• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Poll for AAFTA Unlimited class for 2023

I received a response from the AAFTA BoG for my proposal for an Unlimited class... here it is:

Dear Wayne,

Thank you for your interest and suggestions for keeping older shooters in the game. The AAFTA BOG has spent considerable time discussing, evaluating, and debating your proposal. We have reviewed all the points brought to our attention.

The BOG has several concerns regarding a sanctioned Unlimited Class.

· It could promote an equipment race, with expensive scopes and jackets needed to be competitive in that class.
· It would impose a burden on MD’s, as they would have to monitor and enforce another rule set.
· It would require 6 more awards at matches. (1st-3rd piston and PCP) There are already 24 awards to be given and most GP’s have less than 30 shooters attending.
· The main issues for many older shooters are standers and kneelers. An Unlimited Class would not provide any relief for those (apart from jackets.)
· AAFTA Nationals has “Top Veteran” PCP and Spring Awards to accommodate older shooters.
· We don’t believe that an Unlimited Class would have much effect on the number of shooters participating.
· We disagree that the sport of Field Target is “too hard for most shooters”. Hunter Class provides a very reasonable way to get into the game without an extreme cost and without having to practice the sit on the ground position.

The BOG has concluded that Unlimited should not be sanctioned and added to GP's and Nationals.

However, AAFTA would like to encourage local clubs to offer Unlimited Class for club shoots and plans to add recommendations for implementing this into the "suggestions" section of the Rules.

Respectfully,

Greg Sauve
AAFTA Chairman

Reactions: SqrlHntr and Podna
"The BOG has concluded that Unlimited should not be sanctioned and added to GP's and Nationals.
However, AAFTA would like to encourage local clubs to offer Unlimited Class for club shoots and plans to add recommendations for implementing this into the "suggestions" section of the Rules."

Now that they've taken the proposal into consideration, the matter is now decided. I feel it not only a good decision to allow individual match directors carte-blanche to accommodate any shooters in any way they see fit, but also that It would be counter-productive to recycle this particular subject in hopes the BOG might cave to continued lobbying. They won't.

By the way, I don't disagree with Scott. But I do suspect a lot of Open shooters do.

While we are on the subject of Extreme FT and weird , archaic rules: when are the Extreme Field Target match directors going to allow attached bipods? I sure would love to shoot laying down, just like the good Lord intended. That was the rule change that almost made me decide not to go to my first field target match. I have no idea why it was carried over to the Extreme side. With the emergence of air guns in NRL22 and PRS, it sure would make sense to allow people to compete in EFT with the same style and equipment as the other high powered air rifle matches.

Vote for one of these two Options. No comments please just vote (1) or (2)

1. Rules ........ Any aid or position you can use in the other AFFTA classes would be Legal at 12 ft lb.

2. Rules .......... Any aid or position you can use in the other AFFTA classes would be Legal at 20 ft lb.

This poll is only for concenus for what direction the unlimited class will pursue.

While we are on the subject of Extreme FT and weird , archaic rules: when are the Extreme Field Target match directors going to allow attached bipods? I sure would love to shoot laying down, just like the good Lord intended. That was the rule change that almost made me decide not to go to my first field target match. I have no idea why it was carried over to the Extreme side. With the emergence of air guns in NRL22 and PRS, it sure would make sense to allow people to compete in EFT with the same style and equipment as the other high powered air rifle matches.

It'd be neat to see an unlimited division in EFT but its more so, the wind, the offhand stages, and POI shifts, that gets us in this sport.

"I sure would love to shoot laying down, just like the good Lord intended."

Isn't that a rather loose, convoluted, and self-serving interpretation of ,"Thou shan't covet Thine neighbor's wife", and "Thou shan't shooteth Thine BB-gun from any posture not just like the good Lord intended"? :unsure:

Last edited:
"I sure would love to shoot laying down, just like the good Lord intended."

Isn't that a rather loose, convoluted, and self-serving interpretation of ,"Thou shan't covet Thine neighbor's wife", and "Thou shan't shooteth Thine BB-gun from any posture not just like the good Lord intended"? :unsure:
Some EFT events allow shooting prone, some don't, and some allow it, but the course doesn't (brush, hills, etc.). Just use the same bipod you use for bucket and sticks but with shorty legs. It works, I've been trying one out and it's just about as good as if it were attached.... We're left it up to the Match Directors, but the EFT GP series ENCOURAGES, but doesn't REQUIRE, bucket and sticks shooting position.

From the 2023 EFT GP rules:

11. Leagues/clubs will allow unattached bipods and shooting sticks.

NOTE: HOG SADDLES (such as the BOG Deathgrip) longer than 2 inches are not allowed, and bipods must be limited to 2 inches from front to back. Examples of allowed bipods are: Primos Trigger Stick or Vanguard Scout. Similar others are at the MD’s discretion.

12. Leagues/clubs may allow ANY shooting position in OPEN lanes.

However, Match Directors should discourage prone or pretzel (low) position shooting by using obstructions or other methods. Individual clubs may set their own rules for shooting position but should encourage “bucket and sticks” as much as possible.

- Extreme Field Target is not designed to be a higher power version of AAFTA Field Target!!! Be advised that Match Directors are intending to make it more like real hunting where you may or may not be able to see the target with the standard 15" line of sight to the target. Have fun and be ready for anything!

13. Forced position lanes (if used) will be standing with bipod for all GP events.

Note: Forced position lanes are not required for EFT GP events.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting the pertinent EFT rules Mike; thereby doing damage-control of my messes (as usual). You're actually getting better at it, in this case doing so proactively (before the fact).

How did you know I was about to past something (else) obnoxious like, "Thankfully Match Directors are bestowed divine powers to discriminate against belly-floppers as they see fit and appropriate. That being as it should be, in this (particular) case I have positioned every shooting line having clear views to the target kill-zones from contortionist shooting positions IN FIRE-ANT BEDS!"🥵:ROFLMAO:

Am I really THAT predictable?🥴

To paraphrase, GOOD WORK MIKE!

Thank you for posting the pertinent EFT rules Mike; thereby doing damage-control of my messes (as usual). You're actually getting better at it, in this case doing so proactively (before the fact).

How did you know I was about to past something (else) obnoxious like, "Thankfully Match Directors are bestowed divine powers to discriminate against belly-floppers as they see fit and appropriate. That being as it should be, in this (particular) case I have positioned every shooting line having clear views to the target kill-zones from contortionist shooting positions IN FIRE-ANT BEDS!"🥵:ROFLMAO:

Am I really THAT predictable?🥴

To paraphrase, GOOD WORK MIKE!
Deep Woods Off baby, yeah, that's the ticket! Hope it works on your Chigger infestation also!!!?