• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Powder Coating 101 (picture HEAVY)

Trinity,

Great thread. The softer a airgun slug the better, regardless of the caliber. I do add 1% tin ,but that is just makes them fill better.

Now my question, my 257-283 made to drop at .252 for my Seneca .2515 barrel, so I don’t need more girth, do I need 4 coats? Will one coat work for preventing leading?

Thanks, 

Roachcreek

The answer to this question is YES. 1 coat will suffice. That's all I use on the .254 slugs I get from AVS. I just want the lubricity to prevent barrel fouling. The coat will be very thin. You might even see what appears to be uncoated lead showing through. But this is not the case. Even the lead in those areas has a micron thin layer of coating. If 4 coats gets to .0015 of thickness (for an increased diameter of .003"), then one coat is only .000375" thick, for an increase in overall diameter of .00075". That's 75 ten-thousandths of an inch. to put that into tangible reference, the average thickness of a human hair is .004" thick. So 1 coat is about 1/10th the thickness of a human hair. Needless to say, 1 coat will add a negligible amount of girth to your slug. But as thin as it is, it will still have full adherence to the slug when cured. 

Try Smokes powder in a plastic container and hand tumble them,,