• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

PP700SA - Question about play in shroud and barrel...

So - got a new PP700 SA yesterday and noticed quite a bit of play in the barrel shroud.

Mounted a scope to the gun, but have not really had a chance to shoot it much yet. Much louder than I had imagined.

So - off to DonnyFL for an adapter and the Tanto that I see so many folks using...should make it back yard friendly I'm assuming.

Removed the end cap and the shroud, and notice the barrel is pretty loose as well, kinda moves around - is this normal? Any mods that can be done to fix it? Does it need fixed?

Looking for some feedback.

Thanks,

eric

If you look at the E in Artemis, you can see the screw. You do it on each side.
1564074041_19813361835d39e039080272.94641766_CC78FA26-4DA1-430D-840B-646D127A80E1.jpeg

I'm outside looking in

so your saying that the barrel is screwed into the sleeve that is, I guess pressed in the breech frame and when they get loose your are just fixing them

did i understand that right and if so why would you repair the pistol, that it a manufacturing flaw and would never be fix until they have a few dozen returned guns and maybe not then

so until that problem is fixed everyone that buys this pistol is buying a crap shoot and not all could fix it and once they drill holes I would assume they are screwed if they fail

huh

I was wondering what the "fit" is... Is it a press fit...??? Is there anything holding part #7 in place in the receiver/breech...??? My PP700 should be here in a couple days, I'm curious if anyone has thought about using an anaerobic like permanent Loctite or sleeve retainer...??? Much less destructive than drilling holes and tapping them, also can be undone with heat... Just a thought....

Ken

I'm outside looking in

so your saying that the barrel is screwed into the sleeve that is, I guess pressed in the breech frame and when they get loose your are just fixing them

did i understand that right and if so why would you repair the pistol, that it a manufacturing flaw and would never be fix until they have a few dozen returned guns and maybe not then

so until that problem is fixed everyone that buys this pistol is buying a crap shoot and not all could fix it and once they drill holes I would assume they are screwed if they fail

huh

If you don’t want to fix your new gun, then you steer clear of SPA and now Diana guns. It is definitely no secret. Obviously guys like gambling because it only takes a quick google search to see the issues you might face. 

I was wondering what the "fit" is... Is it a press fit...??? Is there anything holding part #7 in place in the receiver/breech...??? My PP700 should be here in a couple days, I'm curious if anyone has thought about using an anaerobic like permanent Loctite or sleeve retainer...??? Much less destructive than drilling holes and tapping them, also can be undone with heat... Just a thought....

Ken

You can do whatever you want to secure the piece. I was hoping mine would be a loose one but it wasn’t. I knew I was going to be building different barrels for my gun and planned on just removing the piece. Mine is really in there so now I have to thread every barrel. Building a .25 barrel is not an option until I get that bushing out.

Nothing wrong with buying a budget gun with the knowledge that it will likely need to be worked on. In fact, for some that is part of the appeal.

At the other end of the price spectrum, there are also plenty of folks perfectly happy to spend $1500 - $2000 on an Impact with every expectation that they’ll need to change out the regulator. That’s fine too.

Dudes I have a p700w from mrod air. It is lazer accurate at 20 yards. I will be putting in the grub screws because the barrel keeps turning when i screw on the donny fl supressor. What i can say is for 200 bucks getting a regulated 177 pistol getting 20 shots on the reg at 800 fps with cph is freaking amazing. Tap and die set is worth the bs. And it is bs dont get me wrong but guys a dremel tool a tap set and a couple of grub screws = better than marauder accuracy and shotcount. If you can give up the multishot marauder for 150$ savings plus regulator added to the mix things start looking differently. My daughter who is six kills army men at 18 to 20 yards with no magnification with that gun. Its totally stock. Its not a bad gun even w/o mods. I will be securing that barrel tho. Gnight

I'm sure that the grub screw method would work just fine. There is another way to resolve this problem without drilling the frame.

I made a nylon bushing to replace the stock metal bushing. I turned it to a slightly tapered snug press fit in the pistol body and threaded it to match the barrel threading. This allows the barrel to be unscrewed easily and once loosened a few taps on the muzzle end piece will easily move the nylon bushing back out of the frame for barrel removal. When reinstalling the barrel it will pull the bushing in tight to a snug non-rotating fit. This could be done by anyone willing to take the time to fit the nylon bushing. I did it with a drill press, dremel, and hand tools only. Anyone with a lathe could do it much more quickly/easily and could probably make the bushing out of aluminum or possibly brass to accomplish the same thing and be even stronger.

Now for the different part. I also spent some time to shape the rear face of that nylon bushing and also shaped the lip on the barrel threaded end (breech end) to allow fitting of a much thicker o-ring to better seal the breech block. That thicker o-ring has completely eliminated another commonly noted issue with these pistols-air leakage at the breech seal.

Other than thinning the lip of the barrel end and hand shaping the nylon bushing face for the thicker o-ring, this method would be completely reversible for anyone wanting to just make a nylon bushing to replace the stock metal one. It might not be worth the effort in that case and I did the project to both stop the rotation of the bushing and install a thicker breech o-ring. I used a drill press and dremel along with hand tools to make the nylon bushing but anyone with a lathe could make them out of aluminum or possibly brass relatively easily.

As noted, the pistol is surprisingly accurate and plenty powerful. It is one of my "go-to" guns to dispatch problems.