• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Portable Generator

TMH,

I don't mean to sound flippant at all. The OP mentioned that generator and it sounded interesting but I remembered all the warranty battles I fought, and won, but hated it every time.

No doubt that one will likely have a better and easier overall ownership experience with top tier generators like Hondas and Yamahas. And although I am of the school of 'buy once, cry once', the price of admission on some of those is too high for many - especially for something which will only be for occasional use.

I have purchased lesser brands of generators and have had great luck - but I'm not a power user and I don't purchase down to the lowest level stuff (like HF). The only issue I had with one of them was likely my own fault (combined with the level of ethanol currently in gasoline). I now run my generators dry after each use, and they all continue to serve me well.

TMH,

I don't mean to sound flippant at all. The OP mentioned that generator and it sounded interesting but I remembered all the warranty battles I fought, and won, but hated it every time.

No doubt that one will likely have a better and easier overall ownership experience with top tier generators like Hondas and Yamahas. And although I am of the school of 'buy once, cry once', the price of admission on some of those is too high for many - especially for something which will only be for occasional use.

I have purchased lesser brands of generators and have had great luck - but I'm not a power user and I don't purchase down to the lowest level stuff (like HF). The only issue I had with one of them was likely my own fault (combined with the level of ethanol currently in gasoline). I now run my generators dry after each use, and they all continue to serve me well.

The price of the Honda is ridiculous and it was DIFFICULT to hand the credit card over to the salesperson but I smile very time I look at the generator. It's nice knowing that when my wife wants electricity, for whatever reason, I can be the hero and make it happen. Simple pleasures

I got away with the ethanol issue with my Honda mower and never emptied in 18 years. Still a first pull start every time.

The occasional use argument is one I flip over and look at it the other way around. If it's just sitting there for 9 months I especially want to know for sure it will work. Like you I am 'buy once, cry once'.

Hope the OP gets a great deal and it all works flawlessly.

Boy I am tired, GENERATOR not compressor

Choper

Actually what would be best is an 2000w inverter, like the above mentioned Honda 2000. Much quieter than industrial style gennys and no hard start kit/cap needed. Yamaha makes one also, as do many half the cost knock offs that all seem to work well but all the decent ones cost at least 500-$600. The honda $1000+

For the money spent, might be a good idea to get one of the small 12v hpa portable compressors to fill guns/small tanks only, instead of the same cost inverter/genny and still buy the YH for at home use. And spend the same amount but have 2 compressors instead of 1 YH and a genny/inverter...

Keep in mind any of these small <$2500 compressors (especially 12v ones) will have limited life spans, especially if filling large tanks....

jmo

YOU STOLE MY IDEA!!!

Well, both ideas use capacitors, I guess. I'm no electrical engineer, so I have no clue as to how large a capacitor would be needed to actually run a compressor. I'm just a guy who has had RVs, and I have installed a 'soft start kit' capacitor on a travel trailer's air conditioning unit so that I could run, but more importantly start the AC unit with a smaller, less powerful and less costly generator.

You mean like this one? It's already there from the factory. 

And is still requires 18+ amps to start up?

I read it on the net so it must be true? Still these things are not all the same but an extra three amps for start up seems quite reasonable to me.

20201215_142330.1608062714.jpg

Both options one portable the other not so much

Learning more and passing it along to all of you. 12 amps requires 3000 continuous wattage.. Will know more on Monday and post then as to required surge power. Only change from me , I went with the DAVV model 60s twin cylinder so these #'s are for that model. Going to use a generator in the field you have to know how many amps your compressor uses.

Choper