• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Powder coating pellets

Hay I have thought like you. I have ordered a Texan in .357 and I'm going to coat some for it. I coat my 9mm that I cast and it works grate. Now on that note when you coat pletts it will make them larger. I run my 9MMS through a sizing die after I coat them to bring them to the correct size. I'm also concerned about build up in between the head of the pellet and the skirt and at the rear of the pellet. I don't think it will hurt barrel but I don't know. 

Yes tour right. I wonder if coated then ran through a sizer. 

my other idea is to try coating pb projectiles. I have a lee mold in 55gr .22 and. .30 not sure on my lightest mold weight but the killer with using regular bullet molds with air guns is friction and a properly coated lead bullet can be sized or even fired and fully mushroomed and retain the coating so my thoughts are to reduce friction on pb projectiles and see what i can do with them.

i have a fx impact x mk2 with a superior liner and i understand there is a superior heavy liner as well. But these are in .30 i want to try the fx liners with the .22 first but the only .22 i have is a hatsan Hercules bully im trying to sale/trade into a complete .22 setup for the fx but i think it should serve to test the .22 lee mold. Anyway. 

Yeah i thought of making my own mold or a set of dies for my Richard Corbin press and swage them, but i would love to find a way to allow unaltered pb bullets (standard molds) a good chance. They are perfect for stabilizing but need to be pushed fast 1000+. The .22 55 gr if i remember would need to be running 1100 or better with pb rifling to be good. I was thinking to drill out the base to lighten them. 

i just cant get by the fact that pb bullets have all the work done already as far as bc and i think modern pcp are if not now at lease close to achieving speeds to stabilize them. Look at muzzle loaders the speeds are slow but you can get really good accuracies at long range with them. Some sabots have a polymer or plastic belt like the power-belts and others are in sleeves that grip rifling and sabot allowing for less friction (more speed) down the barrel like the hornady sst sabots.

but yes i think your idea of trimming the mold would make a easy alternative to noe molds. 

i have the 46gr diabolo and a .30 cal now mold i will be testing as well later on. 

Noe has them. They have just about everything. Lots of pellet and slug molds. In brass and aluminum. 

my diabolo .22 mold is 4 ct brass. Makes great pellets i have 4 different skirt insert profiles that will adjust the weight. The slug mold is the solid. Bt spire point but kinda flat due to the spur plate. The only thing i got against the brass one is it gets heavy by the 100 cycle. 

i called them and they are great to talk to. Lots of advice and will give you a projected in stock date on anything showing out. I think address is noebulletmolds.com or something close to that. If the slug mold works out ill likely get a hollopoint or another solid but in heaviest weight and machine my own probes to adjust base and or point and therefore weight and call it a day. 

p. S. Ive looked at the new fx hybrids and they look like they would be easy to duplicate. The trick would be the pin to create the hollow when casting the slug straight walled then a simple swage die to drift the tip into point.