• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Polishing barrel

Aloha Treepharmer, 

Is this a new or used AT44? The reason I ask this is that I bought a used Hatsan bullboss .25 from a member on this forum and when I got it, the gun looked fine but when I shot the gun I could not get it to group at all 4 in @ 40 yds. no matter what pellets I tried. To make a log story short, I removed the barrel and found it to be bent, when I called the member I bought the gun from he said he didn't have that problem and all sales were final. So I ordered a new barrel from Hatsan and the gun shoots just under 1 in @ 50 yds. I believe the barrels are the same for the AT44 & the bullboss 19.5 in.

BTW the member that I bought the gun from is no longer active on this forum, I haven't seen a post from him in 1 1/2 years. 

Aloha, 

Keone

Try "slugging the bore" to feel how the pellet travels down the bore, and then measure the skirt and head diameter. Was it tight, loose, loose then tight (choke), or were there loose or tight spots along the length? I received a barrel that had a bulge in the middle of it. Not one who ever ran a patch down that barrel could ever miss that hollow spot!

Then, if the pellet is tight in the bore and feels good, try to figure out if the barrel is somehow loose, or the maybe scope internals are loose.

Another thing that may cause group size to open up is your line of sight through the scope. If the parralax is not set right or if you aren't consistent with how you look through the scope then it will show up in the group size.

Try the H&N Barracuda Hunter extremes. They are a slight bit heavier at 28.40 grains. For some reason that pellet always does well in any air rifle I use it on, including break barrels.

also, make sure you indexed the barrel correctly with transfer port alignment when you removed it. 

After you ran JB paste thru it, did you follow up with JB bore brite? I did both, then finished off with flitz polish. Nice and slick inside the barrel. 

Lastly, try lubing your pellets. There’s all kinds of recommendations for lubes, I use FP10 myself. Don’t go overboard with the lube. I dribble around 8-10 drops in a sand which zip lock bag, pour a tin of pellets in the bag, and knead the pellets so they all get lubed equally. Then drop them back in the tin.

its worth a try, right?

Attaboy, way too much good bourbon to be sipped to spend time on a bad barrel. I've still got some old/new barrels from my BR days that are waiting their turn as tomato stakes. Even the best makers turn out some bad ones. The problem with high level bench rest, the "bad" barrels may meet the maker's accuracy standard, but still not be competitive. These were powder cartridge barrels, but the same observation applies.