• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Precision Pecking Order: Slug Brands

Even in external ballistics, the word "precision" has different meanings. What is called precision in the US is called dispersion in the UK, and precision is used to denote the combination of accuracy and dispersion. This is why there have been attempts to define terms in international ballistic meetings.

However, in terms of group size, there is much more to consider rather than just the slug itself. For instance, the gun itself needs to match the slug design. The best design slug in the world may not behave well from a barrel with the wrong twist rate, or a gun which has a short barrel with a high muzzle pressure.

The combination of gun, slug and shooter is a system, which all needs to work together for the best results. There is no one component of the system which can be considered the "best".
Interesting! I had always previously thought of precision as being strictly in reference to group size, regardless of how far or close that group may have fallen in relation to the center of the target. The term dispersion is a new one to me, but makes sense to refer to it in that manner as well. Thanks for the info!

For instance, the gun itself needs to match the slug design

Spot on. I've always recommend that people should try and identify the projectile that they need first and foremost, and then figure out which barrel and rifle are appropriate. It's much better than trying to shove a square peg in a round hole.

There's obviously lots of variables there like shooting styles.. e.g. PRS, benchrest, distance, and for hunting - game size, legalities / regulations, desired shot count and so forth. Average winds are another big one, if you live somewhere with a constant wind component and shoot beyond 100y - you generally want heavier and / or higher BC ammo.

I get that some people will find a pellet rifle that they really like and get the itch to make slugs shoot out of them like a match grade 6.5cm, but with factory airguns the expectations should be set as such that they're generally designed to be pellet rifles (even when the maker claims otherwise). In reality, there's not many that are slug-ready out of the box. Their either short on power or have substandard straw barrels with bendy shrouds that just aren't right for high power / heavier slug shooting.

Spot on. I've always recommend that people should try and identify the projectile that they need first and foremost, and then figure out which barrel and rifle are appropriate.
Ok, thought that sounded awfully familiar when I read it, and then it clicked, you were the same person over on Sniper's Hide who so graciously was helping me better understand some PCP concepts that I posed questions on over there. Same screen name and picture to boot; would have thought I could have made the connection a little faster, lol. Thank you for continuing to add to my PCP education, I appreciate it!

• Love
Reactions: mtnGhost