• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Power Tuning Mods for the FX Crown

One thing to note, I found that both of my Crowns needed a minimum 12.4 grams to open the valve all the way over 170bar. Obviously FX doesn't recommend going over 170, but for those using the 190bar Huma regulators, anything less than that will probably not open the valve.

If you have a Dremel / rotary tool, it is very easy to do the probe and brass inlet porting mods. If you need a factory replacement, FX sells them fairly cheap.

Thanks for the weight info @mtnghost.
I searched the web and found spare parts for the FX Crown in Spain; I will order a pellet push probe to be modified and a guide for the hammer spring ... I read that it is to be shortened.
By summarizing the work to be done:
- Buy or build a custom brass hammer with a weight from 12 to 13 gramm and possibly buy a HI Power Huma regulator (from 140 to 190 bar) if you intend to regulate the pressure > 160 bar (the third generation FX regulator should arrive at 160 bar, at least so I understood by reading your topics).
- Optimize the air flow:
* enlarging the hole of the brass TP (make an elongated hole) or buy a TP HUMA (if you choose this option, you need to enlarge the double hole, or leave it original ??)
* change pellet push with the double door shape (like the pellet push that you showed me, @mtngosth)
* replace the 5.5 mm VS with a 6.35 mm Titanium VS (making sure that the probe is the right size to close the 6.35 mm hole).

I know these questions have been asked many times, but I, while looking in the forum, I still have doubts ..... but the hammer is not better to do it again with the same shape as the original, but in brass ??
Does not putting such a heavy hammer risk damaging the Crown's internal mechanical components?

Thanks!

Thanks for the weight info @mtnghost.
I searched the web and found spare parts for the FX Crown in Spain; I will order a pellet push probe to be modified and a guide for the hammer spring ... I read that it is to be shortened.
By summarizing the work to be done:
- Buy or build a custom brass hammer with a weight from 12 to 13 gramm and possibly buy a HI Power Huma regulator (from 140 to 190 bar) if you intend to regulate the pressure > 160 bar (the third generation FX regulator should arrive at 160 bar, at least so I understood by reading your topics).
- Optimize the air flow:
* enlarging the hole of the brass TP (make an elongated hole) or buy a TP HUMA (if you choose this option, you need to enlarge the double hole, or leave it original ??)
* change pellet push with the double door shape (like the pellet push that you showed me, @mtngosth)
* replace the 5.5 mm VS with a 6.35 mm Titanium VS (making sure that the probe is the right size to close the 6.35 mm hole).

I know these questions have been asked many times, but I, while looking in the forum, I still have doubts ..... but the hammer is not better to do it again with the same shape as the original, but in brass ??
Does not putting such a heavy hammer risk damaging the Crown's internal mechanical components?

Thanks!

Hello @Libellule1

Hello

I've been looking at your posts, and we have the same gun, the same model, and we're looking for the same thing.

To increase power what I have been able to collect from information is what you have.
5 aspects to modify.
prices of air, hammer, probe, VS, TP.

the hammer than me. ompre is 9grns, and the manufacturer says that it works perfect for 160 without modifying anything, but buy one of 10 in case I want to increase the pressure a little later.
The one with 12 grain is used for pressures of 185-190 but I consider it to be a lot of pressure.

With which pellet and barrel do you like to wear your crown? do you use it for target shooting? hunting?

It would be good to help each other see how things are going together

Even @runefalk wrote that he uses a 9.5 gram hammer, excellent up to 165bar. I just have to decide how many grams the custom hammer must weigh, also because from the weight it will have, I will buy or not buy the Hi Power Huma regulator (if I decide to stop at 160 bar maximum, I could use the 9 grams hammer). I use the Crown and my other compressed air rifles only for precision shots, in shooting ranges or for fun (long range canister shooting) in the countryside, on my property. In Italy, hunting with compressed air weapons is prohibited and punished with prison and with a very expensive fine. My Crown is, as you already know, cal. 25 and is equipped with a 600 mm slug barrel. In Italy, the slug bullets cal. 25 are not sold (cal. 22 are also purchased with great effort), for this reason I only use JSB King Heavy mk1 and mk2 with 34 grains (2.2 grams) and, if I want to use lighter ammunition, JSB Exact King with 1,645 grams . For now I am obliged to use these ammunition, but I hope that in the future, slug ammunition will also be sold in Italy. My crown has 65J, as stated by the Swedish house FX, but I would like to raise the power of the rifle to at least 85J .... for this reason I want to do some work on the crown, but I don't know if these jobs we wrote about until now they are sufficient and, above all, if a 9 gr hammer and 160 bar of pressure are sufficient to obtain this power, in fact, if possible, I would not buy the Huma regulator. But now I have spent a lot of money on the crown and it is not € 200 that makes me poor, so I will buy everything you need to bring it to 85 / 90Joule with 2.2 gram JSB. This is my story.

Even @runefalk wrote that he uses a 9.5 gram hammer, excellent up to 165bar. I just have to decide how many grams the custom hammer must weigh, also because from the weight it will have, I will buy or not buy the Hi Power Huma regulator (if I decide to stop at 160 bar maximum, I could use the 9 grams hammer). I use the Crown and my other compressed air rifles only for precision shots, in shooting ranges or for fun (long range canister shooting) in the countryside, on my property. In Italy, hunting with compressed air weapons is prohibited and punished with prison and with a very expensive fine. My Crown is, as you already know, cal. 25 and is equipped with a 600 mm slug barrel. In Italy, the slug bullets cal. 25 are not sold (cal. 22 are also purchased with great effort), for this reason I only use JSB King Heavy mk1 and mk2 with 34 grains (2.2 grams) and, if I want to use lighter ammunition, JSB Exact King with 1,645 grams . For now I am obliged to use these ammunition, but I hope that in the future, slug ammunition will also be sold in Italy. My crown has 65J, as stated by the Swedish house FX, but I would like to raise the power of the rifle to at least 85J .... for this reason I want to do some work on the crown, but I don't know if these jobs we wrote about until now they are sufficient and, above all, if a 9 gr hammer and 160 bar of pressure are sufficient to obtain this power, in fact, if possible, I would not buy the Huma regulator. But now I have spent a lot of money on the crown and it is not € 200 that makes me poor, so I will buy everything you need to bring it to 85 / 90Joule with 2.2 gram JSB. This is my story.

bueno todavía no puedo confirmar nada todavía. Todavía lo tengo en stock.

porque las partes que pedí aún no han llegado.

pero mi corona ya estaba puesta en 150bars y trajo 2 barriles, 380 mm y 700 mm y lo uso para cazar.
El 700 barril que no he usado mucho, 10 disparos como máximo, es muy preciso, pero entrar en la montaña es súper fatal.

así que estoy usando 380 mm y me gustaría disparar slug con ese barril

When I bought my crown, from Spain, I would have liked to buy the Continumm with the two rods, but only for the 700mm barrel. the 380 mm barrel, not being able to use it for hunting and for long distance, would remain unused inside a drawer, so I preferred to buy the classic crown. With the euros I saved, I bought the 600mm slug barrel and the "NO LIMITS" FX rings and will be able to buy almost all the pieces to update the crown. 

Yes, a 700 mm rod is really uncomfortable to go hunting, especially in a forest. 

I sent a Wapp message to a friend, very good at working metal ... He will build to me a brass hammer identical in the form to the original.... I don't want to cut the spring guide. Then he will build to me one like the one sold on ebay.

Unfortunately the coronavirus does not allow us to turn, so I will have to wait until May.

When I bought my crown, from Spain, I would have liked to buy the Continumm with the two rods, but only for the 700mm barrel. the 380 mm barrel, not being able to use it for hunting and for long distance, would remain unused inside a drawer, so I preferred to buy the classic crown. With the euros I saved, I bought the 600mm slug barrel and the "NO LIMITS" FX rings and will be able to buy almost all the pieces to update the crown. 

Yes, a 700 mm rod is really uncomfortable to go hunting, especially in a forest. 

I sent a Wapp message to a friend, very good at working metal ... He will build to me a brass hammer identical in the form to the original.... I don't want to cut the spring guide. Then he will build to me one like the one sold on ebay.

Unfortunately the coronavirus does not allow us to turn, so I will have to wait until May.

@Libellule1 

So the coronavirus issue is strong and more for you in Italy.

we are in preventive and mandatory quarantine but not so much to be alarmed but if it is punishable by law to leave at this time.

I took it to modify my rifle and shoot from home but the pieces have not arrived and I exhausted my air and tank.

I'll just have to wait, let me know when you can measure your VS to know what diameter the crown brings, if we got a wider stem we could put a wider VS but I can't get that piece.

Hi mtnGhost,

I have seen quite a few of your posts and some of your videos and have been quite impressed by the results you have achieved. I have a Crown Continuum in .25 with a slug barrel in the 700mm and I am trying to squeeze more out of it. I recently ordered a split port TP, 6.6mm VS, modified probe and hammer and when they arrive I will be installing them to see what kind of gains I might make. It will be interesting to see what kind of gains over my current tune I might get from simply installing those mods, and then to see where I can go from there.

Currently I am at 150 bar and putting out 60 FPE, Nothing huge and I am not even sure that this is a good tune at that pressure. I am fairly new to this!

I am in New Zealand and anything I order takes ages and nothing is available in country, so I do a lot of reading to see what others have done before I make a move.

Currently I shoot a lot of possums and rats and I am hoping to take the power up as high as possible so I can shoot some of the wild goats running around the property where I live. They, possums, rabbits and rats are all huge pests in NZ and I aim to take as many out as possible and the goat will become curry!

Would you have any idea how many FPE I should be able to squeeze out of a .25? I think I read that you have .22 and .30, right? 

I have also seen folks kicking around a power plenum for the Crown and I have chatted with a few people who have done it but as of yet no solid details. I am wondering if you have tried it? I am thinking that perhaps to go through the low pressure gauge would be the way to go. Just install a cylinder and put the gauge on the end of it, like the old Impact ones.

Thank you for sharing your info on the mods you have done. There is HEAPS out there for Impact, but not so much for the Crown. If I cannot boost my gun quite a bit I will consider getting a Dreamline with power plenum. Unfortunately Impacts are very hard to get here because the police think they look like an assault weapon, or at least this is what I have heard from those who tried.

Thanks again for sharing and keep up the good work!

Pat

@mtngosth, returning to the hammer, for your experience it is better, with the same weight, a long hammer with a short flange (for example 5 mm) or a shorter hammer, but with a higher flange (for example 10 mm). Continuing to study all your topics, I have seen that there are users who have hammers with short flange and users who have hammers with long flange.

A high flange preloads more the spring of the hammer ... is that correct? As for the weight, I don't want to open the valve beyond 165 bar, otherwise I get more power, but the number of shots that can be done with a full tank decrease, so I think that the right weight, in order not to stress the mechanical, may be about 10 grams .... Correct me if I wrote something wrong.

Thanks for all the answers you are giving to all users who ask you many questions.

What size is your Crown? What ammo do you use? How many Joules do you get at 165 bar with the heaviest domed or slug?

My Crown is .25 and I used JSB 34 grain

and managed to get around 88-89 joule

That is interesting because I am running 150 bar and getting around 82 Joules. Are you running any mods or a 700 mm barrel? I do not yet have any mods installed but am running 700 mm in my .25 Continuum.

What size is your Crown? What ammo do you use? How many Joules do you get at 165 bar with the heaviest domed or slug?

My Crown is .25 and I used JSB 34 grain

and managed to get around 88-89 joule

That is interesting because I am running 150 bar and getting around 82 Joules. Are you running any mods or a 700 mm barrel? I do not yet have any mods installed but am running 700 mm in my .25 Continuum.

Only mod I use for now is a hammer weight and 165bar on the regulator. My Crown has a 600mm barrel,the next mod is the Huma transfer port and a 6.35mm valve seat. I have also a couple of extra hammer weights 12.5g and 13g that I'm going to test out when I have the time.

I haven't got much time on tuning my Crown yet and I'm still waiting for my Huma transfer port and the 6.35mm vs

This brass is much heavier than 360.. I made a short weight for another member this evening, 6.3 grams 💪

1587011594_943722185e97e00ac66716.80557200.jpeg

Yes I do but I'm not sure if my gauge are measuring right or not and the only mode I've done for now is a 9.5 gram hammer weight. I haven't been able to test the shot count yet because of the bad weather we have had here in my hometown but next time I'm going to count the shots.

I have also ordered a Huma transfer port that I haven't got yet. I also have a couple of other hammer weight that I have not tested yet. A lot of bad weather and not so much time 😕

@runefalk, thanks for the reply.

One question ... is the spring that pushes your custom hammer the original one?

From what I read in the forum, I realized that I will have to get various hammers with different weights ... from 7 to 11 grams and do various tests and understand what is the weight that gives me the speed performance I am looking for. Unfortunately, Italy is now completely blocked by the virus, so it is impossible to have brass hammers built and on the web you can only buy the hammer sold on ebay, plus from the US seller .... 1 month to get it.