I cleaned the barrel on my HW95L .22 & POI was about 1.5" high at 25 yards with the same FPE of 718 which was 718 a couple of days before the cleaning. I used a pull through with several patches tied in and Ballistol on the first two and about 6 trips through the barrel. Should I check for something besides just a dirty barrel? Thanks

I made a mistake as it should be 718 FPS and not FPE & a shoutout to Triglav for this correction. The FPE averaged about 16.8.
FPE Formula is Pellet weight (gr) x FPS x FPS divided by 450240 or 450436.7.

Last edited:
I cleaned the barrel on my HW95L .22 & POI was about 1.5" high at 25 yards with the same FPE of 718 which was 718 a couple of days before the cleaning. I used a pull through with several patches tied in and Ballistol on the first two and about 6 trips through the barrel. Should I check for something besides just a dirty barrel? Thanks
If ballistols' residue remained in the barrel, then your gun is probably dieseling a bit (oil likely got into the cylinder too), or perhaps the pellets are now going through the barrel with less friction and therefore the POI changed. Also FPE isn't equal to velocity, velocity is merely a variable in the calculation of FPE, what you meant was velocity in 'feet per second' - FPS.

Reactions: Deerstalker
If ballistols' residue remained in the barrel, then your gun is probably dieseling a bit (oil likely got into the cylinder too), or perhaps the pellets are now going through the barrel with less friction and therefore the POI changed. Also FPE isn't equal to velocity, velocity is merely a variable in the calculation of FPE, what you meant was velocity in 'feet per second' - FPS.
You are correct as I should have said that the 718 was FPS from my Chrono and not FPE which averaged about 16.8 FPE.

Reactions: Triglav

I made a mistake as it should be 718 FPS and not FPE & a shoutout to Triglav for this correction. The FPE averaged about 16.8.
FPE Formula is Pellet weight (gr) x FPS x FPS divided by 450240 or 450436.7.
I assume you are using a scope.

Check all the screws ...including the scope screws. Check to see if the scope shifted back (hard to tell unless you have a witness mark prior). Do a box test with the scope.

re-chrono the gun

Print a group at 10 yards (again you need to know your previous 10 yard POI)...if it shift up too....something moved...or something happened to the barrel.

I assume you are using a scope.

Check all the screws ...including the scope screws. Check to see if the scope shifted back (hard to tell unless you have a witness mark prior). Do a box test with the scope.

re-chrono the gun

Print a group at 10 yards (again you need to know your previous 10 yard POI)...if it shift up too....something moved...or something happened to the barrel.
Yes, exactly that! Check all of the screws on the mounts of the scope and on the stock too, and also check for scope-creep. One way you can do that is to strap a piece of electrical tape (or any other non-moisture absorbing tape) behind the rear mount piece, if you're using a two piece mounting system, and then check, if the scope crept back any and with that stretched or even torn the tape by any amount, after some 30-50 shots. I'd personally recommend a one-piece mount, but two piece mounts work fine as well, for as long as they're quality made - Sportsmatch, Hawke, Falke... I'd avoid any chinese made ones, or even Gamo scope rings - I haven't had much luck with Gamo rings.

Dave, don't clean your barrel. You use quality H&N pellets. There's no need to clean your barrel. Cleaning your barrel will always change the POI and upset your accuracy. Sometimes for a couple hundred shots. It depends on how aggressive you cleaned it. Eventually you'll get back to where you were as you shoot the gun more.

I use beeswax furniture polish as a pellet lube and as my " cleaner" for my barrel. I dont get any lead build up, just some ocassional dust and other lite left over residue from the firing cycle. When it is time to clean, a simoke pull thru once or twice with a oatch and a shot of beeswax spray and all is good. Beeswax strips itself so no buildup. Never had any accuracy changes, yes it always needs a few shots to get back into condition, but never more than a half dozen. Been using it for over 30 years with 0 issues.
As far as your scope moving...my trick was to apply a tiney spot of " white out" on the underside of the scopevring where it contacts the scope tube and also a small dab on the dovetail. It dries quickly and if anything moves, you will see the crack/ gap opening in the dab of white out ..

Yes as it seems to be the results of the cleaning and not scope or loose screws/bolts. continue shooting has slowly brought the POI back to POA.
Another data point on the camp of you don't need to clean your barrel on a frequent basis unless there are accuracy issues.

My experience and also from reading various forums so far is that in general, for springers, dirty barrel impacting accuracy is not a common issue. No need to clean your barrel unless you are experiencing accuracy issues.

The only exceptions I've read about were airgunners shooting those "hard" lead Crosman pellets. More frequent cleaning may be necessary to maintain accuracy. 2nd exception is before shooting a new springer or a used springer you just bought. Start with a clean barrel to get a baseline (or start leading/re-leading your barrel)

Full disclosure. I shoot springer WFTF and I go thru about a tin of pellet every two weeks...last time I remember cleaning my barrel...no clue (maybe 8 months or more ago? my memory is rapidly failing with my advancing age...crap should have recorded that cleaning on my airgun log book).

Last edited: