Post's in "chrony-logical" order???

Maybe I missed something along the way,.... but how does a post that is 4 hours old show up (on top) of a post that is 23 minutes old???,.... or,.. any variation thereof.

GTA site is down to the second with the most recent post time on top,.. always.

Just trying to figure this out,.... thanks.

Chris

It’s a little confusing. The “chrony-logical order” sorts by the order of THREAD creation. As far as I’m aware, there is no way to list REPLIES in chronological order. I wish there was.

Maybe it’s something @michael would consider adding in the future. It would really make it easier to keep up with conversations without needing to subscribe to every topic.

Maybe I missed something along the way,.... but how does a post that is 4 hours old show up (on top) of a post that is 23 minutes old???,.... or,.. any variation thereof.

Chris

Ya thats screwy for sure. Always wondered about it. Admin must have their reasons id assume.

But, all the other forums I'm a member of use chronological order of each post so the newest stays on top. Makes it much easier to find current threads you might have posted in without a subscription and constant emails...

The PA blog site went through some recent changes. For one,... before you could not edit a post. Now,... you have 30 minutes to do so. As it turned out,.. the edit feature (was there all along) and just had to be "turned on". So yes,... may the IT team needs to have another look-see at site configuration.

Trust me,.. I am about as far from a IT expert as anyone can be. Heck,... I am lucky to find my way back HERE everyday! ;)

Chris

@Maineiac is correct that sorting is done on thread creation time, but that is only true in the "All Topics" forum. If you go and look in the "General Discussion" forum where you created your thread (or any of the other forums for that matter) you will see any time there is a new reply that subject goes back to the top.

I'm sure the reason that doesn't happen in "All Topics" is so you can quickly look through all the new stuff without having to sift through all the old stuff from weeks ago just because it got a new reply.

I think it makes sense.

Chip

Chip, so you're saying 'ALL TOPICS' button is not the same as the 'VIEW NEW CONTENT' button on most other forums...

1592885124_4853448245ef17f84e72cb7.94489090.jpg

Chris

Morning Chris

The "All Topics" section is the only place where topics are shown in the order they were created (adding a reply to that topic will not bump it to the top). 

The topics in every other forum are arranged by order of activity (adding a reply will bump an existing topic back to the top).

-Michael

Chris

@Maineiac is correct that sorting is done on thread creation time, but that is only true in the "All Topics" forum. If you go and look in the "General Discussion" forum where you created your thread (or any of the other forums for that matter) you will see any time there is a new reply that subject goes back to the top.

I'm sure the reason that doesn't happen in "All Topics" is so you can quickly look through all the new stuff without having to sift through all the old stuff from weeks ago just because it got a new reply.

I think it makes sense.

Chip

Precisely

Not listing all new replies in order is the worst part of this software. It forces me to open each subforum, and in turn, miss a lot of new content. Jump to first new post in a thread would be greatly appreciated, also.

Thanks for the recommendation. 

Currently all of the forums (except All Topics which are already in chronological order) are sorted by recent activity (not originating date). Additionally you can click on the latest timestamp to be brought to the most recent reply.

1592926922_18902910255ef222caa96d16.08121870.png

Perhaps the simplest solution would be when you click on the topic it takes you to the first new post in a topic since your last visit

Does that sound like what you're looking for?

Perhaps the simplest solution would be when you click on the topic it takes you to the first new post in a topic since your last visit

I Like the way that sounds! Can that be done Michael?

Chip

Just about anything can be done with enough time, money, effort, or knowledge. 😆 I'll see what I can do!

Chris

I think it makes sense.

Chip

Precisely

OMG I wish I knew this before..
I've 'lost' hundreds of replies / threads do the fact that I just give up trying to sift through topics page after page after page.. 
It's Great to learn that there is in fact a quicker way!
Thanks for the heads up guys!

👍👍 

Sam -

Not listing all new replies in order is the worst part of this software. It forces me to open each subforum, and in turn, miss a lot of new content. Jump to first new post in a thread would be greatly appreciated, also.

Thanks for the recommendation. 

Currently all of the forums (except All Topics which are already in chronological order) are sorted by recent activity (not originating date). Additionally you can click on the latest timestamp to be brought to the most recent reply.

1592926922_18902910255ef222caa96d16.08121870.png

Perhaps the simplest solution would be when you click on the topic it takes you to the first new post in a topic since your last visit

That is helpful, thank you. In most forum software, the New Posts button brings up threads with new posts, in the order they were updated. There is an icon that takes you to newest post. This way I can see every thread with a new post, in the order it was posted, on the entire forum. Right now, I have to open PCPs and check for new posts, then open Optics and check etc. 

1592959844_19297013355ef2a3644b4927.42608400.jpg