• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Power Plenum - Do I Need One or Hype?

I bought my .22 mk2 last summer before the PP and have considered installing one but from what I have seen in videos I don’t know if it is worth it. I have my reg at 150 shooting NSA 24.8 slugs at 900 fps for around 70 shots and I have no problem hitting starlings at 75 yards. I have seen guys mention in videos that they still have to crank their reg up to 150 to push slugs for around the same number of shots that I get. So is it worth it or is the power plenum just a way for us to buy something we don’t really need? Maybe if you are only going to shoot pellets it is advantageous. Just wondering while maintaining my social distancing. 

I don’t shoot slugs so I can’t really comment on that part of it. I did it so that I could run a lower reg pressure on my rifle. Plus it has some other internal upgrades for the valve that I wanted so I took advantage of the sale price they offered when it originally came out.

I would probably watch some videos on it and then determine if it would benefit you. 

As someone who has considered it, I think it is a valid question depending on your needs. If you are happy with the power and shots you are getting, then I would say it may not be worth upgrading. It sounds like you are happy. 

I have the 30, and while I'm happy with my power, I would love more shots. I have considered the upgrade simply for that reason. I for one have been looking at picking up a 22, and for me, I wouldn't mind if it didn't have the PP. I wouldn't necessarily need the extra power, and while the large shot count increase would be nice, anything better than the shot count on a 30 is a major upgrade!

I don't know how the 25.39 redesigned monsters compare to the slugs? I assume the slug will have more contact in the bore and be a bit slower. But for reference, and because I was board. I tuned for the monsters and had them at 925 at 115 bar. Never did a shot count. I don't know, but I don't see needing another 35 bar to push the slugs to 900. Bolt probe and brass inlet opened on mine.

I have the 600mm 0.22 mk2 and since I changed the c3 bumper to delrin I find it impossible to get the power down enough to shoot the 16gr the pellet liner favours with any efficiency and consistency. Even with the hammer spring tension at an absolute minimum it's blasting them along at ridiculous speeds. At low reg pressures it's almost certainly on the 'second peak' of the regulated velocity curve. At high pressures then I need to run it with an element of valve lock to get it down, and even with the valve adjuster it's not consistent.
So I'm currently stuck shooting the 25gr monsters out of the slug liner, admittedly with excellent consistency and accuracy. Problem is it's overkill for what I'm using it for, relatively air hungry and the pellets are much more expensive.

So long story short, I want the power plenum for its weaker hammer spring and apparent low power tunability without having everything go out of balance.

I bought my .22 mk2 last summer before the PP and have considered installing one but from what I have seen in videos I don’t know if it is worth it. I have my reg at 150 shooting NSA 24.8 slugs at 900 fps for around 70 shots and I have no problem hitting starlings at 75 yards. I have seen guys mention in videos that they still have to crank their reg up to 150 to push slugs for around the same number of shots that I get. So is it worth it or is the power plenum just a way for us to buy something we don’t really need? Maybe if you are only going to shoot pellets it is advantageous. Just wondering while maintaining my social distancing.

Yes, it is definitely worth it. I've upgraded my Impact X with the PP, and I love it.

My gun (22cal 700mm, admittedly with some other mods) now shoots monster redesigned at 285m/s (950fps) at only 100 bar regulator pressure.

It shoots so much smoother at this low pressure it's not even funny.

I've run mine at higher regulator pressures too, but around 150bar, the shot cycle is getting restless, and it is way less pleasant to shoot. 

I haven’t got the power plenum on my .25 Impact, but an alternative, after market external, unit along with some internal modifications. My reg is set at 115 bar and the rifle shoots 33.95 grain pellets at 930 FPS. My total plenum capacity is around 80cc’s as mine retains the original plenum along with the addition.

The hammer spring tension is very relaxed and the whole firing cycle much calmer. A larger plenum is a definite benefit. It’s not all about the power, but it’s there in spades if you want it. There’s a lot more going on at lower reg pressure than first meets the eye.

My friend in Serbia is achieving remarkable results with regard to accuracy with these modifications at .30 calibre.

That’s the exact question I asked myself a few weeks.

i got my Impact X in .30cal last year January, so no PP available.

but I get over 42shots out of mine with the .30cal JSB 44grains at 881fps at 125bar reg pressure.

if the hybrid slugs in .30 are out ive to try and then I think the question answered itself.

i hope it was to hard understand cause I’m no native englishspeaker.

That’s the exact question I asked myself a few weeks.

i got my Impact X in .30cal last year January, so no PP available.

but I get over 42shots out of mine with the .30cal JSB 44grains at 881fps at 125bar reg pressure.

if the hybrid slugs in .30 are out ive to try and then I think the question answered itself.

i hope it was to hard understand cause I’m no native englishspeaker.

Your English is 👍

Coincidentally, I tested my Impact X PP with my 700mm 30 cal barrel, and it is running 900fps at only 90 bar with 45gn jsb's

I'm really glad I did add the PP, now that I am used to it, I can't do without it anymore😊

Reactions: Patrick
Your English is
1f44d.svg

Coincidentally, I tested my Impact X PP with my 700mm 30 cal barrel, and it is running 900fps at only 90 bar with 45gn jsb's

I'm really glad I did add the PP, now that I am used to it, I can't do without it anymore
1f60a.svg

Thank you Bro. 😉

what?? 😳 Wooow thats some serious numbers!! How many shots did you get with one fill?

Hmm so maybe I order the PP..😂

Your English is
1f44d.svg

I'm really glad I did add the PP, now that I am used to it, I can't do without it anymore
1f60a.svg

Thank you Bro.
1f609.svg

what??
1f633.svg
 Wooow thats some serious numbers!! How many shots did you get with one fill?

Hmm so maybe I order the PP..
1f602.svg

I have to admit I made some other changes as well, but the PP rocks😎

My own valve housing has a 7mm valve hole, and I have moved the valve seat up to get more flow.

But also with the stock PP kit, the gains will be big. 

To be honest, I haven't checked the amount of shots per fill due to the Corona mess (everything is currently closed here😣)

When you buy the PP kit, you have the advantage to mix the old parts with the new. 

I use the rubber ball valve adjuster + a soft spring instead of the stiff valve spring without rubber ball. 

Your English is
1f44d.svg

1f60a.svg

Thank you Bro.
1f609.svg

what??
1f633.svg
 Wooow thats some serious numbers!! How many shots did you get with one fill?

Hmm so maybe I order the PP..
1f602.svg

I have to admit I made some other changes as well, but the PP rocks
1f60e.svg

My own valve housing has a 7mm valve hole, and I have moved the valve seat up to get more flow.

But also with the stock PP kit, the gains will be big. 

To be honest, I haven't checked the amount of shots per fill due to the Corona mess (everything is currently closed here
1f623.svg
)

When you buy the PP kit, you have the advantage to mix the old parts with the new. 

I use the rubber ball valve adjuster + a soft spring instead of the stiff valve spring without rubber ball.

Ive already saw your changes here on the forum, excellent work!!😉

dont worry about the shotcount, it’s a hard time now with the corona and it’s way better to stay health.

ive the advantage to shoot in my backyard, but the max range is about 85meters here.

ill sleep a night over it and maybe tomorrow I’ll order the PP-kit.😉