• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Priest 2, can't reach velocities others can?

Hope that some Priest owners can climb in here. I recently got myself a Priest 2 in .22 with the .22 Long Range barrel. The regulator is the adjustable one. Also got the heavier hammerspring and extra hammerweight from the .25/.30 models. 

I see others on Youtube with the same configuration getting 895 fps with the regulator @150 bar (JSB Redesigned 25 grain). In my case i only get 853 fps. 

To reach 895 fps, i need to increase the regulator to 170/175 bar. So there seems something not right.

I checked the gauges, because maybe they don't show correct value's, but they seem okay. 

The only difference i found out with the guys getting more velocity, is that they have a .25 Priest and changed the barrel to .22. My Priest is .22 out of the factory, no caliber change. 

I emailed RTI and asked if the internals could be different (.22 versus .25/.30 models) but they claim they are all the same, except for the hammerspring and extra hammerweight. But i got those so no difference.

Anyone an idea?

.22 regs are at 125bar and gear for standard pellet weight, 18gr. The .25s are set at 150 with a stronger spring, hammer and weight and can get close to 50fpe . (That's my under standing from Gregor's video.) 

It seems you should get a little more power than that eith all. 25 hardware. I dont understand. Did you ever leave the hammer spring cick for an extended time?

By the way, there will be a new Rti gun (The Prophet) rcoming in development with a 190bar ref, even stronger spring, lever cocking, more plenum space, and new sepecial barrel designed monster RD and for extreme speeds ( above 1000fps). The gun was at EBR and won the 50 yard.

Wait until this one comes out, if you really want to redesigneds.

I have The Priest mk1 with adjustable regulator and butt plate with hammer spring adjuster and two regular barrels. 22 and. 25.

Jsb jumbo monster goes around 930fps with 160bar reg. setting and with heavier spring and weight.

Jsb jumbo beast goes around 870fps with same setting. 

Harold 999 you didn't mention do you have a buttplate with hammer spring adjuster? If you don't have the answer is there. 

My adjustable reg wouldn’t hold a setpoint from day to day so my velocities were all over the place. It also crept so my gun always started slow. You might want to make sure your barrel is secured where it’s supposed to be. I experienced a strange velocity drop while shooting a string. Here the grub screw wasn’t tight enough and my barrel moved forward just a little. I use my Ninja bottle reg tester to insure my reg is set where it is supposed to be. 

My Rti Priest 2 is shooting the 25.4 redesigns at 865. Id take a hard look at the type of cronie your using and type of cronie the sources of your 895fps are coming from. I have a 50fps difference between my Labradar and the Caldwell. I wouldn't worry about having my gun at any predetermined speed. Id check to see how accurate it is at the speed it set at now. Then with carful adjustment find where it shoots best at. The speed of other's is only a guide, not a rule. Good luck

My Rti Priest 2 is shooting the 25.4 redesigns at 865. Id take a hard look at the type of cronie your using and type of cronie the sources of your 895fps are coming from. I have a 50fps difference between my Labradar and the Caldwell. I wouldn't worry about having my gun at any predetermined speed. Id check to see how accurate it is at the speed it set at now. Then with carful adjustment find where it shoots best at. The speed of other's is only a guide, not a rule. Good luck

So far the redesigns shoot best close to 900. But to get this speed i need the reg set at 170/175 and it uses a ridiculous amount of air then.

Did you ever leave the hammer spring cick for an extended time?

Nope.

I do have that "long range" barrel by the way, designed for the Redesigned pellets and high speed.

Only missing the high speed...

I wonder, how on earth are people getting decent speed with the .30 barrel kit? I'm already struggeling getting 25 grainers at decent speeds, let alone 43 grain .30 pellets. 

Fill your gun up, let it sit for a while, then show us a 20 shot string. Don't make any adjustments. Just 20 shots. I want to see what that looks like before I take my .25 apart and measure my porting. I can shoot a 25gr pellet 940fps if I want with just a hammer spring adjustment. 940fps does me no good because nothing shoots good that fast so I have mine backed down to 890fps and its great. I do this with a true and tested to verify, 150b reg setting. I do know that pushing a 25gr .25cal pellet at 900fps takes a different air requirement than a .22 pushing a 25gr 900fps. I just want to see what your reg is doing right now, When you set it to 150 or 170, Does it hold that set point from day to day? Does it creep up above your set point if you let it sit? How does it recover between shots? When I had the adjustable reg on mine, I had it set for 150b. Once I started shooting it would never recover to 150b between shots unless I waited a long time. Thus my shots got slower. If I let the gun sit for too long the reg would creep to 160-170b and once again my shots were slow for my hammer spring setting.

Fill your gun up, let it sit for a while, then show us a 20 shot string. Don't make any adjustments. Just 20 shots. I want to see what that looks like before I take my .25 apart and measure my porting. I can shoot a 25gr pellet 940fps if I want with just a hammer spring adjustment. 940fps does me no good because nothing shoots good that fast so I have mine backed down to 890fps and its great. I do this with a true and tested to verify, 150b reg setting. I do know that pushing a 25gr .25cal pellet at 900fps takes a different air requirement than a .22 pushing a 25gr 900fps. I just want to see what your reg is doing right now, When you set it to 150 or 170, Does it hold that set point from day to day? Does it creep up above your set point if you let it sit? How does it recover between shots? When I had the adjustable reg on mine, I had it set for 150b. Once I started shooting it would never recover to 150b between shots unless I waited a long time. Thus my shots got slower. If I let the gun sit for too long the reg would creep to 160-170b and once again my shots were slow for my hammer spring setting.

Here the shotstring:

.22 JSB Monster Redesigned 25.39 grain, reg pressure 150 bar, 500cc Bottle pressure at start 275 bar, at the end 250 bar. Pause between shots ~ 12 seconds.

1 - 259
2 - 258
3 - 259
4 - 259
5 - 259
6 - 259
7 - 259
8 - 257
9 - 258
10 - 260
11 - 260
12 - 260
13 - 257
14 - 259
15 - 257
16 - 256
17 - 256
18 - 256
19 - 257
20 - 257

When I had the adjustable reg on mine, I had it set for 150b. Once I started shooting it would never recover to 150b between shots unless I waited a long time.

The same here. After 10 seconds it has recovered to around 148 i guess. A full 150 takes 30 sec or something. And the next day the reg could be at 155 for the first shot but i have a feeling that this was more of an issue when it was new, it's better now. 

Sounds like your gun is good to go. 935fps with a 25gr pellet and a 150b reg setting. That’s nothing to complain about.

Sorry, made a mistake. 258m/s is 846fps.

I wish it was 935fps @150bar, this topic wouldn't have existed then. ;-)

The Slovenian guy on Youtube who does a lot of Priest reviews is getting 895fps.

50 more than me with the exact same configuration. Altough, his barrel is different in that video. I think he uses the stock .22 barrel from CZ. I have the LW .22 "long range" barrel.