• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Power FX Wildcat MK3 too low ?

I have a 25 mk3 700mm sniper edition. I can get fx slugs going 975-80 and nsa 26.8 grain slugs going 950-55 with about 140-145 bar reg pressure and hammer spring tuned pretty far. Not sure spring is all the way up yet. So that's getting me about 53-55 ft lbs in 25. Stock gun. I tuned it myself and it was pretty easy to do. Laser beam fast and very accurate to 100 yards.

At this early stage the only questionable piece on the rifle is the performance of the regulator. It seems to creep from time to time. It fills sufficiently quick though.

If I was in your situation I'd probably first replace the air guage for the regulator. That Huma version has finer readings. Maybe it's off? It can't hurt to get a finer tune as well. I have one on deck already.

guage.1616978288.jpg

after having read your comments I had my WC .22 MK3 compact checked for any leakage but there was no leakage found. Meanwhile I have installed a power plenum and a dual transfer port in order to be able to reach the advertised power of 55 joules (40 fp) . It might be my particular rifle but without mentioned after market parts I would no way have been able to achieve advertised power. I hope you guys have bought Wildcats within specs out of the box. Maybe things have changed since the first batch I received mine from.

stay healthy and shoot with fun !!

O.K., just for giggles (and because I hadn't worked much with this gun since I bought it), I did some light tuning with it this morning. Shot JSB 18.13's through it for the first time. Was making 32 FPE as I had received it. Easily got it up to 34 FPE just working with hammer spring adjuster screw. Recall that my regulator was received by me set at ~125 bar. After any hammer spring adjustment the hammer spring wheel was returned to setting #7 unless otherwise specified in the chart below.

What did I find out?

1) My gun was received in a pretty poor state of tune, based on power and consistency;

2) Just playing with the hammer spring fine tune got me a little more power, and much better consistency.

3) Gun really sucks the air now, giving me just over 2 good magazines (~40 shots) per fill.

4) Now need to start some accuracy testing with the 18.13's on HS=6.

I then recalled that manufacturers normally use the heaviest 'normal' pellet and longest barrel to test their gun's performance. Not the case with barrel length here, as FX actually gives numbers specific to the Compact model of the WC3. But what about pellet weight? Decided to try some JSB 25.39's, and power (keeping the same 'best' tune reached for the 18.1's) suddenly jumped from 34 FPE to 37 FPE. And with further tuning and upping the reg, maybe I could get that power up further towards the FX specified 40 FPE??? Not going there though since I really don't need max power in this gun.

(EDIT: 5 of the 9 values I saw chrono'ing the 25.39's at HS=7 were the highest velocity seen for that pellet - 817 fps. So if only using the 5 highest values, an argument could be made that the gun is already shooting at 38 FPE, and getting pretty darned close to the FX specification.)

Anyway, here are the numbers I recorded this morning. Groups were 9 shots each so I could get 2 groups per mag. Pellets were un-weighed, unsorted. Chrono is the FX pocket wireless chronograph. Ambient temperatures were in the 65 deg F range. I normally don't fill my guns to max pressure especially for chrono work, so starting gun pressures were ~230-235 bar. Regulator at ~125 bar. I found this to be some fun and interesting stuff!

WC3 Tune Chart.1616954743.jpg

P.S.: I don't know whether this makes any difference one way or another, but my gun tested above wears the Huggett shroud instead of the OEM FX shroud.

IMG_1527.1616955452.JPG

thats pretty interesting info.. but with the increase in hammer spring it seems fps stays roughly the same but es straightens out with a good hard wack on the valve as observed on line 7. how is that tuning on a bell curve??!