Possibly moving to North Carolina... tell me everything

We're full. So full that the wildlife is moving into the cities (thanks to all the new rural construction).

If you're going to come here and vote yourself into being there again, please don't (because you'll be taking us there with you).

And we don't have In-N-Out. What area are looking to go to?

Born here, lived there, but not anymore. They've ruined it.

Peace,

J~

Where you moving to,city. I was born and raised in N.C. It’s quiet there and I go home to relax. Im 40 miles from the ocean ‘The Crystal Coast”, 90 miles down east of Raleigh, 3-4 hrs from the mountains. The Blue Ridge Mountains are outstanding. Hope you have a great move there.. If I had to guess,I’d say you are moving to ”The Queen City” Charlotte. Or Research Triangle Area”. But beware what “Bless Your Heart” means!😂

We're full. So full that the wildlife is moving into the cities (thanks to all the new rural construction).

If you're going to come here and vote yourself into being there again, please don't (because you'll be taking us there with you).

And we don't have In-N-Out. What area are looking to go to?

Born here, lived there, but not anymore. They've ruined it.

Peace,

J~
Boy, that’s some warm welcome, but about what I expect from “southern hospitality”.

Hey all, I'm looking to moving to North Carolina in the next year and just wanted to know if anyone lives there, how ya'll like it and just anything and everything in between. Doesn't have to be airgun related, but that is at the top of the list. If this is in the wrong place please move.
I absolutely love it . You would need to be more specific in the area or region in which you are moving to get a more informative and accurate answer the state has night and day/vastly different life styles through out of course LOL.

Reactions: Deerstalker
Boy, that’s some warm welcome, but about what I expect from “southern hospitality”.
I expected a few responses like this but all taken in jest. I’m looking outside of Raleigh such as Cary or holly springs, vass, Carthage. Not sure where would be best. I’d miss in n out but don’t care for Tommy’s anyway. I don’t like the politics here in Ca but that’s not my main reason for wanting to move.

I expected a few responses like this but all taken in jest. I’m looking outside of Raleigh such as Cary or holly springs, vass, Carthage. Not sure where would be best. I’d miss in n out but don’t care for Tommy’s anyway. I don’t like the politics here in Ca but that’s not my main reason for wanting to move.

That's a good area for economic refugees. Yeah... I was ragging on you. Spent over three decades in Socal and have a few friends that have moved here.

Advice? When someone looks you in the eye and nods, do the same. Get used to people being nice, it's expected. Clerks will call you Honey. It can be unsettling.

The popo here don't sit on you like they do out there and traffic is much better. Let people in because they'll do the same for you. You may get some hate if you don't. Don't be pushy, as we kinda regulate each other so the police don't have to.

Try the biscuits at a hole-in-the wall restaurant as they're better there. Offer respect and you'll get the same. Don't and you won't.

The DMV here isn't the seventh hell. Smog regs aren't as heavy either. Insurance is much cheaper. So is gas. You get liquor at the ABC store, wine and beer at the supermarkets and convenience stores. Good Mexican food can be hard to find. Go to the swap meet and ask a Mexican where they eat. I did with great success. I prefer In-N-Out too.

Luck,

J~

^ That. Our BBQ is the best. (Vinegar, not sweet.) "All The Way" is the way to go with hot dogs.

Also...

You'll occasionally see a handgun on someone's hip. It's legal, so don't freak out. We also issue concealed carry permits. It's not at all uncommon for our goblins to FAFO. We prefer it that way. You'll see a lot more pickup trucks. Many with trailers because we use them as trucks with trailers.

The vegetables here are amazing at the end of growing season. Buy some from a roadside stand. You'll agree.

Don't dis grits. They're a staple here. Have been since before the country's founding. Try the livermush. You may be surprised.

If you slap some mustard on your burger before putting it on the grill, it tastes like In-N-Out. Your welcome.

Do a search for news stations in that area and you'll see some of what's going on. I still check out KTLA for laughs.

J~

Reactions: airprsr
I am happiest in the farmlands in-between the mountains and in the mountains lol. I avoid cities like the plague . I like hospitality , friendly , and generally kind people. I respect my neighbors and others and I get the same in return . I respect people who are honest even if I find them a lil brash at times. You know what you have to work with without them being fake lol. I can respect that . I can easily agree to disagree and have no hard feelings and enjoy seeing others prosper as much or even more than myself haha. Everything isn't about me LOL.

I will always chose rural communities , farming and mountain top solitude in all cases until death haha. I love the outdoors and big smiles. JMHO

Oh one more thing I would add due to the massive influx of people forget the old ways and just be friendly enough , never rude . You want people to breathe easy or smile when they see you coming but not overly welcoming as you are playing with fire with all of the newer transplants haha. Give them time and take it easy to get to know them. do not be to open nowadays . haha Sad to say but I was too kind for a brief time in my life and it taught me some good lessons to remember haha. Yes I am old lol.

Reactions: Treefrog
All treefrog's responses are straight on (except the livermush but that is okay just go with the cornmush) as all the old timers will be. Raleigh , cant even imagine what that must be these day's. Believe what he say's.
Again no idea of the Big City(s) but airguns are certainly legal (LOL) and there are 4 (FOUR) Field Target clubs. GO to them all!
https://www.aafta.org/member-clubs.html

John

I don't and have never lived in NC. I've lived in SC now for over 20 years and my son and his family live in Rock Hill just south of Charlotte. I visit NC including a "fall mountain run" with the BMWCCA.

I think NC is the transition between the DC area and the South. Politics can go either way but the Republicans have a razor thin margin right now in the state houses but the Democrat governor likes to veto things and then gets over ridden. It is not a strong Democrat state like CA but it isn't strongly Republican either. Like SC, the beach and mountains are easily within a days drive from any place in the state and often can be visited in a day trip. Plants are more like northern CA than southern. Much more populated than SC. I am not a fan of vinegar bbq but it's better than the mustard based around here. Real bbq has a spicy red sauce and pulled pork is just one of many meats to apply it to. Income levels are higher in NC than SC but probably lower than CA. But then house prices are higher too.

The Raleigh area is too close to Virginia and it's DC area politics for me. It's a pretty area with winters but mild ones. By the time you get to Charlotte it's more like where I live and snow is only present every few years and disappears quickly. Winter is just the non-air conditioning period. It gets down to freezing every winter but not much below that. Summers are not pleasant. But early and late in the day it's usually reasonable temperature wise.

I used to have a customer I visited several times a year in Wilmington, NC. The area east of I-95 is much less traveled and built up. Wilmington is on the ocean. The Atlantic gets to about bath tub temperature in the summer. I'd rather live there than the Raleigh area.

Don't forget the bugs. You want bugs? We got 'em! Lightning bug (firefly) season is here. It's cool to see them streak by on your motorcycle.

Later in the summer, the insects are loud enough to keep you awake at night if you're not used to them. Visitors from Ca sometimes have trouble sleeping. I hand them some earplugs.

You have to clean you're face shield daily if you ride a mototcycle any distance here. It took three weeks out west before that was necessary. If you leave your shield up, expect to take a few to the face. I did ride through a few bee swarms out there, though.

And Humidity! We got it! Along with the heat of summer. The two together make AC mandatory down in the piedmont and flatlands.

We also have poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac. Along with ticks and chiggers. You usually become aquainted with those while picking wild blackberries or raspberries for cobbler.

Shades of green? A friend from out there (in Ca) said that he'd never seen so many shades of green in his life. And he spent his childhood in England.

We also have plenty of black bears, deer, possums, skunks, racoons, groundhogs and coyotes.

Then there's the summer rain. Thunderstorms in the afternoon are normal this time of year. It rains harder down-state. Enough to make you want to pull over and wait it out.

And beauty, yes we have a lot of that here. The mountains of SoCal are piles of dirt and rocks with weeds on them in comparison to the mountains here. (The ones we haven't built on yet, that is.)

Cheers,

J~

Reactions: fatmatic