• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Polygonally rifled .25 barrel loading issue

I've got a 24" LW polygonally-rifled barrel on my Rapid 7, and am experiencing a strange problem when loading.

I have tried H&N FTTs, Predator Polymags, and JSB King Heavy Mk2 pellets, and all have the same issue.

Essentially, I have to use a fair bit of force to push the pellets into the breech - practically forcing them in. Do I need to size the pellets? Does the breech need a throat? Do you guys have any other suggestions? 

I've spoken to a gunsmith in the interim, and he has suggested that the breech needs a throat.

As to accuracy, I haven't yet zeroed the rifle. It's still a work in progress; it's going to be used for night hunting, with a Photon NV scope. The scope itself needs to be physically moved closer to optical zero, and I'm awaiting delivery of some fully adjustable mounts. Until they've been fitted, the only shooting I'm doing is just to lead the barrel.

I shall, of course, keep you informed. 

1544709822_8162076825c1266bee9e161.18481600_20181212_234425.jpg
Before and after going through the polygonal rifling.

The barrel was given a throat in the breech this evening (thanks to my mate, Richard), and now loads as smoothly as you'd want it to. Despite the difficulties of using an NV scope indoors, it was starting to group quite nicely at 25 yards. I need to put some more lead down the barrel. The scope is a Yukon Photon XT with the extreme conversion, and it's got the common problem of running out of adjustment to zero it. I bought a set of Sportsmatch fully adjustable mounts, and practically have it optically centered with them alone. I love a happy ending. 😁