Powder burner bullets

I’d be leary to use fire arm slugs since they are a harder blend of antimony and lead to withstand the extreme pressures of a powder actuated cartridge and might not make as good a seal as pure lead.
Also incremental variation in caliber size is not great or generally allowed within specific calibers for fire arms so getting good bore contact could be difficult.
I could see using muzzle loader slugs in big bores because they’re usually pure lead.
Be interesting to see how a 50 cal plastic skirted slug would work such as a Power Belt.

I’d be leary to use fire arm slugs since they are a harder blend of antimony and lead to withstand the extreme pressures of a powder actuated cartridge and might not make as good a seal as pure lead.
Also incremental variation in caliber size is not great or generally allowed within specific calibers for fire arms so getting good bore contact could be difficult.
I could see using muzzle loader slugs in big bores because they’re usually pure lead.
Be interesting to see how a 50 cal plastic skirted slug would work such as a Power Belt.
@Mr303 Interesting take on this idea in the linked thread. https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/hard-slugs-and-pellets.1302003/

But I haven’t read about your point concerning the seal. Die there need to be a complete seal once the lands have sufficiently engaged the projectile? In this context it would be nice to know how to define “sufficient” engagement of the lands and grooves when shooting harder bullets from and Airgun. Does it constitute a close to complete seal like pellet skirts or should airgunner a be more concerned with pairing the appropriate diameter bullets to their barrels that will engage the lands and grooves?

@Mr303 Interesting take on this idea in the linked thread. https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/hard-slugs-and-pellets.1302003/

But I haven’t read about your point concerning the seal. Die there need to be a complete seal once the lands have sufficiently engaged the projectile? In this context it would be nice to know how to define “sufficient” engagement of the lands and grooves when shooting harder bullets from and Airgun. Does it constitute a close to complete seal like pellet skirts or should airgunner a be more concerned with pairing the appropriate diameter bullets to their barrels that will engage the lands and grooves?
I’m just thinking about the physical difference of the two materials that I know of and have seen in my experience,I have no factual evidence backing up my point of view to be honest. That’s an interesting link too. One point I believe that’s made in error is the burning powder harming the barrel. On my long range Howa it’s recommended rebarreling at 4000 rounds due to copper jacketed bullets wearing down the rifling. At distances beyond 500 yds the accuracy drops off. I‘m not a good enough long range shooter to judge how much that inaccuracy may be.. I will say this I have well over 6000 rounds thru the gun and it’s as accurate now as it ever has been. And I bought it used so there is no telling how many rounds have been shot down that barrel before I got it.

Last edited: