• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Private Clubs vs. Public Ranges - What's your choice?

Wondering if I could have you folks share experiences you've had with me while you were first looking to punch some paper. In particular the search for a range to call home.

You see I face a paradox of either going to a public range that is run by the next county over, or the oldest gun club in the state which happens to be part of my city.

Last time I was into shooting rifles (22 & 30-30 black powder) we could still fire them in our own yards so long as any projectiles didn't leave said yard. Funny how laws change over the course of a decade and a half. Now that I've become the caretaker of a .25 maurauder (despite reading and catching up on the laws here) I don't know which place I should go to.

On one hand the public range is only $3 a day from dawn to dusk or $15 for a year sticker for unlimited access whereas the private club is $25/calendar year flat. On the other hand the public range can be shoddy about access (unless you want to become a certified instructor/RSO and "volunteer" your time during workweek days). The private club has restricted member only gates, but so long as it isn't sundown (or Sundays between May and October) as defined by the department of natural resources you can go in as you see fit.

Other considerations I have are distance - private club is down the road about 10 minutes and public range is about 40 minutes away. As luck has it in on the opposite side of my county from that county's line which in turn the public range is on the far side of the neighboring county.

So you might be thinking the private club is sounding like the cats ass, but here's the dumbest part. I have a severe inferiority complex offline. The private club has some of the best marksmen in this area and some I'd be willing to say are the best in the world. I'm talking real Robin Hoods of the rifle world that are able to hit a sewing needle with surgical precision from 500 yards with a musket...OK maybe not THAT good, but better than someone who hasn't fired rounds in 14 years.

I'm thinking if I go with the public range I'll at least be with the other knob-heads and maybe work up some confidence, but I'm also thinking by joining the club I'll be starting off with the right "tools" to truly hone my skills again.

Problem is not all people are as friendly, fun, and knowledgeable as you folks on AGN and I don't want to sign up for a club just to find out I hate it because of someone that believes they are above everyone else. Online we can logout and get on with our lives. Offline is a different matter. It's raw, real time, and you can't just get frustrated and hit shutdown.

So for those of you that can't shoot on your own property do you go to public ranges, or join private clubs? What other considerations should I take into account?

At $15 for the year it should be a no brainer for that. If you can shoot during the week you may have it to yourself. I am also considering a private range as I hate wearing ear protection and having a limited number of shooters you should be able to space out a bit. You still may consider both ranges and go where there is the least amount of activity so you don't have to be self conscious. I think if you can get past your anxiety you might find you will be the talk of the range with your PCP. The last time I went to a range I had about 15 people come up to me and wanted to know what I was shooting. You may even be able to get all kinds of pointers from thoughs sharp-shooters. 

I have a private club, I've been a member since I started hunting. it's 45 minutes away, and I don't get to go there as much as I would like because of that. if it were 10-15 minutes away I could easily shoot more often, but going to my club typically requires a half days commitment. I've got a private club that's 10 minutes away but it's a "trap" club. even tho there's a rifle and pistol range, it's a very snobby club. I still plan to visit on their public nights and try to feel them out, there's a long waiting list and it's $100/year. atleast get my name on the list I suppose.

I get your drift... tough call

I live about 45 minutes from the private club that hosted Extreme Benchrest 2014. It's a great place because their ranges are airgun only. But all their events are at stupid o'clock, and I'm not a morning person. I wish for something like that closer to home. The ranges run by the county have nice facilities, but it's always more pleasant not to be around powder burners.

Private or public? I used to shoot on the army range but lost that privilege, I know not why. So I was forced to join one of two available here, deerstalkers or hand-loaders. I chose the latter. It's well run by knowledgeable people who have advanced the conditions and amenities nicely. I pay $180 per year. Very costly when you're working and unable to get out there very often, but come retirement it's a different situation. The range is opened to the public Tuesday nights and is the only such shooting venue available to non members. Members are able to shoot 24/7 unless on some set days when the black powder boys have their once a month shoot, or such, maybe a working bee. 
The police like that because shooters aren't all down at the river bed setting up targets.
Yes we have shooters there who are less than careful and we see a hole in the roof or on the bench rest. They set up targets that aren't sanctioned but all in all it's a safe place to be.
Benefits:
Keyless entry, kitchens, all the necessary bench rest gear, excellent spotting scopes, [I leave mine at home now] reloading room with 30 + die sets, under cover shooting area, targets provided, library, clay bird shooting where club shotguns are available, Christmas shoots, plenty of free advice. It's all good for there is much to be said for a well run club and privileges that go with it.
So see what is available for the cost, the benefits etc and make an informed decision .
Brian

I have been a member of a private club for 10 years and would never go back to public ranges. My club has really grown over the years and they are constantly upgraging all the ranges. This is an outdoor club in Friendswood Tx. I don't remember the cost per year, but it is well worth the fee. I know it is not overly expensive. They keep monthly calenders of the different events going on and some are very good.