• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Preferred seat for HFT

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get my last bit of gear for HFT. I am struggling to find a chair. Theres so many options some good some meh. I need something 17-18 inches tall or taller. What are chairs that can support 300lbs and stil be sturdy that people like?

Ive been trying to find a 5 gallon bucket/seat combo that would work. However it seems like I cant find one. I also wonder if this is a viable option if the ground isnt perfectly flat.

I appreciate any ideas you can provide.

Couple folding options

Reactions: MysticalDragon
That's exactly what I use. a shower chair. 4 leg adjustable and STABLE. I found bucket to be very tippy.
The chair sits at the back of my "stroller".

1695130455823.jpeg

Reactions: MysticalDragon
The height is very critical to get your elbows on your knees for the most stable position.

Play around with various heights to see what works best for your physiology.

Delicate balance between too low and squishing your gut and too high and having your elbows floating around in thin air, causing unsteadiness.

For your weight requirement, I would look at the first link to the aluminum step stool at harbor freight. I've cracked a couple of the folding plastic ones and I'm around 240 lbs. And don't even think about a 3 legged stool like Motorhead suggested, you will wind up on the ground with someone extracting the stool from you. The shower seat will work but it's cumbersome with the fixed legs.
I saw a guy this weekend with a fold-out leg stool. He had hooks on the bottom of one side, and when he was done shooting he would flip up the legs on that side and hook it to his cart. Pretty handy.

3 legs sit on uneven ground & will be stable .... 4 leg or parallel surfaces do not !! * as one who has tried Bucket/s, Folding steps & stools the TRI-leg far & away in the most stable and butt locked down of any seating tried to date.

More than anything ... the seats HEIGHT is VERY IMPORTANT in getting ones elbows locked onto the backside of ones knee's ( Both knees when shot is being taken )
Shorter ones inseam ( leg length in general ) shorter the seat needs to be in getting butt lower so ones elbow can rest on knee.
Elbows sitting mid thigh muscle is NOT a very stable position. With many opting to cup the forehand arm / hand under rifles butt stock.

Figure out WHAT WORKS FOR YOU .. Poo Poo those that don't agree and get STABLE !!!

Last edited:
3 legs sit on uneven ground & will be stable .... 4 leg or parallel surfaces do not !! * as one who has tried Bucket/s, Folding steps & stools the TRI-leg far & away in the most stable and butt locked down of any seating tried to date.

More than anything ... the seats HEIGHT is VERY IMPORTANT in getting ones elbows locked onto the backside of ones knee's ( Both knees when shot is being taken )
Shorter ones inseam ( leg length in general ) shorter the seat needs to be in getting butt lower so ones elbow can rest on knee.
Elbows sitting mid thigh muscle is NOT a very stable position. With many opting to cup the forehand arm / hand under rifles butt stock.

Figure out WHAT WORKS FOR YOU .. Poo Poo those that don't agree and get STABLE !!!
Great feedback and insight as always. Pointing out many things id not thought about.

Thank you.

Reactions: Motorhead
Much as I love my stool, she doesn't meet your two primary requisites. Nevertheless, for some Mystical reason I thought you might appreciate her other fine attributes. It seems as if fellow FT shooters that appreciate her most are about my age; the other thing we have in common being graduating high school in the late sixties/early seventies.:unsure: Among those most impressed with my FT stool were dudes named Kreskin, Gallagher, Carnac, Houdini, and my crazy Uncle Albert E.

Being SO unique🥴, I felt she deserves a name.

El Esti-o_O

1695146059178.png

Among other fine attributes of extreme lightweight and contorting into a compact, easily-manipulated package🥰, she also features stash pockets on two sides handy for carrying pellets and other small items.🤯

I've yet to meet another FT stool as unique, nor another FT shooter that names his stool! I find that somewhat Mystical.

Happy Shooting,
Tim Leary 😲

P.S.- Peace out.✌️

Last edited:
Much as I love my stool, she doesn't meet your two primary requisites. Nevertheless, for some Mystical reason I thought you might appreciate her other fine attributes. It seems as if fellow FT shooters that appreciate her most are about my age; the other thing we have in common being graduating high school in the late sixties/early seventies.:unsure: Among those most impressed with my FT stool were dudes named Kreskin, Gallagher, Carnac, Houdini, and my crazy Uncle Albert E.

Being SO unique🥴, I felt she deserves a name.

El Esti-o_O

View attachment 390189

Among other fine attributes of extreme lightweight and contorting into a compact, easily-manipulated package🥰, she also features stash pockets on two sides handy for carrying pellets and other small items.🤯

I've yet to meet another FT stool as unique, nor another FT shooter that names his stool! I find that somewhat Mystical.

Happy Shooting,
Tim Leary 😲

P.S.- Peace out.✌️
Quadriplegic comes to mind :unsure:

Couple folding options

got mine free at a Bakery