Pressure and storage of a PCP?

I store mine at what ever is left when Im finished for the day. My guns are regulated so i like keeping them at least 100+ psi over reg pressure. I have a friend fills his to max after he is finished and he or I never have a problem.... I like to write the pressure on a piece of paper and put it away with my rifles after each use to monitor for leaks.

Reactions: Tackman
I'm kinda like sonny, I usually store mine with what is left over at the end of a session. (Usually at a level I would need to refill before continuing to shoot, right around the reg pressure) I would not want to leave it stored at full pressure for any length of time, just to eliminate the stress on the parts of having to hold a full load. To each their own. Enjoy the world of PCP! It's a hoot!

Well I happen to have useful data here.

After buying the WC, I have had my FX T12 sitting for 2 and half years now at 220bar - around 3000psi? At some point I shot a couple through it but filled it back up because I always keep my guns ready to go.

I also fill it with a pump so the seals are maybe not as clean as with bottle fillers.

So I would not say that storing it under full pressure gives it any problems. These systems are more like designed for high pressure, not low pressure.

FX manual however recommends storing guns long-term in lower pressure, I think 50-100bar. But that may be for resale people, incase of a fire you would not be in a building with those in it.. Practically the
force of a hand grenade.

This is a great topic, because I want to store my Umarex Gauntlet .177 away because I don't shoot it as much as my others, anymore. I have it all Hajimoto'd out to the max, so it's an awesome rifle. 

I wasn't sure if I should store it with or without air. Kind of like a car - When storing a car for long periods of time, it is recommended that you drain all the fluids and have an empty gas tank. I'm not sure about airguns if it helps to have pressure on the O-rings, or not. Will pressure keep them working longer or is an empty PCP just a leaking rifle waiting to happen ? 

I like to put away my PCPs with 100 BAR in them, been doing it for a decade and a half and I'm used to do that.

With 100 BAR in there's still a couple usable shots if I need to pick one up for some quick action, also by always putting them away at the same pressure if I leak develops I will know immediately as I go re-fill.

I have been topping my Marauder off after shooting for the last 7 years. I tore it down about a year after I got it because I was concerned about moisture from hand pumping (bone dry in the tube). Then I blew the poppet tuning an SSG assembly the following year. It's been five years since its last tear down and I decided to do this now because I am bored, not because there is any problem. Absolutely zero evidence of moisture inside the tube (my chief concern because I only use a hand pump). However, the o-rings were in pretty poor shape. They had all taken a set and were no longer round. Some were showing signs of extrusion failure and had developed wings. They were about to fail on me. The valve poppet is also showing signs of stress.

IMG_8472.1641983363.jpg

IMG_8477.1641983364.jpg

I think 5 years is pretty good service for o-rings that spent more time holding 2800 PSI than not. I'll probably continue to store the Mrod the way I have been. The parts are cheap and easy to replace. However, this does give pause to the idea of storing my Dreamline the same way. There's more going on in there than in the Mrod. I've had a tendency to store it wherever I left off, refilling before another session. Perhaps it may be wise to consistently store it closer to the regulated pressure.

Reactions: Smaug