Primos Trigger Stick Tripod is a must have IMO

I had a person PM and asked about the Primos Trigger Stick Tripods we are using while we hunt so I thought I’d post my reply here so it may be helpful to others.

Primos Trigger Stick Tripods are AWESOME! They are about $100 and the best $100 I’ve spent for hunting. I couldn’t imagine hunting without it. My hunting buddy and I have both used them for about the last 5 years. Mine fell over last week and the top yoke broke off which is the first problem either of us have had with them. I ordered a new yoke for $15 and should be here tomorrow.

I started with a mono stick then went two legs and both are a joke. Very unstable. The tri-pod is the way to go. It adjusts to about any useable height and uneven terrain by squeezing the trigger until it’s where you want it then release the trigger and it locks the legs. I’m 5-10 and shoot off the standard yoke included with the stick. My buddy is well over 6’ so I made him a 6” extension to put on top of his. We shoot mostly high elevated shots at birds and he was constantly stooping and has bad knees so the extension was helpful for him.

While walking, we carry our sticks in our left hands like a walking stick and our rifles hang from our right side on a single point harness. It’s very easy and quick to deploy the trigger stick with our left hand and grab our rifles with our right hand.

Theres no comparison to the stability advantage of three legs on a tripod compared to a bipod or monopod. It’s as easy as shooting off a solid post, fence, bench or large tree rest. I would encourage anyone to give one a try if you are into hunting and stalking in the field. Here’s a picture of my hunting buddy shooting off his. Notice two legs are positioned off of the higher and uneven cattle feed and the third leg is on concrete, yet it’s still a stable platform to shoot off of.

1815626E-373A-4749-8C9F-4A14A3C64BF0.jpeg

@igolfat8

I have the Primos bipod and tripod and prefer carry the bipod in the field. I have communicated with several members who prefer the tripods, but the Primos bipod is what I prefer. I only use the tripod to hold a spotting scope. It feels awkward to carry through thickets and vines. It’s enough work to keep two legs free of scraping against and being snagged by vines, let alone three. This is not to detract from your post. Just me saying that their bipods aren’t bad either. From what I gather on the forums it seems that the Primos tripod is suited better for pesting. For hunting I prefer a heavier tripod with a saddle. In my experience metalic pic rails on the underside of the forestock of a rifle can tear up the rubber on the Primos “V” yokes.

@igolfat8

I have the Primos bipod and tripod and prefer carry the bipod in the field. I have communicated with several members who prefer the tripods, but the Primos bipod is what I prefer. I only use the tripod to hold a spotting scope. It feels awkward to carry through thickets and vines. It’s enough work to keep two legs free of scraping against and being snagged by vines, let alone three. This is not to detract from your post. Just me saying that their bipods aren’t bad either. From what I gather on the forums it seems that the Primos tripod is suited better for pesting. For hunting I prefer a heavier tripod with a saddle. In my experience metalic pic rails on the underside of the forestock of a rifle can tear up the rubber on the Primos “V” yokes.
Now I want both to compare🥴😵‍💫....what's it get caught on? Im.wondering if one could make it "unsnaggable" like those fishing hooks that push weeds out of the way

Now I want both to compare🥴😵‍💫....what's it get caught on? Im.wondering if one could make it "unsnaggable" like those fishing hooks that push weeds out of the way
@iAMzehTOASTY1 There is a rubber strap that secures the legs for storage or carrying. It can be removed, but then you have to worry about holding the loose legs securely so that they don’t “clang” together while attempting to stalk animals.

The rubber feet often get snagged by green briars which grow all over the place in my region. Sometimes this will cause one of the telescopic legs to become extended inadvertently as you walk through the undergrowth and a vine’s thorn(s) dig into and grab the rubber foot. Think about walking with bipod tucked beneath your armpit and maneuvering through brush only to have a vine that you’ve gotten your body past, dig into or wrap around your bipod/tripod legs.

If carried the other way (feet close to armpit) the vines can hang up on the trigger. Additionally it will take longer to flip the shooting rest around in order to deploy for a shot.

To get a better idea take a look at the photo in my profile banner. That’s taken in a relatively open area beneath the a canopy of hardwoods and conifers around a creek.

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I had a person PM and asked about the Primos Trigger Stick Tripods we are using while we hunt so I thought I’d post my reply here so it may be helpful to others.

Primos Trigger Stick Tripods are AWESOME! They are about $100 and the best $100 I’ve spent for hunting. I couldn’t imagine hunting without it. My hunting buddy and I have both used them for about the last 5 years. Mine fell over last week and the top yoke broke off which is the first problem either of us have had with them. I ordered a new yoke for $15 and should be here tomorrow.

I started with a mono stick then went two legs and both are a joke. Very unstable. The tri-pod is the way to go. It adjusts to about any useable height and uneven terrain by squeezing the trigger until it’s where you want it then release the trigger and it locks the legs. I’m 5-10 and shoot off the standard yoke included with the stick. My buddy is well over 6’ so I made him a 6” extension to put on top of his. We shoot mostly high elevated shots at birds and he was constantly stooping and has bad knees so the extension was helpful for him.

While walking, we carry our sticks in our left hands like a walking stick and our rifles hang from our right side on a single point harness. It’s very easy and quick to deploy the trigger stick with our left hand and grab our rifles with our right hand.

Theres no comparison to the stability advantage of three legs on a tripod compared to a bipod or monopod. It’s as easy as shooting off a solid post, fence, bench or large tree rest. I would encourage anyone to give one a try if you are into hunting and stalking in the field. Here’s a picture of my hunting buddy shooting off his. Notice two legs are positioned off of the higher and uneven cattle feed and the third leg is on concrete, yet it’s still a stable platform to shoot off of.

View attachment 338566
Great info, thank you

I have the gen2 tripod, and absolutely LOVE it. I woods walk and stalk almost exclusively, and having a sturdy shooting platform that is both light, and easy to deploy is a must. I do the same as the OP, and use it as a walking stick till I find what I’m shooting at, and quickly deploy it. I’ve owned more expensive and sturdy tripods with ball mounts and clamps, but carrying them around with you is almost impossible.
Mine stays tucked under the rear seat in my truck in its scabbard, and is ready to go whenever I need it.

Did I mention it’s super cheap too?

Reactions: L.Leon
Reactions: UCChris
I've had one for years. I used to try and use the fence for stability at the dairy but the cows would all gather around. With the Trigger stick I set up away from the fence and the cows don't care. If I can touch something stable with my right elbow it's almost as good as a bench. I walk around with the legs partially open holding one leg making it easy to set up.

@iAMzehTOASTY1 There is a rubber strap that secures the legs for storage or carrying. It can be removed, but then you have to worry about holding the loose legs securely so that they don’t “clang” together while attempting to stalk animals.

The rubber feet often get snagged by green briars which grow all over the place in my region. Sometimes this will cause one of the telescopic legs to become extended inadvertently as you walk through the undergrowth and a vine’s thorn(s) dig into and grab the rubber foot. Think about walking with bipod tucked beneath your armpit and maneuvering through brush only to have a vine that you’ve gotten your body past, dig into or wrap around your bipod/tripod legs.

If carried the other way (feet close to armpit) the vines can hang up on the trigger. Additionally it will take longer to flip the shooting rest around in order to deploy for a shot.

To get a better idea take a look at the photo in my profile banner. That’s taken in a relatively open area beneath the a canopy of hardwoods and conifers around a creek.
Awww yesss! I understand now😅been in some areas like that before.
Hmm🤔
Maybe a thin slick plastic tubing over ...uhh...🫠
I hate that I get ideas on how to improve something that is not in front of me🤦‍♂️...
Just the problem sol wr in me I guess

I (and others) have posted this site before, but several (including me) have purchased Trigger Sticks from Rogers Sporting Goods. The price has gone up a fair bit in the last couple months, but was still cheaper than Amazon last time I checked, and it supports a small business (that I'm not affiliated with in any way). https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/search?order=relevance:desc&keywords=Tall Trigger Stick

I got mine here and they shipped very quickly. Haven't used mine in the field yet, but quite impressed with just toying around with it.

Strange Happenings:
Received two "Price Alert" notifications that Onyx Gen 3 Trigger Tripod has dropped to $62. Pop up in upper right corner, when clicked straight to Amazon where price remains $99. Some kind of scam?
@WorriedMan I saw something like what you described before on Midway. Turns out that the problem was in selecting the color (Onyx) that corresponded to the sale price for that option only. Do you think that may be the case on Amz?