Pressure gauge on Benjamin Akela

Im planning to install Lane reg on my Benjamin Akela. exiting pressure gauge will become useless and i was thinking to install smaller gauge to monitor regulated pressure. Does anyone know any good gauge for that purpose? or at least does anyone know the thread size on akela for pressure gauge? thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited:
What do you mean by smaller? Smaller as in a smaller (finer) graduation scale?
My two Akela’s have the typical 3000 psi gauges that are marked out in 100 psi increments. All five of my regulated Marauders have the same type gauge. Actually they look suspiciously like they might be the same gauge even though they have different parts numbers on the EVPs. Never had a need to pull the Akela’s gauges so I haven’t compared them to the ones on the Marauders. So no, I don’t know the thread size.
But I don’t know why the 3000 psi gauges wouldn’t work to monitor your reg pressure. They work fine for that purpose on my Marauders.

Last edited:
What do you mean by smaller? Smaller as in a smaller (finer) graduation scale?
My two Akela’s have the typical 3000 psi gauges that are marked out in 100 psi increments. All five of my regulated Marauders have the same type gauge. Actually they look suspiciously like they might be the same gauge even though they have different parts numbers on the EVPs. Never had a need to pull the Akela’s gauges so I haven’t compared them to the ones on the Marauders. So no, I don’t know the thread size.
But I don’t know why the 3000 psi gauges wouldn’t work to monitor your reg pressure. They work fine for that purpose on my Marauders.
Thanks, i thought to get a gauge with smaller maximum psi, to have better resolution. never had regulated rifle before. will wait till i install the regulator and see if the original gauge is good enough as you said.

I’m not familiar with the Lane regulators but the HUMA I have have range of 80 -170 bar. 1 bar = 14.5 psi. So minimum psi is around 1160 to a maximum of 2465 psi and I don’t think they recommend setting the regulator at either of those extremes so really the useable range is probably more like 85-165 bar or 1200ish to 2400 psi. Haven’t regulated my Akela’s but unless you’re planning on a low power tune I doubt you’ll be setting the regulator any lower than maybe (just a guess) 110 bar (1595 psi) and probably more like 130-135 bar or around 1800-2000 psi if you’re going to maintain close to unregulated power. So at minimum you’ll want a 2000 psi gauge and I just don’t think there is going to be any more precision in the pressure measurements between a 2000 and 3000 psi gauge that will be anymore useful.
If you want a little more precision when you set the regulator you can get a regulator tester but it’s not necessary. HUMA has a regulator tester and I’m sure Lane probably makes one too. The HUMA reg tester has a gauge that goes up in 10 bar increments. So this isn’t a super fine precision adjustment operation but it’s a little more precise than guesstimating the setting using the paper scale they put on the regulator. Again the tester isn’t necessary unless you want another way to confirm/compare to what the gauge on the gun reads.

I’m not familiar with the Lane regulators but the HUMA I have have range of 80 -170 bar. 1 bar = 14.5 psi. So minimum psi is around 1160 to a maximum of 2465 psi and I don’t think they recommend setting the regulator at either of those extremes so really the useable range is probably more like 85-165 bar or 1200ish to 2400 psi. Haven’t regulated my Akela’s but unless you’re planning on a low power tune I doubt you’ll be setting the regulator any lower than maybe (just a guess) 110 bar (1595 psi) and probably more like 130-135 bar or around 1800-2000 psi if you’re going to maintain close to unregulated power. So at minimum you’ll want a 2000 psi gauge and I just don’t think there is going to be any more precision in the pressure measurements between a 2000 and 3000 psi gauge that will be anymore useful.
If you want a little more precision when you set the regulator you can get a regulator tester but it’s not necessary. HUMA has a regulator tester and I’m sure Lane probably makes one too. The HUMA reg tester has a gauge that goes up in 10 bar increments. So this isn’t a super fine precision adjustment operation but it’s a little more precise than guesstimating the setting using the paper scale they put on the regulator. Again the tester isn’t necessary unless you want another way to confirm/compare to what the gauge on the gun reads.
Thanks for the detailed explanation, it makes sense. I think HUMA by default is set to 130bar if you don't request any specific setting, dont know what is the default for Lane. I saw Sub12 youtube video and they include paperwork and bar settings with Lane reg. My goal with the regulator install is to increase shots count but more importantly to have consistency between shots

Cut hammer spring so it has no tension and still use adjustment. I think l cut it to 2 1/2". Polished and adjusted trigger to two stage. Made a single shot tray. Bought an aluminum barrel band. Removed shroud and installed a 1/2 x 20 threaded moderator that l made. Refinished the stock with Minwax antique oil finish. Installed lane regulator. If l didn't have a lathe and mill, l would have used a Huma regulator. Hopefully l'm finished for a while.