Precision ELR shooting vs …

… a “Hail Mary” shot that happened to hit some kind of target.

“The Long Range Club” is a sub forum on the GTA. They welcome all posts about ELR and airguns, but if you want to get any credit for good shooting, the minimum acceptable for a record distance, is a 5 shot group with at least 3 inside or touching the 4 moa ring using an acceptable target. That’s a good minimum practical standard that I like to adhere to. Even better to do it cold bore (no practice shots). >50% hit rate takes it out of the realm of a lucky shot (though barely).

I’ve decided, going forward, I won’t participate in “Hail Mary” threads. Have fun.

300yd, 500yd, 600yd, and 1000yd F-class targets are available that are great for documenting ELR airgun shooting. I staple the target to a sheet of plywood that I hang from an old patio swing frame. On the days that I do that type of shooting, I spend a lot of time and do a lot of walking. I’m looking into a wireless camera systems.

let’s see your “practical” ELR shooting on this Airgun Nation ELR forum.

Last edited:
Scotchmo, where can I source 300yd, 500yd, 600yd, and 1000yd F-class targets?
Rod in San Francisco
There are a number of different sources. I’ve already got 300yd and 500yd targets for when you come down here. Here are a couple of sources:

… a “Hail Mary” shot that happened to hit some kind of target.

“The Long Range Club” is a sub forum on the GTA. They welcome all posts about ELR and airguns, but if you want to get any credit for good shooting, the minimum acceptable for a record distance, is a 5 shot group with at least 3 inside or touching the 4 moa ring using an acceptable target. That’s a good minimum practical standard that I like to adhere to. Even better to do it cold bore (no practice shots). >50% hit rate takes it out of the realm of a lucky shot (though barely).

I’ve decided, going forward, I won’t participate in “Hail Mary” threads. Have fun.

300yd, 500yd, 600yd, and 1000yd F-class targets are available that are great for documenting ELR airgun shooting. I staple the target to a sheet of plywood that I hang from an old patio swing frame. On the days that I do that type of shooting, I spend a lot of time and do a lot of walking. I’m looking into a wireless camera systems.

let’s see your “practical” ELR shooting on this Airgun Nation ELR forum.
Like this… I played that game at GTA, took many attempts to achieve and I learned what my Bantam was capable of…
edited to add this was shot at my backyard range. And even today with my Pathfinder XR, I get consistent hit on chipmunk sized and smaller objects, consistently… out to that 102 yards. Lots of shooting on my parts, and of course, I never miss…🤓

IMG_1678.jpeg

Last edited:
Like this… I played that game at GTA, took many attempts to achieve and I learned what my Bantam was capable of…
edited to add this was shot at my backyard range. And even today with my Pathfinder XR, I get consistent hit on chipmunk sized and smaller objects, consistently… out to that 102 yards. Lots of shooting on my parts, and of course, I never miss…🤓

View attachment 392981
That’s an accomplishment. My best recorded ELR yet is Expert (one level below Master), shown in an earlier thread:

Good concept. I have been unimpressed by the guys lobbing dozens of pellets at a far-off balloon and declaring victory when the mathematical probability catches up and they eventually hit it.
The Altaros guy did show it popping the balloon after being fired, so it is evidence that their slug eventually hit the intended target (the balloon). The GTA membership in general were likewise unimpressed. But in another GTA post, Altaros did show achievement of a 300yd Master rating according to NUAH rules, and claim a "world record" for that as well. It is the best yet. They earned credit for that.

Midwayusa has the SME target cameras on sale, so I just ordered the 1 mile version. I have no plans on going past 600yds at this point, but it will hopefully save a lot of trips down range.

Wow brings back memories. I forgot about the NUAH club. Almost 5 years ago to the day. I was able to get 2 guns to "master" one day. Why I sold those 2 guns beats me. Never tried it again lol figured I hit it lucky with a dead calm day so no need to push my luck. I should try it again with my Evol.

Got nothing on your 300yds groups though lol. Yeah I can see that camera system being a big convenience shooting that far. But I 100% agree on the Hail Mary aspect. Try it enough your bound to get lucky. Consistency is what I like.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
I can appreciate where you are coming from. I always cringe a little when people post videos of hitting something at long range and then scream out loud, fist pump, and jump up and down like they won the lottery. If you can do it once, it should be repeatable and not like winning something IMO. But I understand, that's what sells.

I've been shooting "precision ELR " for years now. Every time I see the Altaros 300 yard world record posted, it makes me smile inside because I've beaten it so many times and so long ago with less than half the BC.😁
20211216_192727.jpg
20230930_181436.jpg
20230930_181452.jpg
20230930_181546.jpg
20230930_181554.jpg
20230930_181646.jpg
20230930_181813.jpg

I personally don't feel the need to necessarily shoot any particular type of paper target since all you have to do is measure from the center of the bullseye to get the info you want, but to each their own. I do agree in the 5 shot minimum as a standard.
This is a link to some 400+yard shooting from before we had a ELR section.
https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/400-yards-on-paper-with-22-impact.1057582/

Last edited:
Midwayusa has the SME target cameras on sale, so I just ordered the 1 mile version. I have no plans on going past 600yds at this point, but it will hopefully save a lot of trips down range.

Love to have a unit like that, but on a public range and needing a distance of 8 to 15 ft from target. I'd be afraid of it being accidentally shot from someone else. For personal use I think it would be great on a private range.

Allen

I soon will be diving into increasing the distances at which I shoot airguns so I have been reading a few threads here and there in this section of AGN, currently setting up a LR air rifle as we speak. Why get so torqued up over this though, seems like a ton of effort into getting upset? While I agree a lot of information is missing and I do think there was a poor show of "evidence" , it wasn't used to market or sell anything. There are airgun companies I wont name that target audiences with wow factor videos all the time that cannot be achieved with an off the shelf non cherry picked rifle and hundreds of shots prior to the cherry picked moment.

I can appreciate where you are coming from. I always cringe a little when people post videos of hitting something at long range and then scream out loud, fist pump, and jump up and down like they won the lottery. If you can do it once, it should be repeatable and not like winning something IMO. But I understand, that's what sells.

I've been shooting "precision ELR " for years now. Every time I see the Altaros 300 yard world record posted, it makes me smile inside because I've beaten it so many times and so long ago with less than half the BC.😁
View attachment 393357View attachment 393355View attachment 393353View attachment 393352View attachment 393354View attachment 393356View attachment 393358

I personally don't feel the need to necessarily shoot any particular type of paper target since all you have to do is measure from the center of the bullseye to get the info you want, but to each their own. I do agree in the 5 shot minimum as a standard.
This is a link to some 400+yard shooting from before we had a ELR section.
https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/400-yards-on-paper-with-22-impact.1057582/

Also, holy smokes fantastic shooting!

Have had one for 2 years now love it

Have had one for 2 years now and I on loving it.