• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Powder burner bore snake , aye or nay

Hi , I bet this has been covered but just thought I would ask, can you use powder burner bore snake on air guns ? Tia

@pepper Grab a patchworm kit, a bottle of Ballistol, some extra 1” cotton patches, and be done with it. They’re about $20 (at least they were last time I looked). http://www.patchworm.com/patchworm.html If you’re a handy type you can probably make your own pull-through system. I recommend using separate kits for PBs and airguns. My largest concerns, founded or unfounded, would be introducing carbon deposits, copper bits, and solvent residue into an airgun barrel.

Yes, Patchworm, Ballistol and cotton patches just as Ezana4CE and others suggest for your airguns.

I will say that after trying both I actually prefer the Napier (AoA) or AirMarksman (UA) pull-thru cleaners with handles in actual barrel cleaning use. Also using Ballistol & cotton patches. Just a bit more money up front, but since it sounds like you may just be starting out putting together your airgun cleaning kit I think that it is the best way to start. Will last a good long time in regular use.

In my opinion it all depends on the barrel. If you have a barrel with an internal o-ring (like most FX barrels, which have an internal o-ring just before the transfer port) then do NOT use a bore snake that has copper bristles as these will damage the o-ring. The copper bristles will not damage any kind of steel barrel, plus the fact that the bristles are around a woven cloth/polyester tube means that it will not impart any significant force to the inside of the barrel. This is the opposite of using a cleaning kit with brass bristles on stell or other metal base. I have used Bore Snakes many times on my Edgun Leshiy 2 with great results.

However Ezana4CE makes a good point above regarding dual use of bore snakes for firearms and airguns, namely the residues from the cleaning. I only use dedicated or recently washed Bore Snakes on my airguns. Generally I use a PatchWorm kit.

Chris

I just pick a spot in the weave near the bristles and push the weaving aside to get a set of pliers on the stem of the brush and start pulling the weavingdown and inside out as i pull the brush out...

20220306_163307.1647882419.jpg

Brush out...

20220306_163226.1647882619.jpg

And 

It just looks like a sock partially inside out.. 

20220306_163406.1647882708.jpg

Then just pull the ends of the bore snake on each side of the part inside out and ..

20220306_163422.1647882795.jpg

It's normal again!

Probably could have put a nylon brush in place of the brass but this still works great! 

Allen

Reactions: Muchacho
Hi , I bet this has been covered but just thought I would ask, can you use powder burner bore snake on air guns ? Tia

@pepper Grab a patchworm kit, a bottle of Ballistol, some extra 1” cotton patches, and be done with it. They’re about $20 (at least they were last time I looked). http://www.patchworm.com/patchworm.html If you’re a handy type you can probably make your own pull-through system. I recommend using separate kits for PBs and airguns. My largest concerns, founded or unfounded, would be introducing carbon deposits, copper bits, and solvent residue into an airgun barrel.

I tried to order a couple after reading this thread and every single thing is sold out as far as the field kits go :(

Oh I can't use it on all my stuff for example the uragan won't allow the weight through the breach area with the barrel installed. I used the Napier in those cases. 

This is where I got the bore snake style on Amazon recently for my impact. And yes on the impact I tend to pull the barrel since it is so easy to do. 

HUNTSEN Gun Snakes Cleaner for Rifle Cleaning Gun Snake Brushes for Pistol Shotgun 5.56mm/9mm/7.62mm/10/12/16/20 GA/.44 Cal.45 Cal/.375.35 Cal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081SFC63K/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_QE05PVVBSSQN0F8C4A0Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Allen

It won't hurt the barrel, but why use it? A pull through with a patch is all that is needed in almost every case. If you have lead fouling that isn't coming out with a pull through, I think you're better off removing the barrel and cleaning it properly with a rod, from the breech. With all the popularity now with HP rifles and slugs, I expect more barrels may need a deeper cleaning.