• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Poll - Looking for the most reliable tank filling compressor

Hi Everyone,

I'm know I'm beating a dead horse but I'd like to know what you all think. I want to purchase a compressor that's capable of filling a Tiger Shark tank from www.airtanksforsale.com and don't really care if it's portable or not. I'm looking for a compressor with the least amount of maintenance required. I'd like to stay below $2K if possible. Let me now what you think. Thanks all!

The big question is how much are you wanting to spend? Less than 500, 500-1000, 1000-2000, 2000-4000. Another question is how fast are you wanting to fill or top off a tank like that? I think for right at $500 and if your not needing to fill that tank in 15min but could wait 1-1.5hrs the Shoebox is a great option especially if you already have a little shop compressor. If you've been following the forum you'll see it's a proven option. In the same price range and your wanting to top that tank off 15-20min than maybe a Yong Heng but you'll have to factor in more maintenance and the possibility of repairs. I'll leave it there and let others chime in if they wish on the mid range compressors. Now to get both reliability for the long haul and wanting to top that tank off in in 15min your probably going to want to dive in deep and spend at least $2k and up. Just my thoughts.

Jking

Two schools of thought:

LC-110 from AOA -- note I specifically mentioned AOA because I believe many of the compressors that have failed are not from AOA direct. Also other reports of failure seem to be related to filling large tanks and extended runtime. I own an LC-110 and use it to fill a 90cu-in tank because I have 200+ yard range here and shoot on my own property. I can refill the tank in a matter of minutes and my duty cycle is very low.

Shoebox -- assuming you have a high CFM oil-free shop compressor already to power it and you have the time to fill it. With everything being a trade off there are many reports of success and happy folks.

What I would consider the most is where do you plan to shoot? It might be better to refill a smaller tank multiple times than a large tank once. It's a lot of work to get to 4500 PSI and the longer a system is trying to achieve this pressure the greater the wear and tear and heat build-up.

All compressors, and guns involved with PCP, are going to need maintenance coupled with mechanical skills if you want to keep them running in top form. If working on them is not a cup of tea then sending them off to be worked on is the only option. That’s for sure where this hobby differs from the powder burner hobbies, is the periodic maintenances that have to be done. I’m not including reloading or gunsmithing when I say powder burners. I’m saying out of the box comparisons between the two. 

Sonny, you’re able to score on a brand new Alkin for $2900 WITH shipping included? All my research has shown at best minimum is $400 to ship, and $2900 to 3,400 base price no shipping or taxes.

If what your saying is true, $2900 out the door and in your hands, then yes, that is a very sweet deal. I’d sell off a couple of Daystates(if I had them, lol) to get one at that price, if I didn’t already just buy a used Alkin.

The way I’m thinking on selling guns to afford the compressor, is the guns will eventually land back in your arms. Just look at the classifieds. But how often is a Bauer, Nuvair, or Alkin ever in the classifieds?

How often is a Nomad II, Shoebox, Alpha Omega, Yong Heng, LC-110, Coltri MCH-6, Benjamin Traveler, etc in the classifieds :p That said, I know where to get an FX on the cheap :) :) :p :)

In the scuba world they say there is a Bauer and everyone else. It's not just that the other compressors are cheaper, btw, but I think it has to do with reliability over years and years of experience. I haven't seen any hard data other than the compressor survey on this forum. Also, one thing to keep in mind, Bauer compressors have significant resale value if you can swing the (hefty) initial investment.

Allen_wind has it right. There is Bauer and then there is everyone else in the PCP world as well. Bigragu has it right too, you don't find Bauer compressors in the classifieds very often and if you do the price is high. You do find them in the junk yards and then the price is scrap weight and a little bit. Bauer compressors are repairable. Parts are available. So finding a Bauer in the bone yard is a good deal in any condition.. I bought a bare pump 25 yrs. ago for $150 and sat in a junk pile in my shop until 3 yrs. ago when I got into PCP. I had to build a base, attach a motor and build, mount, plumb and wire in all the controls including sensors, gauges, power supply and electrical cabinet. I spent several days on the project. The biggest problem was finding, buying and waiting for delivery of all the parts. All in, it has cost me something less than $1,000. They can actually often be found in government surplus.

Bought my Bauer Jr II brand new in 2012, used it for the first time last summer. It has the moisture sensor and automatic shutoff. Got it from August Industries in TX. They have been great in answering any questions I had regarding using it. Topped off my Joe B Tiger Shark (72 cu/in) yesterday. Took 6 minutes. All the time I wasted driving to and from the dive shop from 2012-2019. I should have been shooting. I can get more money, time-not so much.

Hi All,

I'd go with the Bauer Jr. II electric. Easy to start, stop, and maintain (so far).

I'm somewhat lucky living in an active SCUBA diving area. It is rather common to find Bauer compressors on local for sale electronic bulletin boards. Getting them less than 6 years old at a reasonable price takes a bit of time and patience. 

I'd been using a Capitano II for awhile but the darn thing weighs in at over 300 lbs. I've switched to a Bauer Jr II. Much easier to move about and this model has 2 fill whips for 200 and 300 bar connections.

My only problem is that all my friends want their tanks filled :) Not a bad problem to have as these compressors are a bit overkill for PCP activity and really need the run time. 

If I had to do it all over again I'd just buy a pair of Great Whites to save time, space, my back, and money. Due to the active diving in the area, getting fills doesn't take much driving. I really don't do enough shooting to justify buying a compressor. Then again, try to justify PCP airguns!

Love the sport,

Nugria