• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Politics?

I have never shot even a club airgun match, or any kind of game. However I have shot more then my fair share of fire arm games of all kinds.

For me I get more out of it shooting something off the wall then using "what the pro's use". There is something about smoking some guy with Anschutz across his back with an old marlin bolt rifle and a tasco 3x9 scope.

In all my times in shooting different types of games, and I did everything but long range, and if my body will work I would like to give that a try, but prone is very hard for me with my neck being fused in a few places....did I ever see, or read anything that came close to the "politics" or what I call snobbery that exists in the air gun world....it is a real turn off.

I think maybe the reason for so many Daystate guns is the fact that they can be retuned electronically in just a few seconds. So if the conditions on the range change so can your tune. Just guessing but it makes sense to me.

I'm not sure that's why, for the RW you have 3 set settings. Yes you can tune it on the fly I believe more or less but you need a 400$ accessory to do that and not sure if it takes seconds to do. Yes you can switch between the 3 settings in seconds. The Crown and Impact you can in seconds using several points of adjustment but it's mechanical not electrical. So many Daystates because they have an amazing new gun and wanted to represent. The RW .22 in HP is a gun I want to try no doubt, I would HAVE to spring for the tuning computer too knowing me. The HP Red Wolf and the new monster .22 is a match made in heaven.

Competition is great for the industry.

On an older FX I have I can change reg pressure in 2-3 minutes if I wanted, and change transfer port size and hammer spring tension in seconds. Being able to do this is nothing new, and so far it isn't easier to do using electronics. I can change from 350fps to 950 in seconds and anywhere between (using an easily to get at HST), I don't think that's possible using the Daystate electronics yet. 

DH, I often advise competition shooters against getting TOO serious, and sometimes you have to remind yourself shooting competitions are supposed to be all about having FUN. A large part of the reason I often give that advice is because I often forget it myself, and get so serious I'm not having fun unless I'm winning. Point is, you have a good point!

And though I get my jollies using antique and cheap airguns at the highest levels of competition, I do also have nice, new airguns (though not so competition-specific as to have little utility for anything else). Hey, much of the fun of airgunning is experimenting with equipment, and who doesn't like nice equipment?

I also often say the adage "practice makes perfect" is incorrect; since perfection is seldom/never achieved. However and as you state, practice makes proficient.

Much an ambassador as I am for field target competition, and am always trying to recruit new competitors, I've realized competition ain't for everybody. Nothing wrong with that.

I'll close as I often do-

Happy Shooting,

Ron 

DH, I often advise competition shooters against getting TOO serious, and sometimes you have to remind yourself shooting competitions are supposed to be all about having FUN. A large part of the reason I often give that advice is because I often forget it myself, and get so serious I'm not having fun unless I'm winning. Point is, you have a good point!

And though I get my jollies using antique and cheap airguns at the highest levels of competition, I do also have nice, new airguns (though not so competition-specific as to have little utility for anything else). Hey, much of the fun of airgunning is experimenting with equipment, and who doesn't like nice equipment?

I also often say the adage "practice makes perfect" is incorrect; since perfection is seldom/never achieved. However and as you state, practice makes proficient.

Much an ambassador as I am for field target competition, and am always trying to recruit new competitors, I've realized competition ain't for everybody. Nothing wrong with that.

Happy Shooting,

Ron

Ron... thanks for that. And even though I'm not very inclined to sign up for competitions... I'll never say I never will, because you never know! I just might turn up at one and enjoy it!

Happy Shooting,

Ron

I really agree with this.

I am also thinking why did I sign up for this forum, one comment was all I was going to do and now it is a part time hobby, talking to people I don't know on the internets....part of me thinks it is silly and something kids would do but it is kinda fun in and of itself.

But back to your point.....I am trying to think of a gun that I can shoot better, then it can shoot. Nope not happening.

Also in my new way of shooting, off a bench, I have found that the pellets really make a huge difference, not brand to brand or tin to tin....I am talking that one pellet that got a skirt deformed just a little.

In trying to take myself out of it....this is what I did the other day.

Shooting, (the gun does not matter) but the normal 10 round magazines. I have 5 of them, the gun is teathered. In my log book I make a note, mag 4 round 6 has a pellet with a skirt deformed....Now I am careful not to look at the mag numbers (I number all the mags, I guess it is a left over from my IPSC days) and I am shooting away....and sure enough that pellet is a flyer....and I mean really off in left field. This really shocked me.

Also in my new way of shooting, off a bench, I have found that the pellets really make a huge difference,

The great majority of my shooting is from the bench with Caldwell sand bags. This is such a solid, consistent approach that one can very quickly and easily determine what pellets are good performers and which ones aren't. There sure are dramatic differences from one brand/weight to another! Testing from the bench is great!