Preparing a new aluminium slug mold : is heat cycling needed ?

You will find different opinions for my fishing molds I blacken the face with acet. before I use them I preheat them a little , & you will see any moisture flash off the face of the mold . works for me . Usually takes a few pours to get it going good just don't let the mold get to hot . second edit sorry I do this to the old style cast alum. molds but the Doit molds I just preheat Darell

I clean a new mold with Dawn dish soap, blow dry, then preheat on a hot plate to 300 F and start casting. After the first pour I will lube the sprue plate, sprue bolts and the alignment pins while casting are still in the mold (helps keep lube out of the cavities). Typically tossing the first 10-20 pours back in the pot. Mainly just getting mold up to ideal temp. I have never had a problem dropping castings out of a mold. I use a 1lb dead blow mallet and tap the pivot bolt on the handles and they drop right out.

I clean mold with Dawn, dry it overnight, lube the pins and sprue bolt and then smoke the mold with a zippo lighter. I just set the mold on top of my lead pot to heat up while the pot is heating up. before I pour my first cast, I dip the edge of my mold into the lead for just 5 to 10 seconds then start casting bullets. I will put bullets back into the lead pot until it starts producing good results...maybe 3-5 pours. have a damp rag close so when your bullets get frosty ( which means mold is to hot) just touch your mold to the damp rag to cool it down. I have never used a brass mold but have a lot of aluminum ones and a few steel. Good Luck.