Powder Coating

Reedmosser convinced me to try this so for the past 2 weeks I collected a toaster oven and powder coat. Took the Bushbuck to the range today and was very satisfied with these. Super slippery, accuracy same as bare lead and a clean barrel when you get home.

20230201_180319.jpg

Just playing devil's advocate here, but have you looked through your barrel since shooting these powder coated projectiles?

I have powder coated thousands of parts over the years and in Most cases, you are adding substantial thickness to the parts. (usually about 3 mils. is standard)

So I see a couple possible issues here:
1) Over-sized ( a little is a mile when it comes to projectiles' in a barrel )
2) i would be wary of "fouling" the barrel, as well as possible damage to the barrel..

Maybe i'm wrong, i have been a few times in my life...Lol

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Powdercoat.slugs than size. It doesn't build up any diameter difference. I tried to double powder coat slugs that were t small in diameter. Doesn't help its real thin.. No its not abrasives. Powder coating is good enough that federal loaded pistol bullets with it. Hi tech is just liquid powder coat. Competition pistol shooters been using for years. Powder coated slugs with a oil lube i use silicone oil is super slippery.. If you do not want more lead exposure powder coated slugs do that. Powder coat slugs info check out Elvis ammo YouTube. They are powder coated slugs in 5.56 in a 9 twist at 2500 fps with good results. In our super slow twist airgun s with low velocity powder coat helps everything a little bit. Also when shooting with night vision scopes the bullet trace is seen when IR light bounces off shinny powder coat slugs. Cool😁

I.have no experience with pellets. Yes you could shake and bake powder coat them. I would imagine you would need to be careful not to damage skirts. I see a few people doing pellets and NSA slugs. You have to use some alcohol or paaint thinner to remove oil from pellets or slugs before powder coating. Castboolits.com can answer any powder coating or casting swaging questions. The amount of amazing info on the site is impressive. Its helped me out alot.

• Love
Just playing devil's advocate here, but have you looked through your barrel since shooting these powder coated projectiles?

I have powder coated thousands of parts over the years and in Most cases, you are adding substantial thickness to the parts. (usually about 3 mils. is standard)

2) i would be wary of "fouling" the barrel, as well as possible damage to the barrel..

The shake and bake method we use to create static and make the powder stick adds minimum thickness. Like Reed said, I have sizing dies too. I've cast, coated and shot tens of thousands of bullets, slugs, and pellets will no issues so far. When I comes to airgun projectiles, I only use pure soft lead as well. I can tell you that I've pushed powered coated bullets over 2000 fps and found the coating intact when I recovered them. This is a HP coated in Eastwood squirrel gray without a gas check.
17195.jpeg

Leading can happen with any barrel, so being able to mitigate that is always worthy of a trial. I powder-coat bullets as well for my muzzleloaders and have shot about a dozen powder-coated bullets through my airgun (9mm). So far so good, but I'm shooting at really reduced velocities too, so the upper levels I can't speak to as to holding together. Powder coating IN MY OPINION benefits the experience. I'm going to try powdercoating pellets as one did here to see how it goes. Do I expect any ballistic benefit, no, but that doesn't mean that there won't be something to gain along the way to the target. I say go for it if for no other reason than to say you did. :D