• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Precision Airgun Matches

19AAD637-9E13-4FDD-BB40-600AECBC11E4.jpeg

Hey guys! I’m Boyd New member here.
Seasoned competitor but new to the Airgun world. Love PRS/NRL type events and eager to see them grow with airgunners. I’m curious what had been your experience both positive and or negative with precision type matches. What keeps you away or draws you in? Have you tried them? What do you like about them? What do you dislike about them? Are you interested in that discipline? What could we do better to encourage more #airgun participation?

Hi Boyd, welcome. Great question. I've only done Field target and benchrest but would love to try another more open/varied airgun game. I think the sport can grow if more venues are open & promoting a game that is approachable to entry level shooters.

PRS/NRL has a good thing going, and while there are some hi zoot airguns showing up it is hard to beat .22lr. I think the opportunity for airguns is to setup a NRL like lower power, pellet only, 75-100 yard max game. Land constrained ranges can accommodate this setup (by weaving it in with sporting clays / archery for example), and the shooter doesn't need to drop >$2k on kit and maintain >150 BAR to sling slugs.

Easier said than done. The FT guys have their own drama, the NRL types are deep into their voodoo, and the range operators are trying to staff the next event. I was just getting ready to take another run at it with my local club; hoping to hear somebody has something similar up and running or on the drawing board.

Reactions: UtahPewPew
Boyd, good to see you on the forum here. My only experience with PRS/NRL so far is at RMAC and EBR, which had events similar to NRL. I'm not a speed shooter, but I enjoyed them both, even with the timers. If we had more local events, I would try them more often. I like that every target has a different shooting position and distance. I like that we can shoot slugs and not just pellets. The matches run long, which makes for a long day, especially when there are other events I'm competing in on that same day.

Our local range has the facilities (but not the NRL targets). I ran Field Target events at that range for the last 10 years, but we just don't have the manpower or local participation numbers to continue with it effectively. The fact that NRL allows 22lr as well as airguns might make it more viable.

I love to see the inclusion of airgun into PRS and NRL type stuff. BUT (and it's a big but), I'd estimate that that vast majority of "airgunners" are....let's say experienced at life. All that experience is tough on back and knees and bellys......and motivation for physical activity.

The PRS and NRL events seem to be much more physical than likely to be agreeable to a collective with such advanced....experience. Sure, some will love it and be highly involved, but we've got guys that don't think they can sit down on a small bean bag and then get back up roughly 10-14 times because it's too physically demanding (field target). I see the PRS/NRL stuff being a tough sell for such a crowd. Just my opinion.

I love to see the inclusion of airgun into PRS and NRL type stuff. BUT (and it's a big but), I'd estimate that that vast majority of "airgunners" are....let's say experienced at life. All that experience is tough on back and knees and bellys......and motivation for physical activity.

The PRS and NRL events seem to be much more physical than likely to be agreeable to a collective with such advanced....experience. Sure, some will love it and be highly involved, but we've got guys that don't think they can sit down on a small bean bag and then get back up roughly 10-14 times because it's too physically demanding (field target). I see the PRS/NRL stuff being a tough sell for such a crowd. Just my opinion.
Valid points! I guess the next question becomes how do we encourage young blood into the Airguns?

Reactions: Centercut
Welcome to AGN Boyd. I initially resisted NRL22 type shooting since I was already competing in BR, FT, EFT and Speed. But I started to get the bug at RMAC this year, and was fully infected at the EBR Steel Scramble.

I’m 64 and have zero issues getting into the varied positions required to shoot all the stages.
I think instruction on HOW to build a good position to shoot from off barrels, buckets, tires, windows, roofs, ladders and tank traps would help out greatly.

One of the top PRS shooters told me during RMAC that he doesn’t know how we Airgunners hit half that targets that we do with the unstable positions that we put ourselves in.

Availability is another issue. In San Diego I’d need to drive 3+ hours each way for a match…

PRS/NRL-22 is like the Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated….

Last edited:
Welcome to AGN Boyd. I initially resisted NRL22 type shooting since I was already competing in BR, FT, EFT and Speed. But I started to get the bug at RMAC this year, and was fully infected at the EBR Steel Scramble.

I’m 64 and have zero issues getting into the varied positions required to shoot all the stages.
I think instruction on HOW to build a good position to shoot from off barrels, buckets, tires, windows, roofs, ladders and tank traps would help out greatly.

One of the top PRS shooters told me during RMAC that he doesn’t know how we Airgunners hit half that targets that we do with the unstable positions that we put ourselves in.

Availability is another issue. In San Diego I’d need to drive 3+ hours each way for a match…

PRS/NRL-22 is like the Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated….
Bwahahaha ya I wouldn’t trust that guy…

In order to get more younger people involved nrl has probably the best chance especially with airsoft and paintball being so popular. When I put paper targets out the grand kids get bored quick, spinners from same shooting spot keeps them happy for a while longer ,but what they like best is a mini version 10,20 yards of a cross between f/t and nrl just cans around yard with forced position shots. I’d love to try it ,at least while I’m still agile enough

Welcome to AGN Boyd.

Just some background.
Back however many years ago that NRL22 began we started a club here in northern AZ that year. One guy in our club got 2nd place at the national NRL22 event. I went to most of the matches for years and eventually won our big two day match of the year.

I saw this sport progress and kinda the same way as I saw IPSC and USPSA pistol pregress, yep I'm old at 62. I shot NRL22 until about 3 years ago. I stopped partly because of age and eyesight but mostly because of the advent of the 20+ pound Vudoos began to make an appearance. I shoot a Anschutz 1827F 22RF biathlon rifle which used to be darn good for the sport which gave me quite a few wins but after getting behind Jason A's Vudoo on a Wiebad Fortune Cookie it was so steady off an obstacle "and balanced" that I decided it was time to quit the game. I just didn't want to go further down that road anymore.

But as to airguns and NRL stages, I found it frustrating trying to hit the same official targets and distances, with pellets! These same stages are not so hard with a 22rf but way hard with pellets. Plainly put IMHO, and to make this type of sport more fun for airgunners, the targets must be big enough to afford similar hit ratios as with the same stages done with a 22rf. Using slugs in AG's help a little more but still not up there with the 22rf.

That's my #1 suggestion.
Personally I won't drive to attend a match designed for 22rf. In a way you can relate to it's like shooting a 223 Rem with 55 grainers at a PRS match designed around 6.5 Creed, 6XC, 6mmDasher, etc.

I am pretty familiar with NRL rules, as I am acquainted with one of the founders, and he's the guy that writes the rules. His name is Ty and he's a good dude who meant for NRL22 to be for families to shoot together. He wanted it to be something that would draw youth into the sport to help seed the interest to keep it moving forward. He also added in the ability for match directors to make allowances in shooting position for more experienced shooters who couldn't shoot the roof stage with their back bent and knees folded.

Reactions: drsquall
The reason I quit prs 22 was because of the positional shooting. I have ruptured discs in my lumbar spine and it was getting bad enough at certain positions I would not even try it. It got to be not fun. I loved it but I found field target and am happy again. I keep thinking about getting a Panthera and trying it again but it's just not worth it. After a 2 day regional I was out of commission for a week. I think it's a great sport and fun for all ages and encourage others to try it.

Reactions: Geekmedic
Myself and my two oldest boys have started to compete in nrl22 matches. We’ve been well received and have had fun. While the 22rf guns have a somewhat of an advantage our scores are compared to others shooting Airguns so it’s not a problem.
despite the disadvantages we’ve been coming in near the middle of the pack. Outshooting many who shoot 22s and have been at it much longer than us.

Reactions: woogie_man
Have been shooting for a while with the 22LR, but working on getting an airgun built up. While the 22lr's are fun there is something about an airgun that is fun. That and the fact that it is a chance to shut up a few locals is a big plus!

Just go out and have fun guys. If anyone is questioning if they should go shoot or not..... DO IT!

Reactions: tibor and airprsr
Can say from personal experience, winning a full field match with an airgun is an awesome feeling. But regardless of your finish, the rimfire guys are genuinely interested in what airguns are capable of. @AirShootist and I have had some great conversations and become pretty good friends with some of them. He even setup an airgun demo day after a match this past summer. Like woogie_man said... just get out there and shoot!