Porcupine down

Do they taste any good?
I don’t know how they taste, but some time back I read that in a survival situation porcupines are an easy food source. They are slow moving so they are easy to kill. Of course you need to be in the right part of the country to potentially find one. Came across one once while backpacking in PA. At first we did not know what it was, it was climbing a tree. My brother started climbing up after it. It didn’t seem to worried. Course it had a million quills ready to deploy.

I don’t know how they taste, but some time back I read that in a survival situation porcupines are an easy food source. They are slow moving so they are easy to kill. Of course you need to be in the right part of the country to potentially find one. Came across one once while backpacking in PA. At first we did not know what it was, it was climbing a tree. My brother started climbing up after it. It didn’t seem to worried. Course it had a million quills ready to deploy.
Sounds like situation prefaced by, “Hold my beer.”

Back in the 60's as a young kid when I lived in Pa., I had a good friend that lived out in the country a good 20 miles from where I lived. I'd spend at least one weekend a month out at his parent's place on 100 or so acres. Never did see a porcupine in the wild, but his pet lab racked up quite the vet bills because of them before his father started trapping them on their property. His lab was too stupid to learn from one mistake, he ended up at the vet at least half a dozen times, lost an eye the last time.

Reactions: MileHighAirGunner
Back in the 60's as a young kid when I lived in Pa., I had a good friend that lived out in the country a good 20 miles from where I lived. I'd spend at least one weekend a month out at his parent's place on 100 or so acres. Never did see a porcupine in the wild, but his pet lab racked up quite the vet bills because of them before his father started trapping them on their property. His lab was too stupid to learn from one mistake, he ended up at the vet at least half a dozen times, lost an eye the last time.
Had a veterinarian tell me one time that there are two types of dogs when it comes to porcupines. There are the ones that learn their lesson and then there are the ones who try to get even.

Had a veterinarian tell me one time that there are two types of dogs when it comes to porcupines. There are the ones that learn their lesson and then there are the ones who try to get even.
Actually, his lab was just too friendly and purely stupid, dumbest dog I've seen in my life. He just wanted to play with anything with 2 or 4 legs constantly, not a mean bone in his body. In the years I lived there, he never bit any animal, just nuzzled them, sniffed and licked them, and danced and barked playfully. I used to have a doberman, she was the smartest dog I've ever seen. She learned everything the first time, never had to train her for anything including house training as a puppy. She used to love to play with snakes, she'd pick them up and not hurt them, drop them in the open and chase them. One day she tried to pick up a copperhead, I know it was a copperhead because I was just a few feet from her when it happened. I killed the snake and brought the head in to the vet so they wouldn't question what got her. She survived after spending a few days at the veterinary hospital and ran like heck from anything without legs for the rest of her life, vet said it was a dry bite with just a tiny amount of venom. She even ran from newts, salamanders, anything that might remotely resemble a snake she headed for the next county.