathe and re-fitted them to a tight fit and all is good got around 7000 pellets through it so far and shoots well. I have now just bought a tx200 177 had to have one. Steve!

Reactions: maxtrouble
I tried out several springs, guides and hats--Vortek included. What finally worked best for me was a ARH QX 4600 spring (.120 wire, 30 turns) and a guide and top hat custom fitted by Motorhead. I also had him make up some delrin spacers so I could adjust to taste. Love that spring, and if Maccari ever gets them back in stock, I'll buy a couple more as backup. Also had Neil Clague make a slip-on suppressor for it--quiet as a mouse and a smooth shooting .22. Only thing unexciting about the gun is the humdrum beech stock, which was all I could afford at the time.

I do like my ProSport. I am on my second as the first had to go back to Pyramid because the barrel shroud started moving. The first was awesome out of the box. The replacement was dry an had a lot of buzz. Within a week of getting it, I ordered a Vortek kit and installed it. The engineering is excellent, but compared to my many Beemans, the parts feel a little dainty. I have not had any problems with it, and it must be four or five years old now. I would also argue that it has the best trigger I own. I just don’t have the same confidence in it that I have in an R1.

Finally had time to finish the Pro Sport. I did cut one coil off. Made a difference jacking it. My first shot I thought I had ear muffs on. No different than a SBD. Once zeroed wow. Unfortunately the weather (wind) was nasty so not enough time spent. So pleased with the Pro Sport
1CD16960-6082-4423-9F1C-8B586AE88C66.jpeg

Such an awesome rifle. Too bad Air Arms doesn’t make a few break barrels. Crow

Reactions: Broozer and cjtamu
I installed my kit and I gained about 3 ftlbs over 12 ftlbs with the macarri spring. Shot cycle is smooth and twang free. I also popped on a vortek seal. Cocking is not to bad. I was expecting it to significantly increase but no. In my experience, I expect velocity to increase once the seal and spring break in. I’m very satisfied with the vortek kit being my first one.

One observation I found interesting was that the tighter fitting 16 grain jsbs shot almost a ftlbs harder than the looser fitting 18 gr jsbs. That extra may be needed to achieve max efficiency I think. When I get time I’m going to try the 16s out and see if they are just as accurate as the 18s. If they are, they’ll be my go to pellets for my ps.
Gabe