• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Possible airguns for slug

I'm shooting slugs at over 60FPE in .22 with may Kral PB that is super accurate!!! anyone else doing that at $700??

1582594728_21033060215e547aa808fcf1.29611382_IMG_5665.jpg

With the bullpup vs rifle thing it does not really mater to me the style its more of the performance thing with me and backstops are usually not to much of a concern with where I hunt. Also the reason I am concerned with slugs is the way they expand which allows for better performance and knock down power. The hades pellets do that in a great way but dump too much energy before they reach the target at long ranges.

One thing you have not mentioned is what critter you are intending to hunt or shoot and the shot count you want or need per fill. If you will need that higher shot count then that will help determine if your gun needs to have a bottle unless it will be easy to do refills in the field. As far as caliber goes for me lately shooting pigeons and small game the .25 cal. just punches a bigger hole in the critter for better take down results. As far as expansion goes only the pellets with large hollow points will give expansion but they are horrible for long range power and accuracy. The Hades seems to do well at dumping their energy better on critters but don't expand that much and aren't good say much over 75 yards. In my testing with slugs most show very little expansion on birds and small critters unless you hit a substantial bone. The exception is the FX Hybrids and the new Griffin LDC slugs with the poly ball insert to aid in expansion. As far as style of gun bull pup or rifle depends partly the environment you hunt. Is it open where the length of a rifle would not matter or in the woods where a short bull pup would be easy to maneuver. In the end your needs will go a long ways to determine your choice. Bill

The animals I plan to hunt is pretty much everything. Starlings pigeons ( if I can find a place with them) rabbits squirrels possibly raccoons. And occasional rat. Which with slugs is pretty much overkill with most of these animals except with raccoons in which a pellet would probably be a bit better due to penetration. Also I hunt open fields and woods so a bullpup would probably be a bit better but in alot of my cases I like to shoot prone. I'm not very good shooting off handed.

So 100+ yards but open field and woods?

I'd stick to a gun that serves the majority of your shooting. Starlings and pigeons don't take much energy to kill. Raccoons are a different level of power. I'd invest in two platforms. You can do this for under $2 easily. Rabbits can be killed with a dirty look; probably about the most fragile critter other than butterflies.

Rifles are easier to shoot prone. Figure out the role and then match the gun. You're kind of all over the place.

So 100+ yards but open field and woods?

I'd stick to a gun that serves the majority of your shooting. Starlings and pigeons don't take much energy to kill. Raccoons are a different level of power. I'd invest in two platforms. You can do this for under $2 easily. Rabbits can be killed with a dirty look; probably about the most fragile critter other than butterflies.

Rifles are easier to shoot prone. Figure out the role and then match the gun. You're kind of all over the place.

Yeah that is kinda my my thing I like to shoot far and close. Right now I get by with my at 44 but the lack of shot and leaky cylinder is making me look for replacements. The at 44 will probably become my close range gun unless I can find some one to mod it to a bottle gun.

Shot some slugs in my wolverine today. 33 gr and 29 shot good. But could be better. Shot at 50 yards and had 11/4 groups. But in all fairness did not have a very good rest and the wind was picking up coming down the hollow. Gonna get a better rest and try again tomorrow. Plus chronograph is on the way. Pellets are great so far 3/4 inch with the same conditions.

Gunner

for pigeons, starlings and squirrels. The .22 Uragan will do it all well past 150 yards with H&N 21 grain slugs at 840 FPS . Mine shoots sub moa out to 190. I’m just starting to test Nielsen’s and they shoot well too. 
Mine shoots slugs better than pellets at all distances.

Im testing the Vulcan in 25 and it is getting similar results. It likes the 27grain NSA and the 29.5.

the cz barrels shoot slugs extremely well at relatively low speeds and high speeds. There are numerous myths here that slugs have to be shot at high speeds.... it’s simply untrue with the cz barrels. I’m shooting them at 780- 840 with stunning results. 

Gunner

for pigeons, starlings and squirrels. The .22 Uragan will do it all well past 150 yards with H&N 21 grain slugs at 840 FPS . Mine shoots sub moa out to 190. I’m just starting to test Nielsen’s and they shoot well too. 
Mine shoots slugs better than pellets at all distances.

Im testing the Vulcan in 25 and it is getting similar results. It likes the 27grain NSA and the 29.5.

the cz barrels shoot slugs extremely well at relatively low speeds and high speeds. There are numerous myths here that slugs have to be shot at high speeds.... it’s simply untrue with the cz barrels. I’m shooting them at 780- 840 with stunning results. 

Woah sick post some sub moa 190d groups please!