Tuning Power or manners?

You know Ron,

How about Accuracy?

IDK if I just got very good barrel ........... but my relatively, harsh shooting (19 FPE) HW80S in .20 caliber is my most accurate gun - period.
Yes, it's shot cycle is abrupt, .... but for whatever reason, this gun is easy to shoot accurately. Almost seems to be a major contradiction.

This gun is clumsy to cock (long standard barrel) relatively heavy and abrupt to shoot - but if my life depended on it -> My choice to win a shooting contest at any distance!

Do I shoot it the most? -> NO - I'll leave that to my HW50, HW35 or HW95's.

Do I need 19 FPE ........ I don't even hunt? -> No

Do I want to change it's tune to something less harsh? -> No - Accuracy is paramount and this gun is my reference Standard.

Last edited:
I had a similar experience with my R1k in .22. At anything close to 'normal R1 power levels', the gun was harsh and unpleasant to shoot. I tried tuning it from 12fpe up to 19fpe. Most importantly, from 13fpe to 15fpe, the R1k could not match the shot cycle and accuracy of my similarly powered hw97k.

In answer to your specific question, I punted entirely and just sold the gun. My theory, admittedly not scientifically proven by any stretch, is that the bigger 30mm compression chamber results in a suboptimal shot cycle versus the smaller 26mm models (hw95/hw97k). The physics of that big piston just create unfavorable side-effects.

R

Reactions: ChuckHunter
I'm a big fan of the 95 family guns. I have a
177 Hw95 ~ 14.5 fpe
20 R9 and HW98 both ~ 16 fpe
22 HW95 Field Pro ~ 16 fpe.

Even at the upper ranges of power I enjoy shooting all of them. I find them to be almost the perfect blend of power, size and weight. They're all accurate enough for me. The 177 is the most accurate break barrel I own.

I find the R1s additional hold sensitivity, weight and length not worth the additional two to three fpe at full power. They're not a bad gun I just like the 95s better. I only bought the R1 because I liked the history of it and wanted all that power it's known for. Without that power I'd rather shoot my 95s. My 22 cal 95 is tame as my R1 at only 30fps less.
Exactly right!
I've owned several R1/HW80s through the years and eventually every one went by the way side. The best out them all was a HW80k in .22! The carbine barrel made it balanced better but still not what I was looking for in an enjoyable shooting springer.
The only magnum I have left is a Venom Tomahawk in .22 that's doing 20fpe but the big difference here is that you would not even believe it's producing that kind of power by the shot cycle. Webley nailed it in that respect!

I'll go with manners. What fun is it to spend time with a gal if she chews with her mouth open, passes gas constantly and smacks you in the jaw every time you don't laugh at her jokes?

The Quest 1000(!) was much like that. Bean-o, a soft-bedding job and some bearing grease calmed her down enough to be tolerable. It cost us 100-fps, but at least she's a cheap date...

Cheers,

J~

For me, it depends on the gun and what I want to achieve with it. I'll give up power for accuracy with a TX200 or HW97. For an all around hunter, plinker, target shooter I want a balance. My HW95 does around 16 fpe and that seems perfect. It doesn't need to be quite as sedate as my TX, but it definitely should be accurate. For a sledgehammer/plinker I just want power. My Hatsan 135 puts out around 30 fpe and I plan on jacking up the gas ram in it to get that up to 36 or higher. I'm not planning on hunting with it though. For that I have PCP's. I like the supermagnum springers simply for the recoil and impact. They're just fun to shoot.

Reactions: maxtrouble
You know Ron,

How about Accuracy?

IDK if I just got very good barrel ........... but my relatively, harsh shooting (19 FPE) HW80S in .20 caliber is my most accurate gun - period.
Yes, it's shot cycle is abrupt, .... but for whatever reason, this gun is easy to shoot accurately. Almost seems to be a major contradiction.

This gun is clumsy to cock (long standard barrel) relatively heavy and abrupt to shoot - but if my life depended on it -> My choice to win a shooting contest at any distance!

Do I shoot it the most? -> NO - I'll leave that to my HW50, HW35 or HW95's.

Do I need 19 FPE ........ I don't even hunt? -> No

Do I want to change it's tune to something less harsh? -> No - Accuracy is paramount and this gun is my reference Standard.
Sounds like all the Gods smiled on that rifle. That's what I wanted.

I had a similar experience with my R1k in .22. At anything close to 'normal R1 power levels', the gun was harsh and unpleasant to shoot. I tried tuning it from 12fpe up to 19fpe. Most importantly, from 13fpe to 15fpe, the R1k could not match the shot cycle and accuracy of my similarly powered hw97k.

In answer to your specific question, I punted entirely and just sold the gun. My theory, admittedly not scientifically proven by any stretch, is that the bigger 30mm compression chamber results in a suboptimal shot cycle versus the smaller 26mm models (hw95/hw97k). The physics of that big piston just create unfavorable side-effects.

R
I tend to agree.

This may be redundant given the posts so far.

My .22's seem very happy in the 16 to 17 fpe range for max power and great accuracy. Around 12 fpe they are even happier, but too, too loopy for much beyond 20 to 25 yds.

My 95 and FWB sport live in the 13.5 to 14 fpe range, and are also quite contentedly accurate out to 30 to 35 yds, with little effort, hold over/under, or angst.

I see a trend.....

If you CAN'T ENJOY it .. whats the point in owning or using it ? :unsure:
Yeah Motorhead, well enjoying it .... is complicated.
In my 12 yards crawl space, manners win out, but when I have 25-80 yards camping -> Nothing puts a smile on my face more than the HW80.
I shoot it all day long ...... because it never fails to perform:).

I don't take the PCP's camping as they could get all grimed up.....

would you dumb down a monster to tame it so you can enjoy it or do you keep pushing it for power to the point you won't enjoy it?
It is so very subjective, both between shooters and within a shooter. After shooting a PCP, ANY springer feels harsh and abrupt and jumpy in comparison, even to a sworn springer guy like me. A New Normal is always lurking behind the corner, such is the bane of the modern age.

For a guy fully adapted to highly-tuned, low- to moderate power springers, a magnum springer will likely always feel unenjoyable to shoot. But to a magnum springer guy, the parameters are completely different. That guy goes whistling into the woods with a heavy-recoil, high-mass, high fpe gun that may well be in factory trim (gasp). It's his Normal, and works exactly as expected, taking bigger small game at long ranges, time and time again.

FWIW, among my present projects is a 1987 HW80 that I'm testing out for power with various setups. One can always look for inspiration at the Venom Arms LazaGlide HW80's that shot 23 - 25 fpe @ .22 cal, with excellent accuracy out to 65 yards, while feeling like a 10 fpe gun, with no recoil or vibration.

Realistically, with the tools, skills and parts that I have, I'd be happy to end up with the 20 fpe.