Tuning Polyurethane washers

While I normally get my polyurethane 90 durometer o-rings from either the o-ring store or o-rings and more as their prices are good, FX uses a couple of oddball sizes that neither of those suppliers have in polyurethane 90 durometer… but as noted above, Mcmaster-Carr does. The price at Mcmaster is quite a bit more expensive, but they have them. Sometimes Amazon will have the 90 durometer polyurethane o-rings at a low price, but I’ve had mixed results with the quality of what actually arrives. Mcmaster has never let me down.

As far as sizes, FX lists all their o-ring sizes in the schematics in metric, the numbers are inner diameter and cross section. The majority of o-rings FX uses are metric, but any oddball size on the schematics (like 7.66 x 1.78) is actually an AS568 standard o-ring they’ve converted to metric… in this case 7.66 x 1.78mm converts to .301” x 0.070”, which is an -011 o-ring in AS568 sizing. The 2.9 x 1.78 o-ring you reference is actually a -006 AS568 standard o-ring.

As far as substituting an a buna-n o ring for a polyurethane... FX probably used a far more expensive polyurethane 90 o ring in those locations because a buna o ring won't last. Polyurethane o rings are much more abrasion and wear resistant when used on moving parts, which is why they're usually used on things like the fill valve piston, etc.