Predator Polymags really work (graphic)

What can I say? I read the glowing reviews, and heard the hype. So I needed to try some for myself.

The top of my shed is a rat highway. I set up my Wyze cam and HF ding Dong to alert me to them.

This morning at 03:00 a.m. I received the alert and grabbed my 0.25 Talon SS. Loaded a Predator Polymag and WHACK!

The force of the pellet hitting him back flipped him. Reviewing the carnage shows you the damage. WOW. I am, now a believer.

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

Polymags are definitely worth all of the hype that has been placed on them. One of my favorite pellets to shoot out of my Benjamin Bulldogs

What is their effective range? I have the Polymags in 0.22 for my PROD and the 0.25 for my AF Talon. Some claim that for some critters (depending on the gun and range) that a domed pellet would be more effective. Like say a Raccoon or Possum.

What is their effective range? I have the Polymags in 0.22 for my PROD and the 0.25 for my AF Talon. Some claim that for some critters (depending on the gun and range) that a domed pellet would be more effective. Like say a Raccoon or Possum.
It depends on the amount of energy you have at the target distance. I have taken 105 yard headshots and dropped several at 60-70 yards with bodyshots, but that is shooting them at 160fpe.

With the energy levels you are working with, it would be a better bet to use a dome pellet or maybe the H&N Hornets, if your gun can shoot them accurately. You need higher velocity in order for the Polymags to expand adequately and penetrate larger quarry.

Raccoon are tough, resiliant animals. Head shots rule the day. Domed pellets will penetrate skulls much more effectively than other alternatives which have a tendency to skip off. A 33ish grain .25 will drop a raccoon even when launched at low velocity. Did one in yesterday while batting cleanup as the cages were full. .25 cal @ 600 fps launching a "hard as marbles" korean domed pellet... Very effective. Your Talon may have enough oomph to make a body shot work but I would not expect that with regularity nor consistency.

On the same note, possums are not tough but they do "play possum". When dispatching possums I always give one to the head and two to the body. Doesn't matter if there is a perceived need. Brain on a possum sits further back, closer to the ears.

Reactions: Senor Ramon
It depends on the amount of energy you have at the target distance. I have taken 105 yard headshots and dropped several at 60-70 yards with bodyshots, but that is shooting them at 160fpe.

With the energy levels you are working with, it would be a better bet to use a dome pellet or maybe the H&N Hornets, if your gun can shoot them accurately. You need higher velocity in order for the Polymags to expand adequately and penetrate larger quarry.

I have some H&N 0.25 caliber hornets laying around. Only used them on birds so far. I'm wondering if the result will be similar to the Polymags on rats. I guess there is only one way to find out.

I have some H&N 0.25 caliber hornets laying around. Only used them on birds so far. I'm wondering if the result will be similar to the Polymags on rats. I guess there is only one way to find out.
The Hornets excel at getting great penetration on tough targets. I taken 5 or 6 raccoons with the Grizzly in a 45 fpe .25 cal PCP, but they were all headshots. Bodyshots with the .25 cal Grizzly and Polymags were ineffective.

polymags always do fine when you tune your gun to them, or you have the
perfect tune for them.
Ever seen the results of impact with the tips removed on
a squirrel ??
i will be honest to say....lobotomy !! (y)

Kevin, i just hadta say that .... 👨‍🌾 .

No, I can't say that I have. I would assume it would look like a regular hollow point result. Am I mistaken?

What is their effective range? I have the Polymags in 0.22 for my PROD.

Yupp — same question I have for .22cal:
What is their effective range?

Effective as in: At what range do they still expand in game?

(For that information to be meaningful/ useful I'd need to know the muzzle velocity, too, I'm sure you understand.)

Thanks! 👍🏼

Matthias

What can I say? I read the glowing reviews, and heard the hype. So I needed to try some for myself.

The top of my shed is a rat highway. I set up my Wyze cam and HF ding Dong to alert me to them.

This morning at 03:00 a.m. I received the alert and grabbed my 0.25 Talon SS. Loaded a Predator Polymag and WHACK!

The force of the pellet hitting him back flipped him. Reviewing the carnage shows you the damage. WOW. I am, now a believer.

View attachment 279290

View attachment 279291
Excellent shot. Polymags are my only hunting pellet I used for year's.

Reactions: Senor Ramon
I would stay within 50yds if shooting a tough critter like a raccoon with polymags and only use headshots and I'm talking with the 25 talon. The 22 prod is under powered so I'd say maybe 20ish at best and again Dome shots only! Be safe