• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

POI with change in magnification

Funny, I don't think POI will change at all. Strap the gun into a vise and it will (should) stack pellets all day long no matter what you do to the scope. The scope does nothing to the gun or the pellet.

Point of Aim (to achieve POI) will change if you are

#1 using SFP scope

-and-

#2 using hold over ( mil dots/cross hatch)

-or-

#3 Using a poorly made scope that has mechanical/desgin problems

Change to parralax did not change the gun, the pellet, the FPS or the trajectory.

changing Parallax changed what you saw through the scope, so it changed point of aim, rather than point of impact.

+1. Of course poi changed mp44 you induced parallax. 

No you should not see poi change when changing magnification. Yes you should be able to use your turrets to adjust for drop and even use the full range of turret movement without issues. No the scope does not need to be optically centered to work correctly. Of course all of those things rely on the quality of the scope. If you dont have a quality scope then you will probably have issues trying to use normal functions of the scope. If you want a scope to fully function buy higher quality scopes. 

3-9 at 40 yards wont be that bad for changes to POA. Go to a higher zoom like a 6-24 SFP scope and longer ranges like 75-100 yards and your holds will change dramatically from low to high magnification. This is why I no longer use SFP scopes on my PCPs. Powder burners shoot much flatter so it's not as noticeable. But will pellet trajectories it stands out quickly. 

Change to parralax did not change the gun, the pellet, the FPS or the trajectory.

changing Parallax changed what you saw through the scope, so it changed point of aim, rather than point of impact.

+1. Of course poi changed mp44 you induced parallax. 

No you should not see poi change when changing magnification. Yes you should be able to use your turrets to adjust for drop and even use the full range of turret movement without issues. No the scope does not need to be optically centered to work correctly. Of course all of those things rely on the quality of the scope. If you dont have a quality scope then you will probably have issues trying to use normal functions of the scope. If you want a scope to fully function buy higher quality scopes.

I don't think so. You could secure the rifle and while looking thru the scope, adjust the parallax adjustment and watch the crosshairs move. I first noticed something was wrong when sighting in at 15yds with the PA set at 15yds, when I moved to 35yds with the PA set for 35 and the group ( which was tight ) was not where it should be. I even put the scope up against a mirror, like when you are trying to set the crosshairs to optically centered and adjusted the PA and you could watch the crosshairs move in the same direction as when sighting in.

t think so. You could secure the rifle and while looking thru the scope, adjust the parallax adjustment and watch the crosshairs move.

Re read this part of your post. Ipso facto, you have proven the subtle difference between POI and POA. Set the gun in concrete so it can't move. Your POI is set. Take the scope off, POI does not change.

Put the scope on backwards, the POI does not change get. Put the scope on sideways, the POI does not change. 

Now, mount the scope and play with the dials and the AO. The crosshair move like a monkey on a hot roof. Now you are moving the POINT of AIM. 

t think so. You could secure the rifle and while looking thru the scope, adjust the parallax adjustment and watch the crosshairs move.

Re read this part of your post. Ipso facto, you have proven the subtle difference between POI and POA. Set the gun in concrete so it can't move. Your POI is set. Take the scope off, POI does not change.

Put the scope on backwards, the POI does not change get. Put the scope on sideways, the POI does not change. 

Now, mount the scope and play with the dials and the AO. The crosshair move like a monkey on a hot roof. Now you are moving the POINT of AIM.

Yes, of course, if the gun was secured POI would not change, I didn't say it did. I said if the gun was secured you could see the crosshair move not the POI. 

I recently had an epiphany regarding my sloppy conflation of POI and POA. A few minutes of clarity made me realise that I had freely used POI incorrectly many times. I resolved to not make that mistake again. Sloppy use of the language is a huge personal pet peeve. I strive for accuracy with my air guns, why not also strive for correctness and accuracy when we speak about them also?

Start the new guys off right with the correct verbiage and context, and they will have a much easier time learning the art of the airgun .